New Flagship from Audio-Technica: ATH-W3000ANV, 50th Anniversary Headphones
Jun 18, 2012 at 5:08 AM Post #2,853 of 3,599
Just pulled the trigger on a pair of W3000.  I have only owned AD900 and ESW9 in the past (both good headphones) and at $999 AUD, I thought the flagship woody ATH was worth picking up.  Be interested to see how they pair with my Violectric V200 and sound in comparison to T1 and LCD2.

Jun 18, 2012 at 8:29 AM Post #2,855 of 3,599
Quote:
Just pulled the trigger on a pair of W3000.  I have only owned AD900 and ESW9 in the past (both good headphones) and at $999 AUD, I thought the flagship woody ATH was worth picking up.  Be interested to see how they pair with my Violectric V200 and sound in comparison to T1 and LCD2.

"just when i thought i was out... they pull me back in." welcome back to head-fi and nice work picking up the w3000anv for under a grand.
smile.gif

Jun 18, 2012 at 10:22 AM Post #2,856 of 3,599
Quote:

I'd be interested in your thoughts on the W3000ANV versus the ESW9.  I'm very satisified with the W3000 and have been thinking about picking up a pair of the ESW9 for travel and the office.  I've also thought about the CKW1000ANV but can't find many opinions on those.

Jun 18, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #2,857 of 3,599
Quote:

Good price, i though i did well getting them here for $974 USD but AUD is even cheaper.  I have the ESW9, a very different sound sig to me in the W3000anv, way higher end refined and fuller.  

I just got the es10 too.  Seems like all of these AT's that i have sound very different.  Although the 9 and 10 do share some of the same attributes(mids and highs), the weighting of the bass is very different.....add that to the cup size difference and it is a really different sound.  I think the esw9 is better balanced but the es10 is a fuller sound, more of a full sized, just takes a bit to acclimate to the the bass for me sometimes.

The W3000anv is just so detailed and has such great instrument separation on my system that I can't even make a comparison to the other two.  I do have the v200 which i exclusively listened to them with originally until i saw how good they worked with the Zana Deux and haven't been back.  I am just now ready to revisit it though because it is a good sound as well, just not as deep a soundstage as the Zana and not quite as clear.  On the other hand i remember it being quite a bit warmer.  ---ramble ramble ramble....

Edit-actually now don't hear the warmth just fills it in a bit.  Loving Jerry's noodling on the v200/W3000 at this time.

Jun 18, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #2,858 of 3,599
Quote:
I'd be interested in your thoughts on the W3000ANV versus the ESW9.  I'm very satisified with the W3000 and have been thinking about picking up a pair of the ESW9 for travel and the office.  I've also thought about the CKW1000ANV but can't find many opinions on those.

Unfortunately it has been nearly 4 years since I had the ESW9, and as memory is a poor comparator I don't think I will be able to oblige you.  I do remember the ESW9 being a great portable sound straight from a DAP. Efficient, warm, punchy, fairly balanced and fun.  They were around $459 AUD back then and now they are $289 AUD, must be one of the headphone bargains of today.  I doubt that the ESW9 and the W3000 will have a lot in common (supra-aural vs Circuaural) however as a decent portable for what is now fairly cheap, you can't go wrong with an ESW9.

Jun 19, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #2,859 of 3,599
I have both, and actually they are both the only Japan-imports I own. The ESW-9 is simply not in the same league, not just construction-wise (as pointed out above) but even sound-wise. It was my first "head-fi-level" product before I even knew the term and I was delighted at the time about the improvement it gave me over my previous gear, esp when used with the Fiio e7 + LOD cable connected to my classic, another tentative step down the head-fi path. I enjoyed many hours of listening to that combo (and wanted more)

But if I go back to it now right after listening to the W3000 or even the W5000 (which is in some ways even more removed), it's just not very good, or perhaps I would rather say not to my taste anymore after listening to all the high-end cans. It is very pop-oriented with too much not-well-controlled bass (while still not managing to go as low as the W3000) and a bit muffled or perhaps just lacking the clarity I have come to enjoy (using the same component chain than my full-size headphones before anybody asks)

It will very likely be on the market in a nice ATH hard case pretty soon, since the closest portable solution to my current taste is the Shure 535 IEM + Fiio E17 (surprisingly close actually, albeit a bit uncomfortable after trying various tips... on the other so much more isolating than the ESW-9)

Jun 19, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #2,860 of 3,599
Quote:

I own both. The ESW9 is my most used headphone. I actually own two, one of which I had re-cabled with APS v3 (the stock cable is crappy). The sound quality of the W3000 is obviously superior, but I use the ESW9 un-amped for work and think it sounds great. I also own a pair of UE-10pros, which have superior sound quality, but I rarely use because the ESW9 is more practical for me. It's portable, comfortable, closed, but not sealed since I need to be able to hear when people talk to me at work.

Edit: I don't travel much, but an IEM would be better for this due to the isolation. 

Jun 19, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #2,861 of 3,599
Quote:
I have both, and actually they are both the only Japan-imports I own. The ESW-9 is simply not in the same league, not just construction-wise (as pointed out above) but even sound-wise. It was my first "head-fi-level" product before I even knew the term and I was delighted at the time about the improvement it gave me over my previous gear, esp when used with the Fiio e7 + LOD cable connected to my classic, another tentative step down the head-fi path. I enjoyed many hours of listening to that combo (and wanted more)

But if I go back to it now right after listening to the W3000 or even the W5000 (which is in some ways even more removed), it's just not very good, or perhaps I would rather say not to my taste anymore after listening to all the high-end cans. It is very pop-oriented with too much not-well-controlled bass (while still not managing to go as low as the W3000) and a bit muffled or perhaps just lacking the clarity I have come to enjoy (using the same component chain than my full-size headphones before anybody asks)

It will very likely be on the market in a nice ATH hard case pretty soon, since the closest portable solution to my current taste is the Shure 535 IEM + Fiio E17 (surprisingly close actually, albeit a bit uncomfortable after trying various tips... on the other so much more isolating than the ESW-9)

The construction of the ESW9 is not great. I've actually had to have both of mine repaired for the same problem (plastic earcup swivel piece breaking). Fortunately, AT repaired them quickly and for free since they were under warranty.

Jun 19, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #2,862 of 3,599
I had the same problem with the esw9 but mine was an original batch from Japan and had no US service so i have superglued it twice, bad system, good sound. I agree that its a steal at around 200 usd at Beach Camera.

Jun 19, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #2,863 of 3,599
Thanks for all the replies on the ESW9.  You all just saved me a couple hundred dollars because it doesn't sound like what I'm looking for.  I've had a pair of Ety ER4P for years and when I want total isolation (Travel,mowing) they get the call.  I also recently picked up a pair of Miles Davis Trumpet for the office that I've been happy with, I don't get as much isolation as the Etys but block out most background and I can hear my phone ring.  I'm still curious about the ATH CKW1000ANV if anyone has some feedback on those.  Seems no matter how satisfied I am with what I have there's always that other headphone/amp/DAC I'm still wondering about, but the W3000ANV is still top of my chart by quite a margin........

Jun 20, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #2,864 of 3,599
W3000ANV arrived today.  Ordered late Monday night, turn up early Wednesday morning-Addicted 2 Audio are a great Aussie audio retailer with excellent prices (2/3 the price of anywhere else and way cheaper than importing), range and service.  Sorry for the plug, but George deserves it.

I have only my first impressions (obviously as I have only had them for several hours) but I can report they meet my expectations.  Beautiful headphone in the flesh, but everyone already knows that.  Fairly balanced sound signature with a bit of bias towards the mids and plenty of sizzle at the top, without being sibilant, so slightly r frequency response to my ears.  That's not to say bass lacks quality, because it extends and it is tight, but not excessive quantity or dominant (not a bass head can).  Vocals and strings stand out as outstanding, great with acoustic music.  The AT Japan Woody seems fast, detailed and clear, with very good instrument separation and a decent and realistic sound-stage.  They do not sound like a closed headphone and are the most "open sounding" closed fon I have heard.  I am still playing with the slightly fickle fit, but I don't think that is going to be an issue for me, although they will never be head thumping material.

All up an excellent headphone that warrants its place along side LCD2 and T1, which is quite an achievement for a closed design.

Jun 20, 2012 at 7:43 AM Post #2,865 of 3,599
glad you're enjoying it kernmac.
smile.gif
it is a nice headphone and i prefer it to the t1. i know this is off-topic but i'm intrigued as to why you returned to head-fi after announcing your departure in such an emphatic fashion. so what brought you back?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back