New Flagship from Audio-Technica: ATH-W3000ANV, 50th Anniversary Headphones
Dec 14, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #871 of 3,599

Quote:
What happened to AT HA5000? This amp was specifically designed for AT W5000, so, I am kind of confused why you are so confused. It goes around USD 850 on the used market and way cheaper than all others been mentioned, except Yammy, which will be the same, I believe.

To be perfectly honest, I haven't got the faintest idea what happened to the HA5000.
And I was just wondering the same thing since I stumbled across your review on the HA5000, Yammy and Phonitor, which I enjoyed reading btw.
I must also say I've been reading up so much here on HF that things are starting to mix up and the letters are starting to blur. 

Now, scrolling back a bit I see that after my question MuppetFace answered and mentioned only tube amps. From there on I seem to have been talking about only tube amps. I blame MuppetFace! 
wink_face.gif

No, seriously, I am considering the HA5000, Zana, Sonett, HP4 and LF. Hopefully, I didn't leave one out this time. I just wonder if the HP4 and LF don't have too much gain for these sensitve cans.

Dec 14, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #872 of 3,599

Quote:

Now, scrolling back a bit I see that after my question MuppetFace answered and mentioned only tube amps. From there on I seem to have been talking about only tube amps. I blame MuppetFace! 
wink_face.gif

I mentioned the Phonitor and Auditor, didn't I? 
smile.gif

As for the HA5000, I've recommended it many times in this thread, especially as a cheaper alternative when the HA5000ANV was mentioned. It's just unfortunate that the few HA5000ANV + W3000ANV impressions thus far have all been underwhelming and mention too much brightness.

For what it's worth, I thought the HA5000 + W5000 wasn't too bright, and the W5000 is a brighter overall headphone compared to the W3000ANV.

Dec 14, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #873 of 3,599

Quote:

I mentioned the Phonitor and Auditor, didn't I? 
smile.gif

As for the HA5000, I've recommended it many times in this thread, especially as a cheaper alternative when the HA5000ANV was mentioned. It's just unfortunate that the few HA5000ANV + W3000ANV impressions thus far have all been underwhelming and mention too much brightness.

For what it's worth, I thought the HA5000 + W5000 wasn't too bright, and the W5000 is a brighter overall headphone compared to the W3000ANV.

Indeed you did! *blush*
I seem to have read over it just now. Really got to stop reading for tonight before I mix things up even more.

Still considering the HA5000, it seems to get cheaper an cheaper compared to some other options.

Dec 15, 2011 at 1:30 AM Post #874 of 3,599
Speaking of amps, I'm curious about the tube and balanced SS amps from ecp audio that were recently released. I do know the guys have been working on a good kit amp for some time but just saw they released a couple of serious amps that may be worth considering as well.

Dec 15, 2011 at 9:26 AM Post #875 of 3,599

Any updates on your DAC, Otus?

I'm definitely interested in reading your impressions on the ORB. Seems like an esoteric device few folks around these parts have heard about, much less heard. Those are always some of my favorites.

It's in Finland now, but who would've guessed, the FedEx-pooheads are not giving the customs the information needed to complete the clearance. I sent the information required two days ago to FedEx. Estimated delivery, next tuesday. And also, got my current DAC sold. This is going to be one pathetic setup for the weekend. xD

Dec 16, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #877 of 3,599
Still no progress on my new DAC... FedEx claims me that there's no problem and that they'll deliver it as soon as possible! Seriously, if I would have been sure that I'll never need their service again, I would have told them exactly what I think after I received the phones. ATH-W3000ANV rests through the weekend. My home theatre's Wharfedale Diamond 10.7 speakers and Onkyo TX-SR608 sound absolutely pathetic in comparison...

Dec 16, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #878 of 3,599
I decided on the amp and just ordered it.
Thanks to everyone for your advice, especially MuppetFace and Blackmore.

I didn't take the HP4 as I am concerned about synergy with AT's (it's known to be very good with Grado's} and possible hum with AT's. I passed on a nice chance for a hard to find second hand amp that I find too expensive new. I'll keep wondering about this one I'm afraid.
Nor did I take the hybrid LF since I understand it's developed with ortho's in mind and it might be overkill and not what I need.
I decided to wait with the tube amps (Zana and Sonett) as well as those will still be readily available new in the future.

The HA5000 it is thus and I went for the ANV version anyway even though there isn't much difference.
I feel the very limited production might have it's benefits in the long run should I ever sell it, and if not I'll enjoy it's exclusiveness paired with the matching W3000ANV.

I ordered the last one they had after email contact and it should be shipping tomorrow. By zeppelin again I'm afraid ... (EMS Express) 

Dec 16, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #880 of 3,599
Received my W3000anv and am glad I picked them up.I would have missed them till AT released another flagship. They look gorgeous and fit very comfortably for me. W5000 was a bit loose and W1000x was a little uncomfortable for me due to the pads touching my ears.Build quality is not as good as W5000 - the opening near cable entry is not well  finished, there are visible gaps.The pads are very soft and I like the brown silk cover on the cable as well.

Definitely these do sound better and very different to the two. Out of the box listening through my portable rig of Fostex HP-P01 and Mustang, the vocals sounded a bit strange, probably due to the cupped hand effect described earlier in the thread. Hope it goes away with time. Will be able to try with my Yammy and Naim Headline 2 with Benchmark DAC only post Christmas due to travel.

But surprise, surprise...after listening to a few songs, I found these phones to be excellent for rock and heavy metal music ! Listening to Enter Sandman from Metallica currently and it is tough to keep off the smile. I never expected an AT can to have the slam to please me with rock music. The W5000 was laid back and W1000x had too much bass and vocals sounded a little far off to my liking. These sound perfect and challenge my Grado GS1000i and Denon AHD 5000. I expect them to sound even better with my home rig.

Dec 16, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #881 of 3,599
Congrats!
I'm intersted to see your further comparisons between the W3000, W1000X and W5000.
By the way, have you tried Death Magnetic with the W1000X. I listened to most of the CD yesterday and have to say bass was well under control.

Mine just arrived at customs over here about 20 minutes ago.
I track stuff with Junecloud Delivery Status by the way for those who don't know it.
They have widget for OSX and an iPhone app. You get instantly notified if there is a change.
Great if you have some important stuff incoming.

Dec 16, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #882 of 3,599
You are the most welcome and what an great choice, congrats well done!

Where are you located, cos I am coming  over
wink.gif

Quote:
I decided on the amp and just ordered it.
Thanks to everyone for your advice, especially MuppetFace and Blackmore.

I didn't take the HP4 as I am concerned about synergy with AT's (it's known to be very good with Grado's} and possible hum with AT's. I passed on a nice chance for a hard to find second hand amp that I find too expensive new. I'll keep wondering about this one I'm afraid.
Nor did I take the hybrid LF since I understand it's developed with ortho's in mind and it might be overkill and not what I need.
I decided to wait with the tube amps (Zana and Sonett) as well as those will still be readily available new in the future.

The HA5000 it is thus and I went for the ANV version anyway even though there isn't much difference.
I feel the very limited production might have it's benefits in the long run should I ever sell it, and if not I'll enjoy it's excluviness paired with the matching W3000ANV.

I ordered the last one they had after email contact and it should be shipping tomorrow. By zeppelin again I'm afraid ... (EMS Express) 

Dec 16, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #883 of 3,599
La Belgique, mon ami. Luckily for you I'm of the dutch speaking variety. 
wink_face.gif
 About 230 km from you and you'de be welcome!

Or as I said to tohenk2 yesterday in this thread, if you guys up north plan to hold a meet, feel free to let me know, I'd be happy to drive somewhere north and bring some gear along.

And thanks. Happy with my decision! 
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 16, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #884 of 3,599
Hope you'll like the ATH-HA5000ANV! That was in my thoughts earlier, but the gain would have probably been too high for my system back then. The price was a real turn-off, no matter how nice it looks, it's hard to justify that with the "standard" ATH-HA5000 around. ATH-W3000ANV on the other hand seems like some sort of deal actually, compared to ATH-W1000X for example.

Dec 16, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #885 of 3,599
How is the HA-5000ANV going for those people that are using it? I remember the one I tried being a bit bright and harsh, so I'm wondering if that changes with time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back