New Flagship from Audio-Technica: ATH-W3000ANV, 50th Anniversary Headphones
Dec 6, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #751 of 3,599
Ordered an ORB JADE-1 LTD to take place as my source and amp. Hopefully it sounds good. = ) Looking to take a break from upgrading... These phones do sound fantastic even now though.

Dec 6, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #752 of 3,599
Wind -- the ZDSE that I have is very sensitive to tube rolling so it is definitely worth it to try some. Some headphones can sound anemic with the stock tube IMO and some more sensitive to impedence ~ ie a tube that sounds great with my hd800 has a lot of tube noise with hp-2.

Also the price I am getting from pricejapan shows $1452 SHIPPED.  Is that the original price??

Dec 6, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #753 of 3,599

Quote:

Also the price I am getting from pricejapan shows $1452 SHIPPED.  Is that the original price??

That is within a few bucks of what i paid from price japan.  i was not one of the original pre-orders, though.  i ordered just as the first few impressions started to come in so i don't know if this is really a higher price.

Dec 6, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #754 of 3,599

Quote:
That is within a few bucks of what i paid from price japan.  i was not one of the original pre-orders, though.  i ordered just as the first few impressions started to come in so i don't know if this is really a higher price.

The price on PriceJapan is actually LOWER now.

Dec 6, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #755 of 3,599
I'm seeing $1430 shipped on eBay

And actually 1365 shipepd via PriceJapan with EMS.

I may bite just to check these out.  Not impressed with the previous AT cans I've heard --- fit nor sound -- I think it was w5000

Dec 6, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #756 of 3,599
I tested, the price to EU is about 75€ more expensive at the moment, than it was when I pre-ordered.

Dec 6, 2011 at 1:24 PM Post #758 of 3,599

Quote:
I may bite just to check these out.  Not impressed with the previous AT cans I've heard --- fit nor sound -- I think it was w5000

For what it's worth, I've heard most of the AT woodies (save for the W10LTD), and I would personally place the W5000 toward the lower middle in terms of ranking. The W3000ANV would be at the very top along with the W11R, W10VTG, and W2002.

IMHO it's their all-around best woodie so far. 

Dec 6, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #759 of 3,599
Thanks for the great posts people. I finally gave into my temptation and bit the bullet...love this place !!!  Couldn't resist the thought of  W3000ANV sitting along with 1000x and 5000, driven through my beloved Yammy HA 02. By the impressions so far, these seem to be very enjoyable phones. I can only dream of how it will sound  till some friend of mine brings these phones from Singapore. 

I like my AT rig more than Stax, and Wind confirmed I am not alone. Please have the impressions coming. Any comparisons to W5000 (which are my current favorite phones) is much appreciated. 

Dec 7, 2011 at 7:06 AM Post #761 of 3,599

Quote:

On a somewhat unrelated note... anyone try the new Ear Suit 88 yet? Looks like a better Ear Suit 7.

I'll look out for them next time I'm in one of the electronics stores. For whatever reason, my local stores are very slow when it comes to putting up the latest models for demo.

Oh, by the way, a good unboxing video:

Dec 7, 2011 at 11:06 AM Post #763 of 3,599

#0052 (early cans)
Six hours of burn in and i must say that this cans adds to my list of
one of the Best Weird Headphones i have heard so far. While it may
be sensible to compare to other AT series, i find my self reluctant
to compare these to other branded headphones with a thumbs up or down coz
the w3k is just one of a kind!!
There is just something that makes these cans sounded very special in a
strange way that captivates my ears and enough to convince me to
keep these goodies for the price.
The distance of the sound is just right for me, not too far and not
too upfront. Plenty of subtlety that i have to confirm with more burn in
and extended listening, while cooling down my hype before i can talk more
for these cans.
They did maintain the fatigue friendly property of AT headphones (at least
for me) in the w3k,i found my self being able to listen at slightly higher
volume with less fatigue. They sounded crisp (especially female vocals)
with great clarity resolution and speed out of the box, has brightness which
is tolerable and acceptable amount of bass. I maintained my smile the
whole listening session coz these cans are just enjoyably weird.

Going for a trip for the next 4 days, i will miss these cans.

Dec 7, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #764 of 3,599
Regarding the fit issues which can be different for everyone I thought the fit was troublesome at the upper part of my ear since it didn't had much grip. However if I wear the headphone with the wings slightly more towards the back of my head the fit is just perfect and comfortable to me. I'm not going to think of bending.

wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back