New Flagship from Audio-Technica: ATH-W3000ANV, 50th Anniversary Headphones
Dec 4, 2011 at 3:26 AM Post #706 of 3,599
I was at Yodobashi Camera today looking to see what familiar electronics they had -- I wanted a Fostex HP-P1 and, on the off chance they had a pair, asked about the W3000. Suffice to say, they only have two pairs left now. 

I do think, if you want ATs that sound outright weird, the A2000X would be the winner. They garnered the biggest What from me when I tried them in-store on a Luxman P-1u rig.  Some of the weirdness is probably fit, as they seem to change quite radically depending on how and where they sit on my head. I think if I didn't have 009s, I'd be very happy keeping these. I might hold onto them for a while as they can be quite enjoyable.

Dec 4, 2011 at 4:13 AM Post #707 of 3,599

Quote:
I was at Yodobashi Camera today looking to see what familiar electronics they had -- I wanted a Fostex HP-P1 and, on the off chance they had a pair, asked about the W3000. Suffice to say, they only have two pairs left now. 

I do think, if you want ATs that sound outright weird, the A2000X would be the winner. They garnered the biggest What from me when I tried them in-store on a Luxman P-1u rig.  Some of the weirdness is probably fit, as they seem to change quite radically depending on how and where they sit on my head. I think if I didn't have 009s, I'd be very happy keeping these. I might hold onto them for a while as they can be quite enjoyable.

I've been wanting to hear the A2000X for a while now, especially as the X series can be pretty unpredictable even by AT standards.

As for weirdness... I think there's a spectrum which runs from 'mildly eccentric' to 'stark raving mad.' All things in moderation as they say.

Dec 4, 2011 at 4:45 AM Post #708 of 3,599
Guys, some of you are referring to flimsy build quality. Are you comparing to w5000 ,w2002 or w1000x?
I've never had a problem with w5000 build quality but departure from this level will not be appreciated in flagship model.

Dec 4, 2011 at 5:50 AM Post #709 of 3,599

Quote:
Guys, some of you are referring to flimsy build quality. Are you comparing to w5000 ,w2002 or w1000x?
I've never had a problem with w5000 build quality but departure from this level will not be appreciated in flagship model.

For me, it's actually a matter of 'perceived build quality' rather than actual build quality, and I certainly wouldn't use the word 'flimsy'. Only time can tell what the actual quality of the new design is. It's just that, even limiting the comparison to just the W5000 the construction of the wings and the headband in particular does feel less solid in the W3000 than it does with the W5000. These are minor gripes, I have no real indication that anything will break in the short term, especially when you take care of the headphone. (Dedicated case, etc. Oops, another thing AT forgot. 
regular_smile .gif
) After all, these still are boutique headphones, not studio headphones build to survive the rough studio life.

And, most importantly, I've heard few people complain yet about the sound!

Dec 4, 2011 at 6:19 AM Post #710 of 3,599
I personally compared to ATH-W1000X. Part of the feel comes from the rubber tubes covering the arches, but for example, if you try to pull the arches apart from each other, it's easy with ATH-W3000ANV, while ATH-W1000X feels much more sturdy. But still, I intend to use them both normally and have no fear of either breaking.

Dec 4, 2011 at 7:39 AM Post #711 of 3,599
Drosera,You've got them from EU distributor or import. I was hoping for EU full warranty if I will buy new.

Dec 4, 2011 at 8:43 AM Post #713 of 3,599
Hmm, I'm selling my Musical Fidelity's, actually sold the amp already, and looking for new equipment for my dear headphones as soon as possible. Damnit, why did the amp have to go first! xD

Dec 4, 2011 at 9:05 AM Post #715 of 3,599
I don't know about that. I find it interesting looking and the design offers sort of protection to the plugs and button too. Still, did not buy it and will not do so later.

Dec 4, 2011 at 9:11 AM Post #716 of 3,599

Quote:
For me, it's actually a matter of 'perceived build quality' rather than actual build quality, and I certainly wouldn't use the word 'flimsy'. Only time can tell what the actual quality of the new design is. It's just that, even limiting the comparison to just the W5000 the construction of the wings and the headband in particular does feel less solid in the W3000 than it does with the W5000. These are minor gripes, I have no real indication that anything will break in the short term, especially when you take care of the headphone. (Dedicated case, etc. Oops, another thing AT forgot. 
regular_smile%20.gif
) After all, these still are boutique headphones, not studio headphones build to survive the rough studio life.

And, most importantly, I've heard few people complain yet about the sound!

compare the w3000 and w5000,the 3-d wing is the worst part,i can hardly feel it support my head,ends up the pressure goes under my ear,and is a little loose .

Dec 4, 2011 at 9:25 AM Post #717 of 3,599

Quote:
compare the w3000 and w5000,the 3-d wing is the worst part,i can hardly feel it support my head,ends up the pressure goes under my ear,and is a little loose .

I actually don't think the wings were intended to hold up the entire weight of the headphone. I suspect that the headphone should actually clamp a little and that clamping effect should do most of the work of holding the headphone on your head and then the wings will just lend some additional support. Of course, for most 'head shapes' this can only be achieven with some judicious remodelling of the headband. But after I had done that the wings work great and simply do their part.

As long as you don't start headbanging, that is...
wink.gif

Dec 4, 2011 at 9:45 AM Post #718 of 3,599

Quote:

I actually don't think the wings were intended to hold up the entire weight of the headphone. I suspect that the headphone should actually clamp a little and that clamping effect should do most of the work of holding the headphone on your head and then the wings will just lend some additional support. Of course, for most 'head shapes' this can only be achieven with some judicious remodelling of the headband. But after I had done that the wings work great and simply do their part.

As long as you don't start headbanging, that is...
wink.gif

i wear the w5000 with no problem,and i don't have the "head shapes' problem
angry_face.gif
. really wondering how strong is that thinny little metal inside of the rubber wrap.

Dec 4, 2011 at 10:06 AM Post #719 of 3,599
I will say this about the W3000ANV...while I know they aren't really even all that close to neutral, I am finding it very hard to take them off my head! I have been REALLY enjoying listening to music through them.  I think what some other folks have more or less said above is really right, that while they have a distinct sound, that sound is highly enjoyable the majority of the time.

Ive actually been a bit surprised at just how much I do like these, given that traditionally the high-end AT sound hasn't been my thing. But the W3000ANV is a very enjoyable listen.

Dec 4, 2011 at 10:19 AM Post #720 of 3,599

Quote:
i wear the w5000 with no problem,and i don't have the "head shapes' problem
angry_face.gif
. really wondering how strong is that thinny little metal inside of the rubber wrap.

I guess we can say that the whole 'wing concept' is not a brilliant design, if only because it's doesn't seem to work universally with most 'head shapes'. I've never heard anyone complain about 'fit problems' with Beyerdynamic headphones, for example.

That said, my older AT W100 fits me perfectly without any readjustment...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back