New Flagship from Audio-Technica: ATH-W3000ANV, 50th Anniversary Headphones
Nov 25, 2011 at 6:19 AM Post #482 of 3,599
After 4 days of use comparison/impressions:

I may or may not do a mini-review of the W3000ANV eventually but for the past hour just now I tried to compare the W3000ANV to my Stax O2mk1. For the first half hour I was thinking, "Man, the Stax actually sounds really close to the W3000ANV. The W3000ANV doesn't seem to be warmer than my Stax O2, the soundstage is all weird, and the treble is kind of messed up." So comparing back and forth for half an hour and I was shocked why I had thought the W3000ANV was better for vocals before. I was also left wondering why I thought the W3000ANV was warmer sounding. So I looked at my W3000ANV's left wooden cup and it said "RIGHT" in big, brilliant gold lettering...

Anyways, after another half hour of wearing the W3000ANV correctly and comparing with the Stax O2mk1, I'm left wondering if there is any reason for me to keep the Stax O2mk1. The W3000ANV is better for every genre I listen to. It's far better for vocals, better for acoustic music, definitely better for pop and hip hop, and definitely better for rock. I'm not the type of person that collects things. I prefer a minimal but quality approach to things. During these 4 days, both the Stax O2mk1 and Audio Technica W11R were about to pack up their belongings to find a new home. Yet, I wonder if I would regret doing so, but I honestly can't find a reason to just keep them. OK, there's one reason for each. The W11R is a way better headphone for watching TV shows and the Stax is more airy sounding.

Before I had the W3000ANV, I kept the W11R because it portrayed vocals in a more intimate and romantic way than the Stax. Now the W3000 does that better than the W11R. I kept the Stax because it was less fatiguing and a bit more detailed. The W3000 doesn't feel that fatiguing at all without the W11R upper-mids peak and I don't really find the Stax to be that much more detailed. The Stax is definitely not more detailed to the point where I find it more enjoyable than the W3000ANV. I barely notice anything that it can reproduce that the W3000ANV cannot. I would literally have to be OCD, take out my pen, and start scribbling notes down of every frantic split second where I heard some tiny reflection on the Stax that I didn't hear on the W3000. The Stax even doesn't have that much of an advantage in congestion. In fact, the most noticeable positive attribute to me about the W11R and O2 over the W3000 is that the W11R can reproduce a sub-bass better than the other two. This may affect my electronic sub-bassy songs, but I think I can live with it. A bit of linear phase eqing, if needed, works wonders on the W3000 for bass. It responds very well.

These are my honest opinions and I think they are pretty stable as of this point. I think if I wanted to keep the Stax O2 or W11R, it would be because I missed the W11R sub-bass and the Stax airiness.

Nov 25, 2011 at 6:25 AM Post #483 of 3,599
Hahah, the beginning made my day. xD Can't wait to compare these to my beloved and burned-in ATH-W1000X.

Nov 25, 2011 at 6:33 AM Post #484 of 3,599
Awesome impressions, wind! Sounds like you have a new favorite pair of headphones. 
wink.gif

Nov 25, 2011 at 8:15 AM Post #486 of 3,599
got in late last night and put the W3000s on a diet of pink noise for 6 hours, listening now I am very impressed. They actually go very deep and have great bass and the mids are world class. They have great detail but I am wondering if they aren't off slightly on the top end . Given that I am sleep deprived and getting over a cold I will give it a few days.  Well back to letting break in for a bit and off the record store store day

Nov 25, 2011 at 10:16 AM Post #488 of 3,599

Quote:
Anyways, after another half hour of wearing the W3000ANV correctly and comparing with the Stax O2mk1, I'm left wondering if there is any reason for me to keep the Stax O2mk1. The W3000ANV is better for every genre I listen to. It's far better for vocals, better for acoustic music, definitely better for pop and hip hop, and definitely better for rock...

... The W3000 doesn't feel that fatiguing at all without the W11R upper-mids peak and I don't really find the Stax to be that much more detailed. The Stax is definitely not more detailed to the point where I find it more enjoyable than the W3000ANV. I barely notice anything that it can reproduce that the W3000ANV cannot... The Stax even doesn't have that much of an advantage in congestion... 

That's a big call.

Nov 25, 2011 at 10:19 AM Post #489 of 3,599
bass presentation is very good I would describe it as going deep and with nice impact (that thwack feeling you get from a live kick drum) but still somewhat dry. All and all I like them but they are on the dry side of reality whereas the LCD 2/3 are on the juicy side of the house. They are detail monsters 

Nov 25, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #494 of 3,599
"Creamy" is a more accurate description of the LCD2 Rev 1 and LCD3 than "lush". From my experience with ATH, the EW9 does not sound creamy at all and the CK100 has a creamy treble, which is very unique.

Nov 25, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #495 of 3,599
is anyone have the ha5000anv on hand yet,i wanna know what ATH want us to hear

Users who are viewing this thread

Back