New Flagship from Audio-Technica: ATH-W3000ANV, 50th Anniversary Headphones
Feb 13, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #1,471 of 3,599

Quote:
I'm starting to suspect that anything that can drive loud, won't work with sensitive headphones.  I could be wrong and I haven't been at this as long as others, but it seems more and more amps are going for power.  I suspect it's being driven by the need to drive planar headphones(HE and LCD models).

I will agree with you that most of the gears designed to drive high impedance headphones are noisy when use to drive low impedance sensitive headphones like those of Denons and Audio Technica.

However, there are also amps that would drive both both low impedance highly sensitive headphones to high impedance headphones very well. Some examples are the O2 and DX100.

I have no experience with the Corvina amp but the noise could also come from the upper chain of your setup (Transport, DAC, Cables, powers into those equipments).

Feb 13, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #1,472 of 3,599

Quote:
I can't blame you for wanting to spend more time with the L3000's.  There was a pair of them at this past weekend northern California Head-fi meet and I kept gravitating back to listening to them, or back to purrin's W3000ANV out of his set up.  With a decent amp, the L3000's had a very impressive soundstage for a closed headphone with exceptional control to the bass.  They're also one of the more comfortable AT headphones for my head.  It's too bad they're obscenely rare :p

While I really enjoyed the W3000ANV, and I'm very close to buying a pair, I do think I enjoy the L3000's more based on what limited time I had in a less than ideal auditioning environment. 

Same feeling here but I wanted to add it depends on what music you're listening to.
2 examples:
- anything hardrock like with lots of bass guitar: definitley L3000
- vocals, be it female or male: W3000 all the way

I don't really want to elaborate as I really need my bed for once today.  :)

Have a good night folks!  :)

Feb 13, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #1,475 of 3,599

Quote:
LOL I find a lot more with the W3000 to be a little wierd.

Yeah but I was only responding to AppleHeadMay's comment on the male vocal =)

It is particularly because of the color the W3000ANV has that makes the entire listening experience magical and I love it!

Feb 13, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #1,478 of 3,599

Quote:

Yes. As the owner stated, there's room for improvement. The only downside is the 300B tubes which can be expensive and sound very different from each other, e.g. the Chinese TJ's that come with the amp sound totally different from EML's. Also most 300Bs are kind of "meh." The ZD makes things really simple because there aren't that many options with the output tubes, i.e. you basically don't have to worry about it.

Ah, maybe I should stick to ZD.  I like simple... for now.  Thanks!

Feb 13, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #1,480 of 3,599

Quote:
Anyone tried it with the Leben CS300XS? I suppose Skylab has?

Yup.  Sounds absolutely spectacular with the CS-300. The Leben is optimized for 32 ohms, so it's a pretty synergistic pairing.

Feb 13, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #1,482 of 3,599
None that I hear.

Feb 13, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #1,483 of 3,599
My Leben is running very well and is my first go-to setup whenever I feel like listening to some jazz and acoustic late night with my LCD2/3.

Feb 14, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #1,484 of 3,599
Well, wasn't that fast? My ATH-W3000ANV just arrived! Right out of the box, they sound pretty fantastic with my NuForce HDP at the office.

Now... to read through this thread again to figure out how to adjust these properly...
gs1000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back