New Flagship from Audio-Technica: ATH-W3000ANV, 50th Anniversary Headphones
Jun 23, 2012 at 7:51 AM Post #2,911 of 3,599
Getting mine tonight. 
smile.gif

How many hours do these need to mature?

Jun 23, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #2,913 of 3,599
Quote:
The more I listen to the TH900, the less I can tolerate a stock D7K or W3000ANV.

I can see that this statement went over "like a fart in church". Please allow me to qualify what I posted and let me preface by saying that I hold everyone's opinions here in high regard. I have been reading your posts for years and they have helped me immensley as far as searching for the holy grail so to speak.

Before getting the TH900, I really did enjoy the W3000ANV a lot, with its uniquely colored presentation and all. It complemented my open D7K nicely. After the TH900, I quit the W3000ANV and put the open D7K back on the drawing board. It simply displaced both.

One important thing to note is that on my set-up, by far and large, I am listening to very well recorded acoustic music, whether it's baroque, jazz, folk, and the like. In the car I'm listening everything else electric and electronic.

The TH900 presents acoustic music in a more natural way, and with a more realistic timbre than any other phone I have heard. I can honestly say that I haven't really listened to other genres with the W3000ANV.

IMO, the TH900 does an excellent job providing a realistic reproduction of piano, percussion and drums. With good recordings, at times, it can put you right in the room with chamber instruments. Kick drums really move air, you can almost feel the texture of snare drums, bass and the pizzicato of a cello. Dynamics are excellent. The TH900 isn't perfect, but it works for me. And no, I haven't tried stats at home.

This criteria also disqualifies the stock D7K. Though I haven't heard one, according to someone else in the TH900 thread, the Fostex also trumps the full blown LA7000 with Jena as well.

There's my 2 cents FWIW.

Jun 23, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #2,914 of 3,599
You don't have to come back and defend your statement because many "here" didn't share your opinion. You stated your opinion and everyone else stated theirs. It's as simple as that. Everyone has their opinion on how something sounds, and nobody's opinion is wrong. I'm sure many in the fostex thread will agree with you and them some. But coming back and reiterating and explaining your opinion because you didn't have a lot of people chiming in to agree just isn't something that's necessary imo. It's as simple as you hear things one way, and others hear is another way.

Jun 23, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #2,916 of 3,599
Quote:
You don't have to come back and defend your statement because many "here" didn't share your opinion. You stated your opinion and everyone else stated theirs. It's as simple as that. Everyone has their opinion on how something sounds, and nobody's opinion is wrong. I'm sure many in the fostex thread will agree with you and them some. But coming back and reiterating and explaining your opinion because you didn't have a lot of people chiming in to agree just isn't something that's necessary imo. It's as simple as you hear things one way, and others hear is another way.

It wasn't a reiteration at all, it was a more complete explanation, nothing more.  I felt like prospective people reading this thread may not have been getting the full story. If I missed that someone else has had both of these phones at home listening to the music I described, than I apologize.  I was honestly just trying to add something constructive.

Jun 23, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #2,918 of 3,599
Quote:
Would love hear what everyone's favored amp/dac set ups are with these.  Just got mine yesterday, and already quite pleased - #1656.  

I guess my "fart got drowned out" or wasn't loud enough either. 
frown.gif
  Nevertheless, I've actually been enjoying listening to the W3000ANV's burn in on an early 80's B&O receiver which is obviously not the best for these headphones, but clearly provides a bit of the 80's sound I so remember.  Anyway, I'm looking for a good amp/dac combo and was just wondering what set-ups people here are using.  Being fairly new to this forum, I've read through this entire thread and have seen lots of recommendations get tossed about, but haven't heard many personal preferences in terms of combos for these cans.  Just wondering if some of you kind people could help me out?  

Jun 23, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #2,919 of 3,599
It would be helpful if you'd indicate an approximate price rangeou are interested in...there are a lot of options in a lot of different price ranges.

Jun 23, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #2,920 of 3,599
For me personally, I was looking at something along the lines of Zana Deux SE, and then thought it would be nice to have an amp that worked just as well with speakers.  For moving around the house, I'm considering the ALO Continental combo, but have heard nothing about how it sounds with the W3000.  I don't need to break the bank, so anything in the $2k price range or less.  I listen to all types of music from Miles Davis to Sinatra, classical, modern and 80's alternative, pop, Irish folk, etc.  Nevertheless, would love to hear your recommendations along with what you and others prefer.  Thanks!  
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 23, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #2,921 of 3,599
I'm currently using the ODAC and going back and forth between an Objective 2 and the Burson HA-160. I don't claim to have the best ears here but I don't hear $650 difference between the two, in fact not much difference if any. I had a Schiit Lyr before and it did a nice job with the W3000ANV as well. My opinion is it matches up well with all different kinds of amps, tube and SS. If you prefer one or the other it will probably meet your expectations.

Jun 23, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #2,922 of 3,599
I am using the W3000ANV mostly from a vintage Sansui 9090DB receiver, and it sounds great. I don't own any Amp/DAC combos except the RedWineAudio "Audeze Edition" which has only balanced input so I can't use the W3000ANV with that. The 3000ANV also sounds great with the Leben CS300, amp-wise.

Jun 23, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #2,923 of 3,599
Quote:
It wasn't a reiteration at all, it was a more complete explanation, nothing more.  I felt like prospective people reading this thread may not have been getting the full story. If I missed that someone else has had both of these phones at home listening to the music I described, than I apologize.  I was honestly just trying to add something constructive.

I think your posts were perfectly reasonable, lmswjm. The TH900 is the sort of headphone that is really at a disadvantage in a meet environment, not only because of its terrible isolation, but because it takes a bit of time to fully appreciate I feel. The same thing could be said of the SR-007mk1, which many people found underwhelming upon auditioning at meets for the first time. I think both headphones are slow burners.

The W3000ANV is just an entirely different beast, with an entirely different set of strengths and weaknesses. Incidentally I only paid about $200 more for my TH900 ($1,750) than the W3000ANV, and I'm quite happy with and love both headphones.

Jun 23, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #2,924 of 3,599
I finally gave in...order placed!

Jun 23, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #2,925 of 3,599
Quote:

I think your posts were perfectly reasonable, lmswjm. The TH900 is the sort of headphone that is really at a disadvantage in a meet environment, not only because of its terrible isolation, but because it takes a bit of time to fully appreciate I feel. The same thing could be said of the SR-007mk1, which many people found underwhelming upon auditioning at meets for the first time. I think both headphones are slow burners.

The W3000ANV is just an entirely different beast, with an entirely different set of strengths and weaknesses. Incidentally I only paid about $200 more for my TH900 ($1,750) than the W3000ANV, and I'm quite happy with and love both headphones.

Who said his post was unreasonable? No one ever said that. And I also made it a point to say it wasn't a criticism that I was merely saying he didn't have to back and defend or explain his previous post because others felt differently. Everybody isn't going to hear things the same way. So there was never any issues with any of his posts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back