New Flagship from Audio-Technica: ATH-W3000ANV, 50th Anniversary Headphones
May 4, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #2,551 of 3,599
So I got a Liquid Fire headed my way.  I know when I asked for amp recommendations earlier in the thread, I said the ZDSE was out of the running because I had no interest in spending that much on an amp, and here I go spending even more.  I'm just a sucker for acquiring stuff at good prices so here it comes.  Not sure of the match, but we'll see.  I know there are some here that have heard the combo, and seem to have liked it.  Impressions to come...

May 4, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #2,552 of 3,599
Quote:
So I got a Liquid Fire headed my way.  I know when I asked for amp recommendations earlier in the thread, I said the ZDSE was out of the running because I had no interest in spending that much on an amp, and here I go spending even more.  I'm just a sucker for acquiring stuff at good prices so here it comes.  Not sure of the match, but we'll see.  I know there are some here that have heard the combo, and seem to have liked it.  Impressions to come...

After a few hours tonight with my LF and W3000ANVs, you should be in for a real treat!

May 5, 2012 at 2:54 AM Post #2,555 of 3,599
Thanks for your info, MuppetFace.
I am looking for some comparison. Onkyo dac-1000 vs benchmark usb dac. Heard that benchmark usb dac performs really well but the price difference here is around 900 SGD.

May 5, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #2,556 of 3,599
Just ordered an Asgard to pair with the W3000ANV. Hopefully it will be good =)

Was on the verge of Yammy but decided to hold back till a later date.

May 5, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #2,557 of 3,599
That's an interesting choise to me. These don't require a powerful amp as we all know. With my current DAC/amp, I need to reduce the volume from my PC before the DAC to get the channels leveled. I don't know if I'm the only one with this problem... While I'm definitely interested in the Yamamoto, I'm afraid of the midrange getting even more forward.

In any case, still enjoying this setup greatly. With 4MINUTE's new album, when there's high pitched vocals, which still sound heavenly smooth with these, and strong smooth bass, that's just an amazing experience to my ears. ^__^

May 5, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #2,558 of 3,599
Quote:
That's an interesting choise to me. These don't require a powerful amp as we all know. With my current DAC/amp, I need to reduce the volume from my PC before the DAC to get the channels leveled. I don't know if I'm the only one with this problem... While I'm definitely interested in the Yamamoto, I'm afraid of the midrange getting even more forward.

In any case, still enjoying this setup greatly. With 4MINUTE's new album, when there's high pitched vocals, which still sound heavenly smooth with these, and strong smooth bass, that's just an amazing experience to my ears. ^__^

Yeah but it sounds nice with an amp that is quiet and has got high current output. I am using the O2 now and sometimes I thought that it would be nice to have something that sounds fuller with smoother highs and the Asgard from what I read gives just that. Hopefully, the many other people there are right about this.

IMHO your setup is fantastic but I think the weakest link lies in your optical connection between your PC and your DAC/amp. A USB/Coaxial converter might help a lot. The channel imbalance issue could be due to the volume pot on your ORB Jabe. Most amps that suffer from channel imbalance the problem stems out from the volume pot though. Someone more experienced could share here
smile.gif

May 5, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #2,559 of 3,599
Yeah, I hope it ends up being good. = )

Personally, I don't believe in the conversion doing any good, but I might be wrong. Basicly it's the same digital signal and there's "nothing wrong" with the sound to my ears. Part of the issue is obviously in the potentiometer, but it's in most of them. The minimum position is at about 7 o'clock,when I listen it's at 8 o'clock. xD Output is reduced by 50% from my PC. I was hoping the gain to be small enough so I could have everything digital at max, but nope. And I don't think a converter would output any lower level of signal.

May 5, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #2,560 of 3,599
I know integrated solutions are a bit frowned upon around here, but I wanted one for bedroom, digital iPod dock, remote-control, incl. volume, at least one analog in, ability to run my old bookshelf speakers when not feeling like head-fiing, hooking up the optical out of my laptop, and more... So I got a Peachtree iNova and I am -very- impressed with what I'm hearing with the W3000! (heck, even the LCD-3 sounds good, only at past 12 o'clock before it's getting too loud for my taste) And I haven't even tried tube-rolling yet, as subtle as it may be.

May 5, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #2,561 of 3,599
That's a really nice looking match you've got there. I've had experience with the Nova and owned the Decco2. I really like Peachtree gear looks wise, and it pairs well with some cans. They're some of my favorite 'all in wonder' pieces of kit.

May 5, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #2,562 of 3,599
Quote:
I know integrated solutions are a bit frowned upon around here, but I wanted one for bedroom, digital iPod dock, remote-control, incl. volume, at least one analog in, ability to run my old bookshelf speakers when not feeling like head-fiing, hooking up the optical out of my laptop, and more... So I got a Peachtree iNova and I am -very- impressed with what I'm hearing with the W3000! (heck, even the LCD-3 sounds good, only at past 12 o'clock before it's getting too loud for my taste) And I haven't even tried tube-rolling yet, as subtle as it may be.

Actually, I'm a big fan of the Peachtree amp/dac you've got there. I've heard it on several occasions with speakers and many different headphones. It did a very good job with everything I threw at it. But I didn't realize just how stunning it was visually when paired with the W3000ANVs!

May 6, 2012 at 3:56 AM Post #2,564 of 3,599
Yeah, I hope it ends up being good. = )

Personally, I don't believe in the conversion doing any good, but I might be wrong. Basicly it's the same digital signal and there's "nothing wrong" with the sound to my ears. Part of the issue is obviously in the potentiometer, but it's in most of them. The minimum position is at about 7 o'clock,when I listen it's at 8 o'clock. xD Output is reduced by 50% from my PC. I was hoping the gain to be small enough so I could have everything digital at max, but nope. And I don't think a converter would output any lower level of signal.

Yes a converter won't lower the level of signal. maybe if there's some way to lower the gain it will be good though you'll need to find someone good at that.

An external USB/SPDIF converter is basically a buffed up unit of your dac's on board USB receiver. It allows you to bypass the USB receiver and go directly to the SPDIF receiver unit. I tend to prefer USB/SPDIF>>USB>optical when using my mac.

I'm not trying to ask you to buy one but if there arise an opportunity, do grab it to see what improvement it'll bring to your system =)

May 6, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #2,565 of 3,599
If I remember correctly, it's supposed to reduce jitter? Though I still don't see it being an audible issue. Trying it wouldn't hurt, but someone's getting hurt if it doesn't improve the sound. ;D Just joking here...

EDIT: Would a Musical Fidelity V-Link II be any good?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back