New Flagship from Audio-Technica: ATH-W3000ANV, 50th Anniversary Headphones
Apr 30, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #2,506 of 3,599

Quote:
Dac: From what I hear what you want, not the latest tech but certainly your sound preference: Luxman DA-200. Price varies giganticly depending in which country and for what voltage you buy it.

Thanks for the recommendation. I was looking at that one, but the price in the US is $2790 from what I can tell. Double what I'd like to spend. I've no doubts that it's a great DAC, but I have not yet won the lottery. Soon maybe. :wink: What are the prices like over in Europe?

Edit: http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/audio-s/item/da200/

Wow, that is a crazy price difference.. Perhaps I will consider importing from Japan and having someone mod it for 120v.

Apr 30, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #2,508 of 3,599

Quote:
Same here, I bought it for 2850€ and sold it for a bit more than half. It seems to be quite a bit more affordable if you can get it from Japan though. 100V versioin I'm talking about.

Yea. I can order direct from Japan or see what a friend that lives there can get it for. But I'm going to have to save for a few months so I am comfortable spending that much. I could get it now, but uhh.. Yea, I need to not keep spending.

Looks real nice. Then I will have to see who can mod it easily. Shouldn't be a difficult task, but I just want to make sure it's someone that knows what they are doing. Don't feel like getting into step down converters.

Apr 30, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #2,509 of 3,599
In my limited experience step-down convertors aren't all that bad.
I heard a rumour here they might even improve SQ, don't know if that's true since I never compared.
I asked an engineer from Holland to mod my AT-HA5000ANV to 240V and he isn't usually afraid of doing anything but he said from the info he got from me and what he saw on the pictures the amp was too high-quality to temper with so I'd be better off with a step-down. Luxman's quality isn't anywhere below AT's so I wouldn't mod it if I were you. Of course, that's my opinion.

PS: did anynonee here ever hear "Riders on the Strom"  prrformed by Nigel Kennedy? Brilliant if you ask me.

Apr 30, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #2,511 of 3,599

Quote:
I heard a rumour here they might even improve SQ, don't know if that's true since I never compared.
I asked an engineer from Holland to mod my AT-HA5000ANV to 240V and he isn't usually afraid of doing anything but he said from the info he got from me and what he saw on the pictures the amp was too high-quality to temper with so I'd be better off with a step-down. Luxman's quality isn't anywhere below AT's so I wouldn't mod it if I were you. Of course, that's my opinion.

PS: did anynonee here ever hear "Riders on the Strom"  prrformed by Nigel Kennedy? Brilliant if you ask me.

Hmmm. Perhaps it's much easier to mod an amp from 100v to 120v than it is to mod one from 100v to 240v? All I know is the guy that I am buying my HA5000 from said it was very simple and better than using a step down converter. 

That Luxman has Analog ins? That's freakin' cool...

Probably because it has a built in amp section. So if someone wanted to only use the amp, they could.

Apr 30, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #2,513 of 3,599
Quote:
Hmmm. Perhaps it's much easier to mod an amp from 100v to 120v than it is to mod one from 100v to 240v? All I know is the guy that I am buying my HA5000 from said it was very simple and better than using a step down converter. 

If you're lucky the transformer will have different secondaries for each input voltage and only a few wires will need to be swapped.  If you're really lucky it will have just have jumpers on the inside and you can do it yourself.

Does anyone have high res pics of this thing's guts?

Apr 30, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #2,514 of 3,599

Quote:

Quote:

Can be, I'm just stating the info I got. don't know anything about the tech stuff.
I can hardly imagine that converting the transfo from 100 to 120 would be any different to converting it from 100 to 240 though, it's not just tapping off from different windings, it needs a whole new transfo.
FYI the transfo used in the HA5000 should be the same as the one used in the Yamamoto HA-02 and that one is available in either 100, 120 or 240V.
That's according to the info I gathered at the time.

Apr 30, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #2,516 of 3,599

Quote:

If you're lucky the transformer will have different secondaries for each input voltage and only a few wires will need to be swapped.  If you're really lucky it will have just have jumpers on the inside and you can do it yourself.

Does anyone have high res pics of this thing's guts?

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b100/pyotak/IMG_0852-1.jpg

Best I could find with a quick search.

He said it was only one wire, but I have no idea if that is true or not.

Edit: woops. Wrong amp. Let me look again..

Edit: maybe this? http://www.powerdiy.com.cn/attachments/20100809_c7750106c696301002e0he7OQUa4PnBs.jpg

http://image01.w.livedoor.jp/h/e/headphone/7393a23f3ff2078e.jpg

Apr 30, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #2,517 of 3,599
According to him: "I removed the 100v wire around the armature and resoldered a 125v thinner one. Rewiring keeps the amp more stable than a step down converter. "
 ​
Plausible? I have no idea about these things. But if he did actually make it 120v and did it well, I am content.

Apr 30, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #2,518 of 3,599

Quote:
According to him: "I removed the 100v wire around the armature and resoldered a 125v thinner one. Rewiring keeps the amp more stable than a step down converter. "
 ​
Plausible? I have no idea about these things. But if he did actually make it 120v and did it well, I am content.

Maybe I can't quite tell from the pictures.

It doesn't make anything more "stable" though.

Apr 30, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #2,519 of 3,599

Quote:
 ​

Maybe I can't quite tell from the pictures.

It doesn't make anything more "stable" though.
There was more that I didn't quote. He was mainly referring to if I bought a low quality step down converter. Because I don't really want to spent a great deal on one of those anyway.

Anyone else know if what he says he did is possible? Seems like a nice enough guy, but I just don't know anything about this subject.

Apr 30, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #2,520 of 3,599

Quote:

There are plenty of suggestions throughout the thread. If you use the "search this thread" function you should come up with quite a bit of information. Here is a listing of amps people have recommended, in order from least to most expensive. Just do a search in the thread for any one of these terms for peoples' opinions and whatnot:

Objective 2
Leckerton UHA-4 and UHA-6S
Schiit Asgard
Meier Audio Concerto
SPL Auditor
Yamamoto HA-02
DNA Sonett
Audio-Technica ATH-HA5000
ORB Jade-1 LTD
Eddie Current Super 7
SPL Phonitor
Eddie Current Zana Deux SE
Luxman P-1u
Audio-Technica ATH-HA5000ANV
Eddie Current Balancing Act

hey thanks for taking the trouble to search for me. =)

anyway for dac, how does a cambridge magicdac plus fare with W3000anv?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back