(NEW) FiiO E12A for IEMs!
Mar 17, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #631 of 1,334
Hi everyone.

I just purchased this amp based on recommendations here. I upgraded my setup from iPhone 5S->Westone W40/4R to FiiO X5->E12A->W40/4R

I must say this is quite the improvement. Everything sounds punchier and the sound is really filled out across frequencies. There is a noticeable amount of increased sound stage too.

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on me running the E12A all the time during the day while at work. I do telesales via computer with my Sennheiser PC 350 SE headset and really like how these cans sound using the FiiO X5 as a DAC into the E12A. Will running the E12A for 8-10 hours daily have any implications?

Mar 17, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #632 of 1,334
I don't notice any increased soundstage, but definitely notice a punchier sound and (much) better instrument separation/layering with X3 as DAP/Westone W40. I think it's the much increased layering that gives you the perception of a larger soundstage. Not quite sure though.

Mar 17, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #634 of 1,334
  Hi everyone.

I just purchased this amp based on recommendations here. I upgraded my setup from iPhone 5S->Westone W40/4R to FiiO X5->E12A->W40/4R

I must say this is quite the improvement. Everything sounds punchier and the sound is really filled out across frequencies. There is a noticeable amount of increased sound stage too.

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on me running the E12A all the time during the day while at work. I do telesales via computer with my Sennheiser PC 350 SE headset and really like how these cans sound using the FiiO X5 as a DAC into the E12A. Will running the E12A for 8-10 hours daily have any implications?

Not at all, you'll simply lose some of its stored charge, but that always happens with use...simply charge it back up once you're home. 

Mar 17, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #635 of 1,334

Not at all, you'll simply lose some of its stored charge, but that always happens with use...simply charge it back up once you're home. 

I just leave it charging at my computer. Any issues with that? I notice the amp is a bit warm but I think there's a warranty if I have any issues.

Thanks for the reply.

Mar 17, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #637 of 1,334
  I just leave it charging at my computer. Any issues with that? I notice the amp is a bit warm but I think there's a warranty if I have any issues.

Thanks for the reply.

I believe any portable device that is built to play while charging will be perfectly fine being used that way. I don't see why that would be a problem. You can check FiiO's website. Good luck.

Mar 17, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #638 of 1,334

Thanks for the reply.

you are going to destroy the batterry at worst.. 

warranty works for one year or two, then it costs to change it. if you are fine with paying for a new, you can do it, only battery can degrade, that is it.
So I *think* I remember reading that E17 is very similar to X3 and E17K is very similar to X3-II as far as amp stage and sound signature are concerned. Forgive me if my memory's failing, but I'm not seeing added value in stacking one of those DACs with the respective DAP.

Sorry, i only auditioned e18 as e17k should had been close to x3, and i did not really liked the warm tone of x3 in general. i am looking forward to an audition of x3II when it comes to RO.

but you are totally right, there is zero value to add a DAC from fiio to a DAP from fiio, except maybe for x1, which i don't remember having a coax out, which means that only an amp can be added. 

x5 is really worth stacking with e12 or e12a, depending on what one drives though, same goes for x3 line, and x1, but adding anything else than e12 or e12a did not seem to add value to stacking in my experience.

Mar 17, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #639 of 1,334

I believe any portable device that is built to play while charging will be perfectly fine being used that way. I don't see why that would be a problem. Good luck.

i vaguely remember than when e12 and e12a first came out there was a thing where someone said that they were not build to play while charging...

though i might be wrong. am i wrong, and they can be used while charging?

Mar 17, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #640 of 1,334
  i vaguely remember than when e12 and e12a first came out there was a thing where someone said that they were not build to play while charging...

though i might be wrong. am i wrong, and they can be used while charging?

I've never used mine while charging. If I'm home or at the office then I simply use my full-size gear and plug my portable gear in for charging. It's probably best that he checks with FiiO or their website...I may well have wrongly assumed that if it's made to run while charging its fine. I apologize if I was mistaken/wrong/stupid about if being okay to do. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 17, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #641 of 1,334
  you are going to destroy the batterry at worst.. 

warranty works for one year or two, then it costs to change it. if you are fine with paying for a new, you can do it, only battery can degrade, that is it.

If I keep it plugged in will it still degrade the battery? Or is it running straight off of the power?

Mar 17, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #642 of 1,334
E12 never gave me any problems while charging during use. Didn't have the most revealing cans but YMMV. Only problem was the shorty short short charging cable :p

Mar 17, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #643 of 1,334
Hi everyone.

I still have similar setup, W4r with X1 (eventualy X3II) What the point using E12A amp. Does W4r ou X5 need more power ? I was thinking that X5/X3II as enough energy init to drive this fantastic IEM!! What realy all this will change at the end ? Subtil raise of SQ ?

Mar 17, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #644 of 1,334
I still have similar setup, W4r with X1 (eventualy X3II) What the point using E12A amp. Does W4r ou X5 need more power ? I was thinking that X5 as enough energy init to drive this fantastic IEM!! What realy all this will change at the end ? Subtil raise of SQ ?

I am much more satisfied with the sound of X5 with E12A than X5 alone. The sound is consistent across the spectrum meaning that I hear all frequencies well. Without the amp the sound is missing that fullness. Often "louder" is perceived as "better" but in this case I think it sounds better at similar volumes. The difference is somewhat subtle and may not be worth the price for some.

Note that I am a musician and formerly was a sound engineer for a few years, so I am much more sensitive and perceptive to small changes. The difference is somewhat subtle but it is worth keeping the E12A for me (I could easily return it as I got it through Amazon Prime). I will tell you that the difference with/without the amp is much more noticable (by a factor of 2x-4x) when using the amp to drive my Sennheiser cans (PC 350 SE headset) versus my W40s and W4R.

Mar 17, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #645 of 1,334
I still have similar setup, W4r with X1 (eventualy X3II) What the point using E12A amp. Does W4r ou X5 need more power ? I was thinking that X5 as enough energy init to drive this fantastic IEM!! What realy all this will change at the end ? Subtil raise of SQ ?

My wife has the X1 and I have the X3 with the X5 arriving in two days, I get better sound with the X3 & E12A together than running my W40's right out of the X3. In fact, I've used the X3 by itself the past couple days with the W40's and I do notice the difference in clarity and spaciousness that I'm missing without the E12A. Now, that's NOT to say that the X3 isn't a great sounding player and yes you can get all the "volume" you need from the X3 by itself but the E12A is a better amp than the one that's built into the X3. That shouldn't come off as a knock against the X3, at that price point the X3 is stellar, but nothing is perfect. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back