(NEW) FiiO E12A for IEMs!
Mar 20, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #1,321 of 1,334
New to amps but the E12A is what I chose. So far not too impressed - sorry! Soundstage is flat and bass sort bleeds all over in a muddy way. Volume bass kinda maxed out and meh. Using cable it came with, an iPhone, and 1More e1001 IEMs- which I'm also not thrilled with! I was trying to keep it economical but obv I gotta spend more. Would a diff connector help?I may not have the ideal setup

Your IEMs are not the best, and you're double amping the signal. You need something with Line Out to feed the signal to E12A to take full advantage of its sound. 

Mar 20, 2017 at 7:25 PM Post #1,324 of 1,334
Something with line out? Plz explain

E12A is an amp, it is supposed to take in Line signal, not headphone out signal.. 

If you're using the headphone jack of any device, you're feeding it headphone signal, which is amped already. Double amping distorts the signal and it will sound worse than the original source - E.G. your phone

The idea is to use an amp with a device that has line out signal . Line out is unamped signal with high voltage, while amped signal has lower voltage but higher power. 

Mar 20, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #1,325 of 1,334
E12A is an amp, it is supposed to take in Line signal, not headphone out signal.. 
thanks for that! So are you talking about using a DAP instead of the iPhone with this setup?

If you're using the headphone jack of any device, you're feeding it headphone signal, which is amped already. Double amping distorts the signal and it will sound worse than the original source - E.G. your phone

The idea is to use an amp with a device that has line out signal . Line out is unamped signal with high voltage, while amped signal has lower voltage but higher power. 

Mar 21, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #1,326 of 1,334
Something with line out? Plz explain

He's suggesting using a dedicated DAP that has a line out rather than using the headphone out of your phone. I agree with George that running your headphone out into your amp is the problem and not the amp. Like he said, double amping is ruining the sound.

ETA: You could look into a DAC to use with your phone. You'd need the lightening connector. Something like an Oppo or E17k and use your digital out instead of the headphone out.

Mar 21, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #1,327 of 1,334
I recently got the E12A, the amp sounds nice but i find that even at the lowest volume it's still a bit too loud for me when I'm in a quiet room. (I'm using Westone UM PRO 10). I think I'm going to need something with higher impedance

Mar 21, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #1,328 of 1,334
I recently got the E12A, the amp sounds nice but i find that even at the lowest volume it's still a bit too loud for me when I'm in a quiet room. (I'm using Westone UM PRO 10). I think I'm going to need something with higher impedance

What do you have it paired with? Some DAPs allow you to adjust the line out signal to accommodate this. I know my FiiO X3II and X5II would allow me to do it.

Mar 21, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #1,329 of 1,334
What do you have it paired with? Some DAPs allow you to adjust the line out signal to accommodate this. I know my FiiO X3II and X5II would allow me to do it.

Very good advice! 

You can get one of those impedance increasers if you feel the need 
wink.gif

But yeah, E12A is pretty strong 

Also, make sure your gain is on low. 

Mar 21, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #1,330 of 1,334
I'm pairing it with the original AK100 (AK100 had a 22ohm and all my IEMs are low impedance). Without the E12A bass and sub-bass is sorta of anemic. it's like the drums and snares were all moved into another room while the strings and vocals were in one room. I tried one of those impedance adapters but from what i can tell they won't fix impedance mismatch.

Mar 21, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #1,331 of 1,334
I'm pairing it with the original AK100. Without the E12A bass and sub-bass is sorta of anemic. it's like the drums and snares were all moved into another room while the strings and vocals were in one room.

I have no knowledge regarding the features of that DAP. Perhaps someone else can chime in that does.

Mar 21, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #1,332 of 1,334
Thx guys- really appreciate the info!

He's suggesting using a dedicated DAP that has a line out rather than using the headphone out of your phone. I agree with George that running your headphone out into your amp is the problem and not the amp. Like he said, double amping is ruining the sound.

ETA: You could look into a DAC to use with your phone. You'd need the lightening connector. Something like an Oppo or E17k and use your digital out instead of the headphone out.

Apr 16, 2019 at 9:03 PM Post #1,334 of 1,334
Good day!Tell me how to take it apart.I can't do it.Interferes with the Bass switch.Thanks.
Dear friend,

You may read the instruction for disassembling the E12 to see if it helps: Click here

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back