(NEW) FiiO E12A for IEMs!
Mar 17, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #646 of 1,334

If I keep it plugged in will it still degrade the battery? Or is it running straight off of the power?

This question got me thinking...by using both the X5 as a USB Dac and the E12A left charging during use, does this setup degrade both batteries of the X5 and E12A? I would think that it would not as both devices are fully charged after removing the plugs after a day of use at work. If anyone has any insight please let me know.

Mar 17, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #647 of 1,334
My wife has the X1 and I have the X3 with the X5 arriving in two days, I get better sound with the X3 & E12A together than running my W40's right out of the X3. In fact, I've used the X3 by itself the past couple days with the W40's and I do notice the difference in clarity and spaciousness that I'm missing without the E12A. Now, that's NOT to say that the X3 isn't a great sounding player and yes you can get all the "volume" you need from the X3 by itself but the E12A is a better amp than the one that's built into the X3. That shouldn't come off as a knock against the X3, at that price point the X3 is stellar, but nothing is perfect. 
Thanks , interested comment! I will see later for E12A. But have to wait to get my hand on that new babe ! :D

Mar 17, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #648 of 1,334
Thanks , interested comment! I will see later for E12A. But have to wait to get my hand on that new babe !
biggrin.gif

That's all part of the fun! First you need to enjoy the new DAP and when you're ready then you add the amp...first you gotta grab as much new music as you can afford! Enjoy the new DAP!

Mar 17, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #649 of 1,334
sorry not being clear, [this maybe cause of my left ear got more sensitive to sparkling high and middle frequency] so my last year's setups was Biscuit ™ and d-zero mk1, and I had no issue with sharpie mid and high with that combination, even with Baldoor E100 (this brand new earbud from China has too cold mid) but with ipod touch 4 now I'm facing cold and dry mid, not with Baldoor only but also with px200 or even hd681 evo (my others cans are not warm) so yeah I wanted an amplifier that maybe a little full at middle, yeap already asking about d-zero mk2 but my friend reported mk2 amplifier section was neutral too. shortly I like touch 4 sound signature but doesn't like how d-zero mk1 amplified that. or maybe I stuck on stigma like "audiophiles must use amplifier" lol

Mar 18, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #650 of 1,334
Just tried something. Dual-amping it with the X3, via Headphone Out. X3 volume as high as possible (88 ideal), E12A High Gain, volume adjusted to comfortable levels (very low as the X3 is very high).

Result: Compared to Line Out, more bass, more details, more treble sparkle, better perception of background instruments, illusion or not illusion of better instrument separation. Try it out just out of curiosity and let me know what you think. ; ) Don't forget, the X3 has the higher volume, as much as possible (I prefer 88 to not hear so many instruments in the same "layer" - you'll understand this later) and the E12A at High Gain and low volume, adjusted to your taste. Some of you will be amazed (or not) of how much better this is compared to Line Out. Of course, YMMV.

These are those discoveries I like!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 18, 2015 at 3:07 AM Post #651 of 1,334
  This question got me thinking...by using both the X5 as a USB Dac and the E12A left charging during use, does this setup degrade both batteries of the X5 and E12A? I would think that it would not as both devices are fully charged after removing the plugs after a day of use at work. If anyone has any insight please let me know.

x5 was made to be used as DAC, it can be used while with full battery left in charging... about e12a you should ask fiio.
sorry not being clear, [this maybe cause of my left ear got more sensitive to sparkling high and middle frequency] so my last year's setups was Biscuit ™ and d-zero mk1, and I had no issue with sharpie mid and high with that combination, even with Baldoor E100 (this brand new earbud from China has too cold mid) but with ipod touch 4 now I'm facing cold and dry mid, not with Baldoor only but also with px200 or even hd681 evo (my others cans are not warm) so yeah I wanted an amplifier that maybe a little full at middle, yeap already asking about d-zero mk2 but my friend reported mk2 amplifier section was neutral too. shortly I like touch 4 sound signature but doesn't like how d-zero mk1 amplified that. or maybe I stuck on stigma like "audiophiles must use amplifier" lol

i really do not know how to answer this. 

you should give a try, and see if you like it better. e12a is very neutral. it adds soundstage and separation, but tonality wise, it is neutral, like e12.
  Just tried something. Dual-amping it with the X3, via Headphone Out. X3 volume as high as possible (88 ideal), E12A High Gain, volume adjusted to comfortable levels (very low as the X3 is very high).

Result: Compared to Line Out, more bass, more details, more treble sparkle, better perception of background instruments, illusion or not illusion of better instrument separation. Try it out just out of curiosity and let me know what you think. ; ) Don't forget, the X3 has the higher volume, as much as possible (I prefer 88 to not hear so many instruments in the same "layer" - you'll understand this later) and the E12A at High Gain and low volume, adjusted to your taste. Some of you will be amazed (or not) of how much better this is compared to Line Out. Of course, YMMV.

These are those discoveries I like!
smily_headphones1.gif

had you ever tried tube amps?

they add something that is named noise to music, which most audiophiles and normal people like how it sounds. you are adding noise, but you like how it sounds, exactly like there are people loving tube amps.

Mar 18, 2015 at 3:37 AM Post #655 of 1,334
Anyone here used the e12a to power ie800s plugged on a x1? How was it?

Mar 18, 2015 at 3:56 AM Post #656 of 1,334
  I just leave it charging at my computer. Any issues with that?

I wouldn't think there'd be any issues. Personally, though, I'd recommend a 2-ampere (2A) USB charger plug and a standard electrical extension cord. Charges faster and better, and you can set the female end of the electrical extension cord on top of your desk, and plug the 2A charger into it. Just be sure and unplug the extension cord from the wall when you're not using it.

I can charge my iPod and E12A at the same time (with separate charger plugs) while playing them through my desktop stereo, and without connecting them to the computer. Works great.

Mar 18, 2015 at 4:36 AM Post #658 of 1,334
x5 was made to be used as DAC, it can be used while with full battery left in charging... about e12a you should ask fiio.
i really do not know how to answer this. 

you should give a try, and see if you like it better. e12a is very neutral. it adds soundstage and separation, but tonality wise, it is neutral, like e12.
had you ever tried tube amps?

they add something that is named noise to music, which most audiophiles and normal people like how it sounds. you are adding noise, but you like how it sounds, exactly like there are people loving tube amps.

unfortunately there's no audiophiles shop in my city and my friend only had e12 diy, don't know if he have opamp like muses02

Mar 18, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #659 of 1,334
I got to mess around with my 10 dollar usb DAC and E12A.  I am not satisfied with the bass coming from my little PC, even with the help of the FIIO.  What a difference the DAC made.  This is one cheap solution if you are a basshead and want the E12A to vibrate your full size headphones. I just enabled the bass in the DAC speaker properties.  Enabled the bass on the E12A and enjoyed some good vibrations.

Mar 21, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #660 of 1,334
After a week with the E12A I got to say: If you own a X3 you deserve an E12A. What a difference it makes! Not only instrument separation/layering is much improved, you get much and I mean much better treble, more refined and sparkly. X3 treble sounds "dry" and dull when you listen to it without the E12A. This amp has one of the best trebles I've heard, competing with much more expensive amps in that department. After a week this has been a fantastic experience, sometimes I feel tempted to A/B without the E12A (just X3) and definitely don't want to listen to the X3 anymore without the E12A. Now I believe this amp can make a difference even with X5. I told here already that my biggest complain with the JDSLabs C5 was the treble, it was even worse than X3's, now E12A fills this gap and this is a totally pleasant, convincing listening experience.

The E12A not only is a spectacular sounding amp for the price as it has exceptional treble. I'm really impressed.

All my stuff is FiiO now, so many brands out there, so many products and I find myself near audio nirvana with FiiO products. This says something. I was a huge SONY fan before for players, for eg., no longer want to know what do they have to offer. Same for portable amps for IEMs, my search is over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back