New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Jun 19, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #4,877 of 5,077
Agreed with the two posts above.
It's best to troubleshoot the problem to figure out where the failure point is.
I've had so much pocket lint in my Android phones that they wouldn't charge properly. The funny thing was that some cables worked better than others.

Also, be careful using isopropyl bought at the pharmacy, as some of them have additives that aren't good for electronics. I think you should use only 90% isopropyl or higher. I'd start with something like a toothpick to fish out the lint.

Jun 19, 2019 at 8:47 PM Post #4,879 of 5,077
The problem is at the lightning connector's end. The dragonfly remains working when I dangle it around but the lightning jack immediately cuts. So I inspected the lightning jack and thought I could use my air compressor to clean it out (have one for my PCs). But my SO is working atm and she hates the sound of that. While waiting I carefully blew into the lightning jack and voila, the connection is not cutting out anymore.

I'll give it a cautious cleaning using the blower at a distance so as to not damage any internal components but it seems to not cut out anymore when I move it around and is a substantial improvement over my previous experience.

Thanks a lot. I would not have expected that to be the problem.

Jun 20, 2019 at 1:31 AM Post #4,881 of 5,077
The problem is at the lightning connector's end. The dragonfly remains working when I dangle it around but the lightning jack immediately cuts. So I inspected the lightning jack and thought I could use my air compressor to clean it out (have one for my PCs). But my SO is working atm and she hates the sound of that. While waiting I carefully blew into the lightning jack and voila, the connection is not cutting out anymore.

I'll give it a cautious cleaning using the blower at a distance so as to not damage any internal components but it seems to not cut out anymore when I move it around and is a substantial improvement over my previous experience.

Thanks a lot. I would not have expected that to be the problem.
No problem. Glad it’s fixed your issue.

Jun 20, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #4,882 of 5,077
Someone knows how to use the dragonfly red with equalizer in MacBook ?
I used to use EQMAC2 but I just can’t use this program since that program require output sound to works , and the DFR use the same output
So , if I select one, I lost the other one .
I saw some posts about the program AUlab and forest something , but it didn’t work

If anyone here have MacBook and know how to use equalizer with DFR , help pls!
I give up trying to search for a solution in web...
The Dragonfly shouldn't need an EQ or bassboost to get the best out of it. EQ should be flat or off. It will sound worse with EQ or bass boost.

The Dragon fly is not just a plug n play to get the best out of it. Yeah it'll work but you have to play with your settings, volume and bit rate. When I say volume I don't just mean the main volume on your laptop but the sound mixer that is in the laptop. Otherwise the DR will sound too hot or too loud with just a little movement of the main volume slide if not set up properly. If you're using ITunes I wrote a piece on setup just a page or 2 back. It would probably help you work out your setting if you have another music player other than ITunes?

DR Red is really good when it's set up properly. I thought it was a waste of money till I played with the settings on my laptop and ITunes.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2019 at 9:38 AM Post #4,883 of 5,077
The Dragonfly shouldn't need an EQ or bassboost to get the best out of it. EQ should be flat or off. It will sound worse with EQ or bass boost.

The Dragon fly is not just a plug n play to get the best out of it. Yeah it'll work but you have to play with your settings, volume and bit rate. When I say volume I don't just mean the main volume on your laptop but the sound mixer that is in the laptop. Otherwise the DR will sound too hot or too loud with just a little movement of the main volume slide if not set up properly. If you're using ITunes I wrote a piece on setup just a page or 2 back. It would probably help you work out your setting if you have another music player other than ITunes?

DR Red is really good when it's set up properly. I thought it was a waste of money till I played with the settings on my laptop and ITunes.

Your post gave me curiosity.
What you mean by properly configured and how to do it?

Jun 21, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #4,885 of 5,077
Your post gave me curiosity.
What you mean by properly configured and how to do it?
I think essentially:
In iTunes:
iTunes menu >> Preferences (Command-, (comma)) >> Playback >> 1. uncheck "Crossfade Songs," 2. uncheck "Sound Enhancer," 3. uncheck "Sound Check"
Window menu >> Equalizer (Option-Command-E) >> turn off EQ by unchecking "On" button

In Audio MIDI Setup with DFR plugged in >> "AudioQuest DragonFly Red v1.0" >> under "Format," select highest available bitrate.

Jun 22, 2019 at 10:32 AM Post #4,886 of 5,077
I think essentially:
In iTunes:
iTunes menu >> Preferences (Command-, (comma)) >> Playback >> 1. uncheck "Crossfade Songs," 2. uncheck "Sound Enhancer," 3. uncheck "Sound Check"
Window menu >> Equalizer (Option-Command-E) >> turn off EQ by unchecking "On" button

In Audio MIDI Setup with DFR plugged in >> "AudioQuest DragonFly Red v1.0" >> under "Format," select highest available bitrate.
Almost forgot that iTunes volume should be set to max; use system volume to digitally adjust DFR's volume.

Jun 27, 2019 at 10:58 AM Post #4,889 of 5,077
@suzuki I don`t use iTunes , the music that I usually listen is all in youtube and not available in iTunes unfortunatelly.
I am asking for a way to use EQ with my DFR because my iEMS sound better with EQ, I remove the bass with a bass filter and for me it`s way better ..

But my doubt is not just to set up MAC with DFR, is to make it with any DAC and EQ. I think it`s something that is possible, otherwise no one can use Equalizer + Dac combo in Macbook

Users who are viewing this thread

Back