New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Feb 27, 2019 at 2:09 AM Post #4,756 of 5,077
How old is yout iPhone? I see dfr uses more battery than dongle but it shouldn’t be extreme.

Hadn't thought about that... iPhone is exactly 18 months old, with pretty heavy daily use. Seems to hold a charge though, except when using the DF. Just finished doing some comparisons, 50x using Apple dongle and 50x using the DFR. DFR is much better, which can't be argued, once you've experienced it, hard to think of going back to the dongle. Just for the heck of it, thinking that maybe I should just forget about wires and better sound altogether and just go for convenience. I tried out my daughter's bluetooth 50x. Yikes! Bass is WAY over emphasized and everything seems boxed in. The DFR is so obviously better! Guess I'll maybe have Apple check out my iPhone battery and if it's ok, I'll just "suck up" the seeming battery drain issue, as I definitely have become "spoiled" now! lol Thanks for the suggestion about the battery!

Feb 27, 2019 at 11:18 AM Post #4,757 of 5,077
Hadn't thought about that... iPhone is exactly 18 months old, with pretty heavy daily use. Seems to hold a charge though, except when using the DF. Just finished doing some comparisons, 50x using Apple dongle and 50x using the DFR. DFR is much better, which can't be argued, once you've experienced it, hard to think of going back to the dongle. Just for the heck of it, thinking that maybe I should just forget about wires and better sound altogether and just go for convenience. I tried out my daughter's bluetooth 50x. Yikes! Bass is WAY over emphasized and everything seems boxed in. The DFR is so obviously better! Guess I'll maybe have Apple check out my iPhone battery and if it's ok, I'll just "suck up" the seeming battery drain issue, as I definitely have become "spoiled" now! lol Thanks for the suggestion about the battery!

Yeah, battery might be an issue. It certainly drains battery more than dongle but not like 25% in an hour. I can still listen to music and play some game over an hour with 15% batter life left.

Feb 27, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #4,759 of 5,077
One more question... Each time I plug the Apple Lightning to USB 3 adapter into my iPhone 8 Plus, I get a pop up message asking if I want to do an update for the adapter. Any reason not to do the update?

Feb 27, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #4,760 of 5,077
Has anyone else had any trouble running the Red on a Samsung tablet? It recognizes the usb but doesn't output sound. I don't have the same issue with my Modi 2U and Vali 2 Schiit stack..

I had the same issue on an old Galaxy Tab A. It works with UAPP and on a rooted device I could see the DFB using ALSA but the L&R channels were both set to 0 and attempts to set them to anything else were met with an error. I had a similar issue with a Topping DAC/Amp on a Moto G device so it looks as though it is something to do with software rather than hardware.

Feb 27, 2019 at 8:19 PM Post #4,761 of 5,077
Ive had the DFR before, sold it to buy ZuperDAC-s instead. Missed the DFR so much that i bought one again. I love how simple and functional this thing is. Its nice to be able to get good sound from a phone. I own Hiby R3 as well, which is a great little device in its own.

Question for android users: are you able to get audio from the USB when using youtube? Or does it only work with GPM, Hiby Music, UAPP, Tidal. Id love to be able to get all audio going through the USB.

Feb 27, 2019 at 9:01 PM Post #4,762 of 5,077
Here is some info for those who cares about cold hard numbers and statistics.
Both measurements were taken from a Oneplus 3T running latest Hiby music, Anker OTG cable ( usb C to A female ) , driving Sennheiser DH518s ( 50ohm ) at 50% software volume in Hiby app. ZuperDAC-s has hardware buttons with 16 volume steps. Volume was maxed on ZuperDAC-s.

ZuperDAC-s draws 3 times as much power. At max volume in Hiby app, DFR is louder than ZuperDAC-s ( hardware volume level was maxed out on the ZuperDAC-s ).
IMG_20000515_230550.jpg
IMG_20000515_230908.jpg
IMG_20000515_233904.jpg

Feb 28, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #4,765 of 5,077
Yes, it is Android limitation. You must use TIDAL from UAPP to play MQA files at 96KkHz, not TIDAL app. Clear difference because both the UAPP and DF RED sequentially decode MQA files to Max. frequency and DFR lits magenta. Purchase MQA module in UAPP.

Feb 28, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #4,766 of 5,077
I am not using Tidal, but perhaps desktop and mobile apps support different formats. Or its the android system limitation.
Yes, it is Android limitation. You must use TIDAL from UAPP to play MQA files at 96KkHz, not TIDAL app. Clear difference because both the UAPP and DF RED sequentially decode MQA files to Max. frequency and DFR lits magenta. Purchase MQA module in UAPP.

Feb 28, 2019 at 4:35 PM Post #4,767 of 5,077
I have also ZuperDAC-S and DF RED and both can play sound from all Android apps (with Android frequency limitation) except UAPP, HiBy and Onkyo apps that use their own USB output driver to DACs and bypass Android USB sound output driver. These three apps sound noticeability better with DFR and ZUPERDAC-S

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2019 at 3:01 AM Post #4,769 of 5,077
No problem with Android phones (Samsung S7) you can use YouTube and Spotify with DF RED (last firmware upgrade in Audioquest page) but with Android sound limitation ( no USB Android bypass available in Spotify and Youtube). However, Spotify sounds a lot better with DFR than using directly earphone jack output of Samsung S7. UAPP has only support for TIDAL and QoOBUZ (I have TIDAL HI-FI subscription). In fact, I didn't renew my subscription to Spotify due to this reason. TIDAL is supported by UAPP.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back