New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Nov 10, 2018 at 2:24 AM Post #4,621 of 5,077
Hi to all.

Do you think that buying DFR and using it with Samsung Note 9 is a wise move? AFAIK, Note9 has a Cirrus Logic made DAC. (Exynos model)

Currently I have a Sennheiser HD598 and planning to buy HD58x. Also have Fiio A3 amp.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2018 at 3:26 AM Post #4,622 of 5,077
Hi to all.

Do you think that buying DFR and using it with Samsung Note 9 is a wise move? AFAIK, Note9 has a Cirrus Logic made DAC. (Exynos model)

Currently I have a Sennheiser HD598 and planning to buy HD58x. Also have Fiio A3 amp.

Maybe I may answer your question, since I own the DFR, the HD58X and the HD598. I do not own a Samsung phone, my portable sources are rather in the Apple family. Both the DFR and the HD58X are very good products, which I fully recommend. It is not the case with the HD598, not a bad priduct, but not for me, too bass shy, I call it my « TV headphone », as it is very comfortable and produces spacious sound, but not great for music in my opinion. The HD598 is a low impedance open over ear headphone. It doesn’t need an amp with most sources. Same goes for the HD58X, although it’s a higher impedance model, it is quite sensitive and efficient and therefore should be okay without amping. I use it all the time with my iPad or with my iPhone X with the lightning dongle. Which only provides 1V of output in both cases, but quite enough for the HD58X. I’m not sure what is the max output voltage of your Samsung Note 9, but I would bet its output voltage is quite similar to my 1V sources. So if its the case, I’m not sure that the DFR is needed. Probably not for amping your HD58X or HD598. Understand me: the DFR is a great product, proving a stellar DAC with a digital volume amp capable of 2.1V output, but is it necessary for your headphones? I doubt it. Your Samsung has probably enough output voltage to properly drive your low impedance HD598 and your higher impedance but very efficient HD58X. So it comes down to the sound quality of your Samsung gear (the sound quality of the Note 9’s internal DAC and first rate op amp components). As I said, I’m not a Samsung guy, but the Note 9 is a top of the line product from a top Android manufacturer, so I would bet again that the sound quality and component quality of your Samsung’s sound output are probably first rate and good enough. I know it is the case with Apple gear, as they use first rate Cirrus Logic DACs and first rate op amps in their portable products. So is the DFR an overkill in your case? My hypothesis is that it is most probably an overkill. But only you may decide if it is worth the upgrade at a price of USD 200$. Will it really improve on your Note 9´s own sound quality output, using its internal DAC and op amps? Let us know, by trying it out and comparing with and without the DFR, I’m curious. As I said before, the DFR is a great product, an outstanding product in my opinion soundwise, it’s my goto portable DAC/amp whenever I need a 2.1V output, such as with my HD6XX headphones, but I do not use it with my HD58X most of the time, it’s not needed in my Apple source setups. By the way, Apple also uses Cirrus logic DACs in their recent equipement., just like your Note 9. Just my 2 cents ...

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2018 at 3:39 AM Post #4,623 of 5,077
Hi to all.

It depends. This seems to be a European version, and European products are limited in max. volume. E.g. an international ipod can output 1V, a european one only 0.5V.

Would be probably similar with your Note. Sound quality would be probably a matter of taste, Cirrus and ESS Sabre do sound similar, depending on the actual implementation. So, if your Note is loud enough with your headphones, there is no actual need to go for an external DAC.

Keep in mind, android upsamples everything to 48kHz when using internal DAC. This is degrading the quality quite a bit...

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2018 at 5:25 AM Post #4,624 of 5,077
Thank you for your detailed answers.

It seems that I'll stick with the Note9's internal DAC.

@PeteMtl you have made me confident about my buying plan about HD58X. Thanks.

@a-LeXx I don't know about the EU model's output voltage but I mostly listen to music at max volume. Maybe I should measure the output voltage.

Edit: I have just measured the output voltage of the phone. It gives 0.5V from the phone and 2.05V from the Fiio A3.

Now I should find a way to break the EU limitation other than rooting the phone. Hope there is one.
Because the Note9's sound quality very good and detailed. Just the output power is not enough. While I'm mobile using the Fiio is inconvenient. It adds bulk, needs recharging and I don't like cables much.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2018 at 6:34 AM Post #4,625 of 5,077

@a-LeXx I don't know about the EU model's output voltage but I mostly listen to music at max volume. Maybe I should measure the output voltage sometime.

I love my HD58X. I must say that I still prefer the HD6XX for its midrange and overall sound, but the HD58X has also a few pluses over the HD6XX, such as a clearer and more dynamic slightly W shaped balanced sound, which means more extended and tighter sub bass and bass, clearer overall sound and more exciting highs. They also are easier to drive without additional amping for portable usage. But the mids of the HD6XX are not beaten by the HD58X. By the way, to really transform the HD58X into « portable » gear, I bought a NewFantasia aftermarket cable on Amazon.com. The cable is 100% compatible with 600 series Sennheiser headphones, its relatively cheap (I paid like 25$ if I recall) and the cable includes a mic and a remote on cable, so that I really may use the HD58X on the move with my iPhone, and answer calls using the headphones. Obvisously it’s not a closed back headphones, so it will never be a good choice for bus, trains, airplanes or subway usage, because of its open design, letting the outside noises in and the music out... but I consider the open design as an advantage when walking in the streets for security reasons because I may hear the outside noises, like cars, trucks and people around me, so I won’t be hit by a car while taking a walk with my headphones...and the sound quality is first rate. I dare anybody to find a better sounding open backed headphone for 149$. Even for 200$ or 300$... well the HD6XX, I must say, but they absolutely need the DFR with my portable gear, not like the HD58X. And as I said, both headphone haves pluses (and minuses) soundwise, so I would understand that overall some would prefer one over the other depending on your taste, but objectively there is not a true overall winner between the HD6xx and the HD58x, although it’s a matter of personal preference.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2018 at 6:51 AM Post #4,626 of 5,077

@a-LeXx I don't know about the EU model's output voltage but I mostly listen to music at max volume. Maybe I should measure the output voltage.

Edit: I have just measured the output voltage of the phone. It gives 0.5V from the phone and 2.05V from the Fiio A3.

Now I should find a way to break the EU limitation other than rooting the phone. Hope there is one.
Because the Note9's sound quality very good and detailed. Just the output power is not enough. While I'm mobile using the Fiio is inconvenient. It adds bulk, needs recharging and I don't like cables much.

If I may add this comment: If you are using an european model and if its true that european models are limited to a 0,5v output (btw I have no knowledge if this fact, I like in Canada), then the use of the 2.1V capable DFR would make plenty of sense to override that voltage limitation and procure at least 1V of output, which is what I consider the optimal voltage level needed to enjoy the HD58X. I must also say if you want to save some money that the cheaper 99$ Dragonfly Black would also do the trick for your needs, since its output is rated at 1.2V, not enough for the HD6XX but quite enough for your HD58X and HD598.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #4,627 of 5,077
Hi to all.

I have the SnapDragon version of the S9, not the Exynos version of the Note 9, and I don't have any of your headphones, but...
To my ear and with my headphones, the DFR is a pretty significant upgrade to the S9's sound in almost all respects. I assume that Samsung models of a generation sound more or less the same.

That being said, why don't you test your headphones with the phone and see if it satisfies? If it sounds good to you and you don't feel like you're missing much (aside from what strangers on the internet say), then there's no real need to upgrade yet.

Nov 11, 2018 at 9:14 AM Post #4,628 of 5,077

I would check xda-developers forum for the note9. Might have some luck there. I know on some phones people are able to get rid of the volume limits, etc... Good luck

Nov 11, 2018 at 9:30 AM Post #4,629 of 5,077
I actually have another reason for posting in the thread. Just picked up a dfr for use with my HTC 10. I had issues with it and thought it might be useful for other people if they search here.

The dfr was working in UAPP, which i love, but anything else didn't give sound. I also had this problem with another brand usb dac.
None of the phone or app settings helped.
I started with Android nougat so I updated the phone to oreo 8.0. This didn't help but it gave me bluetooth AAC so i was happier.
At that point I noticed that the boomsound / dolby was still popping up in notifications while dfr was plugged in. It's only supposed to turn on when using the phone speakers. So i figured it might be a HTC software conflicting with the usb audio.
I was already rooted so I switched to LineageOS, non-HTC software, and now it works everywhere.

A little more neutral than HTC and possibly quieter background. More power using the DFR, and little more detail in the highs. At least that is what I feel.

Nov 11, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #4,630 of 5,077
I actually have another reason for posting in the thread. Just picked up a dfr for use with my HTC 10. I had issues with it and thought it might be useful for other people if they search here.

The dfr was working in UAPP, which i love, but anything else didn't give sound. I also had this problem with another brand usb dac.
None of the phone or app settings helped.
I started with Android nougat so I updated the phone to oreo 8.0. This didn't help but it gave me bluetooth AAC so i was happier.
At that point I noticed that the boomsound / dolby was still popping up in notifications while dfr was plugged in. It's only supposed to turn on when using the phone speakers. So i figured it might be a HTC software conflicting with the usb audio.
I was already rooted so I switched to LineageOS, non-HTC software, and now it works everywhere.

A little more neutral than HTC and possibly quieter background. More power using the DFR, and little more detail in the highs. At least that is what I feel.
The main drawback I've noticed with UAPP is that it likes to take control of the DFR and not let other apps use it. If I allow UAPP to open when I connect my DFR, in order to get it to work with Spotify, for instance, I have to unplug the DFR, quit UAPP, sometimes (but not always) force stop UAPP, quit Spotify, replug DFR, make sure UAPP doesn't open, reopen Spotify. Kind of a PITA, and I blame UAPP, not the Dragonfly.
For that reason I don't use UAPP as the default for the DFR, even though that would be more convenient since I use it far more than Spotify.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2018 at 9:14 AM Post #4,631 of 5,077
Hi to all.

I used my DF Red with HD650 and S8+ Snapdragon version... DF Red for me was a big upgrade to SQ and volume. Without it, max volume is good enough for my HD-25's but nowhere near loud enough for HD650. DF Red changes that completely for the better. You just need to purchase and play all your music through UAPP. It is a fantastic app which will play files on your network and on the device, and can link to Tidal and Google Music but I've not tried that.

I also had to upgrade the DAC firmware as it wasn't loud enough at first and had me worried.

Is it a wise move? That's questionable, open back headphones aren't really portable while the DF is a portable DAC. You may find yourself wanting to upgrade in future. It does a great job that's for sure.

Nov 12, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #4,632 of 5,077
I used my DF Red with HD650 and S8+ Snapdragon version... DF Red for me was a big upgrade to SQ and volume. Without it, max volume is good enough for my HD-25's but nowhere near loud enough for HD650. DF Red changes that completely for the better. You just need to purchase and play all your music through UAPP. It is a fantastic app which will play files on your network and on the device, and can link to Tidal and Google Music but I've not tried that.

I also had to upgrade the DAC firmware as it wasn't loud enough at first and had me worried.

Is it a wise move? That's questionable, open back headphones aren't really portable while the DF is a portable DAC. You may find yourself wanting to upgrade in future. It does a great job that's for sure.

Your comment makes sense because driving the HD650 is not the same thing as driving the HD58X or HD25. I own the three headphones and I own the DFR. Although the three headphones are considered sensitive and efficient (db/V or db/mw), the HD650 with its 300 ohms nominal impedance (and higher than that in the bass region) needs quite a lot more voltage (I would say that the 2.1V provided by the DFR is very welcome, and for living room experience I would recommend even a bit more voltage for full blasted music experience...). The HD58X has a nominal impedance of 150 ohms, and will provide acceptable performance with about 1V (although slighty higher would be better for full blasted music experience, which is not by the way the music level I normally look for when listening to headphones...). The HD25 with its 65 ohms nominal impedance doesn’t even need one half of 1V of voltage (but draws far more current than the HD58X or HD650). The real benefit of the DFR really depends on the sensitivity and impedance of your headphones. For some it makes a bigger difference (HD650/6xx) than other very sensitive lower impendance headphones such as the HD58X (150 ohms), HD25 (65 ohms), HD598 (about 50 ohms if I recall) or HD1/Momentums (about 18 or 24 ohms if I recall)... The output of a good phone or tablet (1V) or the DFB (1.2v) is enough for all these headphones except HD650/6xx, provided the op amp of the phone or tablet is of good quality and the DAC is okay. As I said before, all Apple products pass this test, and some Android products too (variable from one model or brand to another), provided that your product is not limited by the EU audio restrictions.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2018 at 11:23 PM Post #4,633 of 5,077
What are other's experience with using this on the new iPad Pro? I have the 11" and just got the official Apple USB-C to USB adapter and plugged my Dragonfly Red into it and it's not working as expected with the Onkyo HiRes player. It keeps downsampling to 44.1khz. I once had it at 48khz, but that was one time and I can't get it to repeat it. The source material I'm trying it with is 192khz FLAC files.

I have been reliably using the DFR with my iPhone X and the CCK to get proper bit perfect playback with the Onkyo player. These are files purchased through the Onkyo store, full "HiRes" 192 or 96khz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back