New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Nov 5, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #4,593 of 5,077
Was wandering around ABT Electronics in Chicagoland area last Saturday and they were having an Audioquest sale, which included the Dragonflys. Decided to pick up a Red and was out the door at $175.00. Its only use will be mobile with my iPhone 6S as I have Modi and Magni 3's at home. I really, really wanted to be amazed at a difference and I tried really hard to be amazed but in the end I had to be brutally honest with myself. I tested it with Hifiman HE4XX's, the Senn 58X and the FiiO FH5's. I honestly don't know if I would be able to tell the difference more than 50% of the time between the phone only and the phone with the Red in a blind, level matched test. To me there may be an ever so slight improvement in well recorded string instruments but I don't think it was enough to justify lugging around this extra thing hanging off (or attached) to my phone. It did drive the HE4XX's much better but those aren't something I use in a mobile manner anyway. I usually just use the FH5's and sometimes I walk the dog with the Senn HD58X's. Am I crazy? What am I missing here?

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #4,594 of 5,077
Was wandering around ABT Electronics in Chicagoland area last Saturday and they were having an Audioquest sale, which included the Dragonflys. Decided to pick up a Red and was out the door at $175.00. Its only use will be mobile with my iPhone 6S as I have Modi and Magni 3's at home. I really, really wanted to be amazed at a difference and I tried really hard to be amazed but in the end I had to be brutally honest with myself. I tested it with Hifiman HE4XX's, the Senn 58X and the FiiO FH5's. I honestly don't know if I would be able to tell the difference more than 50% of the time between the phone only and the phone with the Red in a blind, level matched test. To me there may be an ever so slight improvement in well recorded string instruments but I don't think it was enough to justify lugging around this extra thing hanging off (or attached) to my phone. It did drive the HE4XX's much better but those aren't something I use in a mobile manner anyway. I usually just use the FH5's and sometimes I walk the dog with the Senn HD58X's. Am I crazy? What am I missing here?
I find a significant difference with my iphone and the Dragononfly Red. Its not close really. Are you lowering the volume to near zero before you connect the Red?

Nov 5, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #4,595 of 5,077
I find a significant difference with my iphone and the Dragononfly Red. Its not close really. Are you lowering the volume to near zero before you connect the Red?

First, thanks for the reply. Sorry if I missed this earlier in the thread (I didn't go through the entire thing) but what does lowering the volume on the phone before connecting the Red do?

Nov 5, 2018 at 6:23 PM Post #4,598 of 5,077
Hi all. New to the forum. I have a DFB on the way. Lots of questions!
Wondering if anyone has used the DFB with an iPhone Xs? Will I be better with the apple usb 2 or 3 cable? Are the volume problems still there? Thanks in advance.
The volume problems that I know of were with Android Phones . A firmware update on Android phones was supposed to fix that but I don’t have any Android phones

Nov 5, 2018 at 6:38 PM Post #4,600 of 5,077
Hi all. New to the forum. I have a DFB on the way. Lots of questions!
Wondering if anyone has used the DFB with an iPhone Xs? Will I be better with the apple usb 2 or 3 cable? Are the volume problems still there? Thanks in advance.

You will probably not like what I have to say, but I think the DFB is only marginally better than the Apple dongle that comes with the iPhone X. For a significative difference, you should have chosen the DFR. The Apple dongle that you connect in the lightning output connector of the iPhone X has a very capable DAC from cirrus logic, it’s a delta sigma design, just like the ESS9010 in your DFB. Morover, the output provided by the dongle is similar to the output of other iPhones, typically about 0.9V to 1.0Vrms. The op amp used by Apple is very competent. The DFB has a voltage output only 20% higher at 1.2Vrms. By comparison, the DFR has a 2.1vrms output, similar to any cd player and 2x higher than an iPhone alone. Moreover, the Apple dongle is very well made, providing a first class sound output.

Check out this review: https://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/lightning-adapter-audio-quality.htm

For an alternative to a cheap made pc output the DFB is probably a good choice and a significant upgrade, but for an iPad or iPhone (even the lightning audio dongle) it is not a significant upgrade in my opinion. On the other hand, the DFR provides high impedance headphones which need higher voltage a true upgrade to the 1V output of an iPhone X with the lightning audio dongle.

To answer your questions, both the Apple USB 2 and 3 connectors are adequate for the DFB or DFR. Volume problems and clicks and pops with the USB 2 Apple connector are a thing of the past. With newer iOS versions, both connectors are flawless when used with the DFB amd DFR. In the past I was forced to use the Apple USB3 connector with my DFR. Now I prefer to use the USB2 connector since it is less bulky and has no sound problems anymore with the DFR.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2018 at 6:47 PM Post #4,601 of 5,077
Apple (usb) 3 (connector) cable sounds better (than the usb 2 connector): not true, not since iOS 11.

and has charging capability too: true.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #4,603 of 5,077
We will have to disagree and that includes Audioquest . Ask them .

Audioquest used to recommend the USB3 connector because there was a compatibility issue with the USB2 connector and the DFR/DFB. This is not the case anymore since the iOS11.2 or .3 upgrade. Audioquest has simply not corrected their web site since the issue correction on Apple’s side. I have used both connectors for a few years, the USB3 sound superiority used to be true, but in my personal opinion the USB2 connector now has no more sound issues and produces the same sound quality to my DFR than the USB3 connector. You are fully permitted to disagree if you wish to do so.

Nov 5, 2018 at 11:20 PM Post #4,604 of 5,077
Audioquest used to recommend the USB3 connector because there was a compatibility issue with the USB2 connector and the DFR/DFB. This is not the case anymore since the iOS11.2 or .3 upgrade. Audioquest has simply not corrected their web site since the issue correction on Apple’s side. I have used both connectors for a few years, the USB3 sound superiority used to be true, but in my personal opinion the USB2 connector now has no more sound issues and produces the same sound quality to my DFR than the USB3 connector. You are fully permitted to disagree if you wish to do so.

This is my exact same experience as well with a DFR and a 6s+, SE, and X.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back