New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Oct 1, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #4,577 of 5,077
Does anyone know how much milliwatts the Dragonfly Red could pump out at 600ohm ? I'm curious to know if it could drive the Beyer T1 to decent sound level and dynamics.
I use my dragonfly primarily with my 400s’ from Hifiman. The impedance of those is 22Ω and I can comfortably listen to the DAC at half volume. The Audioquest dragonfly red is really meant for more sensitive headphones and IEM’s. I don’t think it could drive 600Ω cans. The Red is ideal for headphone of an impedance of 100Ω+ but I’m not convinced that an impedance 6x higher than the ideal is going to work. I would look towards a bigger portable amp like the Sony PHA1A portable DAC witch has an Impedance of 8-600Ω.

Oct 14, 2018 at 3:30 AM Post #4,582 of 5,077
Hi, what cable do I need to get these to work on iPod touch 6th gen? Do I need to change any settings on the iPod?

Oct 18, 2018 at 10:18 PM Post #4,583 of 5,077
Hi all,
I'm trying out the DFR (latest firmware) with Audeze Sine, my iPhone 8Plus, and Apple's USB/Lightning CCK 3.1. I can't get this thing to last the full 10 hours of my work day. Is there a way to turn off the "Dragon" light up front (wasting battery juice) or some setting i'm not aware of? I gave up the Fiio Q5 for this because IT only lasted 10 hours (I'd like to get at least 15).

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2018 at 8:40 AM Post #4,584 of 5,077
Hi all,
I'm trying out the DFR (latest firmware) with Audeze Sine, my iPhone 8Plus, and Apple's USB/Lightning CCK 3.1. I can't get this thing to last the full 10 hours of my work day. Is there a way to turn off the "Dragon" light up front (wasting battery juice) or some setting i'm not aware of? I gave up the Fiio Q5 for this because IT only lasted 10 hours (I'd like to get at least 15).

Unless I'm missing something the IPhone 8Plus is only rated at 12 hours battery life (depending on usage) so I can't see how you would get at least 15 hours use.

You are probably going to have to carry a small power bank too.

Oct 19, 2018 at 8:54 AM Post #4,585 of 5,077
Hi all,
This is a setting I wish AudioQuest would work on. The light is maybe useful if you need to know which bitrate is being decoded, and maybe cute to look at, but beyond that, I agree that it's a needless draw on the battery (and annoyingly bright in a darkened room).

Oct 19, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #4,586 of 5,077
Unless I'm missing something the IPhone 8Plus is only rated at 12 hours battery life (depending on usage)
After listening a full day (10 hours use), I still have about 65-70% battery life on my phone.I keep the screen off (mostly), listening to podcast and playlist.

Oct 20, 2018 at 11:28 PM Post #4,588 of 5,077
Holy crap. I'd read you should leave your amp on to achieve the best sound but never paid it any mind. I would always unplug my DFR after my listening sessions. But four or five days ago, I left it plugged into my MBP and it seems to me the sound has improved considerably. For one thing, the soundstage seems much more three dimensional. I'd say you haven't really heard your DFR unless you've left it on for a few days.

On a side note, some months ago I criticized the DFR here because of some distortion that I thought might be due to it. But after I upgraded my MacBook Pro to a 2017 model, the issues went away. The sound has been flawless.

Oct 20, 2018 at 11:48 PM Post #4,589 of 5,077
I burned my DFR in for about four days with the XLO Test Disc, so sound "spaciousness" wasn't a problem, but I learned that getting it warmed up for a half-hour gets better sound than a cold start.

Oct 25, 2018 at 11:06 PM Post #4,590 of 5,077
Hello everyone,
Nice to meet you all. I'd just written a comparison between the 2012 and the 1.5, and then today I suddenly realized there must be a dedicated thread for the Dragonflies. I thought I could share it with you:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/audioquest-dragonfly-black.21493/reviews#review-21048

From what I read just above I must find a way to try out the Red. Oh my poor wallet.

Hi, what cable do I need to get these to work on iPod touch 6th gen? Do I need to change any settings on the iPod?
The safest bet is to buy the official Camera Connection Kit cable from Apple. All "unofficial" cable might stop working anytime after a future iOS update

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back