New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Jun 13, 2018 at 9:40 PM Post #4,441 of 5,077
I have the same results... without disabling True Tone. In the past, with my iPhone 6S I was using the CCK3 with the DFR, because the CCK2 was producing clicks and pops with the DFR. I eventually bought the iPhone X, I upgraded iOS from 11.3 up to 11.4. But even before 11.4 I switched back to the CCK2 with my new iPhone X and I never suffered from any clicks and pops like before. Same with iOS 11.4. And I never disabled True Tone anytime in the past or in the present.

Exact same experiences here; had clicks and pops with my iPhone 6s plus and the CCK2 on iOS 11, so I switched to the CCK3 with it. When I moved to the X I was happy to see that the CCK2 was working again. Never had a problem with any version of iOS 11.

Jun 14, 2018 at 12:06 AM Post #4,442 of 5,077
I eventually had to sell my DFR (with CCK cable) because of popping/crackling noises when using it with my iPhone X.

I know this is an iPhone X specific problem. Apparently if you turn off True Tone, it goes away and it does when I tested it. However, I could so hear maybe like 10%. Sold my Jitterbug too.

Got myself a Chord Mojo instead.

Just tried Spotify with DFR and CCK2 on my iPhone X running 11.4. I have True Tone disabled and no problems, so confirming @Colors observation as well.

I have the same results... without disabling True Tone. In the past, with my iPhone 6S I was using the CCK3 with the DFR, because the CCK2 was producing clicks and pops with the DFR. I eventually bought the iPhone X, I upgraded iOS from 11.3 up to 11.4. But even before 11.4 I switched back to the CCK2 with my new iPhone X and I never suffered from any clicks and pops like before. Same with iOS 11.4. And I never disabled True Tone anytime in the past or in the present.

Exact same experiences here; had clicks and pops with my iPhone 6s plus and the CCK2 on iOS 11, so I switched to the CCK3 with it. When I moved to the X I was happy to see that the CCK2 was working again. Never had a problem with any version of iOS 11.

Thank you very much all for your responses, I really appreciate it. It is great to hear that the old adapter works for iOS 11.4 however I forgot to mention that I was running iPhone 7 plus. Were there any chances that you have demoed it with the 7 plus? I have not yet pulled the trigger to purchase the CCK2.

Jun 14, 2018 at 9:50 PM Post #4,443 of 5,077
Thank you very much all for your responses, I really appreciate it. It is great to hear that the old adapter works for iOS 11.4 however I forgot to mention that I was running iPhone 7 plus. Were there any chances that you have demoed it with the 7 plus? I have not yet pulled the trigger to purchase the CCK2.

Sorry, I went straight from the 6s plus to the X, so I didn't try the 7 or 8.

Jun 16, 2018 at 8:29 AM Post #4,444 of 5,077
I just bought the Dragonfly Red, and i have an odd issue with it. I installed UAPP on my Samsung Galaxy S8+, and connected the DFR to it. The DFR gets recognized by UAPP, and when I play music, the UAPP interface shows that I’m using the DFR... but when I look at my notifications, Audio indicates that it’s giving me the internal Android signal, and indeed it sounds exactly the same as when I plug in my headphone directly with the regular audio jack. The really odd part is that when I pause music while it’s in supposed DFR mode, the Audio notofication *does* show that the signal is handled by the DFR, but as soon as I press Play, it jumps straight back to Android, and I can’t change it. What could be wrong here?

Jun 16, 2018 at 8:38 AM Post #4,445 of 5,077
I just bought the Dragonfly Red, and i have an odd issue with it. I installed UAPP on my Samsung Galaxy S8+, and connected the DFR to it. The DFR gets recognized by UAPP, and when I play music, the UAPP interface shows that I’m using the DFR... but when I look at my notifications, Audio indicates that it’s giving me the internal Android signal, and indeed it sounds exactly the same as when I plug in my headphone directly with the regular audio jack. The really odd part is that when I pause music while it’s in supposed DFR mode, the Audio notofication *does* show that the signal is handled by the DFR, but as soon as I press Play, it jumps straight back to Android, and I can’t change it. What could be wrong here?

Very simple: what’s wrong is that you are using an Android device. Swap your Galaxy junk for an iPhone X and be happy! Just joking, but the truth is that DFR compatibility with Android devices has always been so-so. The DFR is flawless with OSX or iOS devices, and more so since iOS 11, you may use either CCK2 ou CCK3 connectors flawlessly. With Android and UAPP connectors, it has always been hit and miss. Samsung Galaxies are great phones, running a still imperfect Android OS, so compatibility problems are prone to happen. And Audioquest has done a better job with iOS compatibility of its Black and Red devices than with Android OS. Have you upgraded your Android OS to its newest version?

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2018 at 8:56 AM Post #4,446 of 5,077
Hmm, I did indeed come across these compatibility issues, but since the DFR seemed to get recognized by my phone, I had hoped it would work. And I do have the most recent updates installed on both my phone and the DFR. Additionally, you say compatibilty is flawless with iOS devices. Well, I also connected it my iPad Pro 12.9, running on iOS 11.4 using a Lightning to USB Camera Adapter, but also there I don’t hear any difference, and there seems to be know way of knowing the signal is being processed by the DFR or by iOS itself. It almost feels like the DFR isn’t really doing anything at all. :triportsad:

Jun 16, 2018 at 9:07 AM Post #4,447 of 5,077
Hmm, I did indeed come across these compatibility issues, but since the DFR seemed to get recognized by my phone, I had hoped it would work. And I do have the most recent updates installed on both my phone and the DFR. Additionally, you say compatibilty is flawless with iOS devices. Well, I also connected it my iPad Pro 12.9, running on iOS 11.4 using a Lightning to USB Camera Adapter, but also there I don’t hear any difference, and there seems to be know way of knowing the signal is being processed by the DFR or by iOS itself. It almost feels like the DFR isn’t really doing anything at all. :triportsad:
I guess there are several possibilities...
First though, Does the light on the DFR change colors when you play different kHz of Hi-Res files? Or does it stay the same color. IF it is working properly it should show: Red: Standby; Green: 44.1kHz; Blue: 48kHz; Amber: 88.2kHz; Magenta: 96kHz. Try some flac files in these different resolutions. If you see the colors ,then the DFR is working properly, (and I suppose you are just not hearing the difference?) If the colors are not changing, then your DFR is not getting the correct signal from the phone. UAPP is supposed to send a clean signal on almost all Android phones to the external DAC. You may have some setting in UAPP wrong. Make sure you connect the DFR, THEN start UAPP so it can recognize it.

Jun 16, 2018 at 9:14 AM Post #4,448 of 5,077
I guess there are several possibilities...
First though, Does the light on the DFR change colors when you play different kHz of Hi-Res files? Or does it stay the same color. IF it is working properly it should show: Red: Standby; Green: 44.1kHz; Blue: 48kHz; Amber: 88.2kHz; Magenta: 96kHz. Try some flac files in these different resolutions. If you see the colors ,then the DFR is working properly, (and I suppose you are just not hearing the difference?) If the colors are not changing, then your DFR is not getting the correct signal from the phone. UAPP is supposed to send a clean signal on almost all Android phones to the external DAC. You may have some setting in UAPP wrong. Make sure you connect the DFR, THEN start UAPP so it can recognize it.
I already tested it with various resolution FLAC files, and it dutifully changes colors as it’s supposed to. Also, it’s not like I’m unable to tell differences between sound systems. My PC, my CD player, my iPad, and my phone all have easily distinguishable sound signatures, but no matter the source I connect the DFR to, there is never a discernable difference from the source itself

Jun 16, 2018 at 9:19 AM Post #4,450 of 5,077
I already tested it with various resolution FLAC files, and it dutifully changes colors as it’s supposed to. Also, it’s not like I’m unable to tell differences between sound systems. My PC, my CD player, my iPad, and my phone all have easily distinguishable sound signatures, but no matter the source I connect the DFR to, there is never a discernable difference from the source itself

I did not mean to disrespect you or your hearing of music. Just trying to help you diagnose the problem, and all possible reasons...

In my experience, when the DFR changes colors, it is in fact receiving the correct bit rate and sampling rate. So, it's not a phone problem.

Have you set it to "Bit Perfect" in UAPP? Can you show what settings you are using in UAPP?

Jun 16, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #4,451 of 5,077
I did not mean to disrespect you or your hearing of music. Just trying to help you diagnose the problem, and all possible reasons...

In my experience, when the DFR changes colors, it is in fact receiving the correct bit rate and sampling rate. So, it's not a phone problem.

Have you set it to "Bit Perfect" in UAPP? Can you show what settings you are using in UAPP?
No offense taken. :thumbsup: I have eveything set to Bit Perfect under HiRes and USB Audio, and under USB audio tweaks, the Use USB DAC box is checked. Otherwise I haven’t changed any settings. I also closed UAPP, then inserted the DFR, and only after that I restarted UAPP. No change. It’s still acting the same as before, and without a discernible difference in sound.

Jun 16, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #4,452 of 5,077
And i forgot, I also have Hardware Volume control on, and which the app also allows me to use.

Jun 16, 2018 at 10:16 AM Post #4,454 of 5,077
DFR is not bad, but output is too weak to drive 800S.
In my experience, the 800S has never felt underpowered even with the lowest-level recordings. I can always crank it up to an enjoyable level without any additional amplification, at least on the Galaxy S8.

Jun 16, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #4,455 of 5,077

Could it be you have a defective DFR?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back