New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Jan 30, 2018 at 10:03 PM Post #4,111 of 5,077
Went from a DF v1.2 to a RED and now it wont work with UAPP it just makes a skipping sound of the songs.

RED is v1.6FW
Phone is LG V20
Works fine in software mode in OS outside of UAPP.

Also as a side note the metal case of the RED is not perfect so he device inside rocks anyone else have this?

EDIT got it work right and it is better then the v1.2 black but also much wider sound stage and I prefer slightly narrower on the go. So it's going back for something else at a later date.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2018 at 9:29 PM Post #4,112 of 5,077
Odd DFR behavior. A few posts back, I mentioned that my DFR was making a buzzing sound that distorted the audio. The good thing is that it would happen so infrequently that it didn't bother me that much. But now it's happening every two minutes like clockwork.

Another difference is that whereas before the buzzing/distortion lasted maybe 15 seconds or more, now it only lasts about 2 or 3 seconds.

But what I find very strange is how regular it is. Two minutes of music listening go by and there it is again right on time. The frequency of this occurrence makes listening to music on my DFR intolerable. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #4,116 of 5,077
Normally use my DFR with android via UAPP for bitperfect playback of Tidal. With an iPhone (128GB SE specifically) will offline Spotify & Tidal play back bitperfect ? Sounds awesome to my ears with my SE846 IEM's or HD660S headphones.

Just wondering if the iPhone avoids upscaling etc.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2018 at 7:59 AM Post #4,118 of 5,077
What’s up guys, quick question

Can the dragonfly red v2 power hd 650s? Currently been running most of my stuff mobile from an iPhone x but the 650s don’t sound full at all compared to my desktop set up

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2018 at 8:45 AM Post #4,119 of 5,077
What’s up guys, quick question

Can the dragonfly red v2 power hd 650s? Currently been running most of my stuff mobile from an iPhone x but the 650s don’t sound full at all compared to my desktop set up

First, I don’t know what is the v2 version, from what I know the current Dragonfly Red is called version 1.0. Yes it has about 2v of output voltage if this is what you are refering to. Anyways, just to let you know that I use the Red with my HD6xx and HD600 as my main headphones with my iPad Pro and iPhone 6s nearly every day (using the Lightning to USB Camera connector from Apple) and the setup suits me fine. However I don’t listen to my music at stadium rock concert levels, so you may want more power than what the Red provides me. I also find that the Red’s design, with the Sabre ES9016 DAC/digital amp, pairs particularly well with the HD6xx/650, with the Red’s tighter bass and brighter upper treble. Try it for yourself to see if the power output suits your listening habits. It suits mine perfectly in most situations.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2018 at 8:51 AM Post #4,120 of 5,077
First, I don’t know what is the v2 version, from what I know the current Dragonfly Red is called version 1.0. Yes it has about 2v of output voltage if this is what you are refering to. Anyways, just to let you know that I use the Red with my HD6xx and HD600 as my main headphones with my iPad Pro and iPhone 6s nearly every day (using the Lightning to USB Camera connector from Apple) and the setup suits me fine. However I don’t listen to my music at stadium rock concert levels, so you may want more power than what the Red provides me. I also find that the Red’s design, with the Sabre ES9016 DAC/digital amp, pairs particularly well with the HD6xx/650, with the Red’s tighter bass and brighter upper treble. Try it for yourself to see if the power output suits your listening habits. It suits mine perfectly in most situations.

Thanks for the detail. Not to worried about the volume, just the fullness. My phone can power the 650s enough to listen to at loud volumes, but they sound bad because they’re obviously not being driven correctly. Might try one of these out

Feb 7, 2018 at 5:22 AM Post #4,124 of 5,077
I have the DFR and I've noticed that it sounds better on my iPad Pro than my iPhone X and MUCH better on my MacBook Pro than my iPhone X. is there something I'm missing or should be paying attention to? I've try apple music, Spotify, and tidal.
Maybe your MacBook got a more stable current stream from the USB jacks. Also electric isolation may play a role. You could try if a Jitterbug would help there.

Feb 7, 2018 at 7:48 AM Post #4,125 of 5,077
I have the DFR and I've noticed that it sounds better on my iPad Pro than my iPhone X and MUCH better on my MacBook Pro than my iPhone X. is there something I'm missing or should be paying attention to? I've try apple music, Spotify, and tidal.

Try airplane mode on your X and see how that sounds. It could be the cellular signal is interfering with the X and why the iPad Pro sounds better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back