New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Feb 7, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #4,129 of 5,077
Ive been looking for some Desktop DACS (without amp section) for some time now and besides some Dacs i really would like to test (JDS Labs El Dac, Schiit Modi Multibit, Chord Cutest) i still dont know how much i would need to spend so see a clear upgrade to the DFR here. Would i need to spend 500€+ to see an actual upgrade or even more? I made some arguments for and against a separate Desktop Dac.

+ Desktop DAC:
form factor to pair with my desktop amp
probably better sound because of bigger form factor
possible broken usb slots in the future from the DFR hanging there (it seems unstable)
no double amping from the DFR (some say it does not at 100% line out level but im a bit sceptic)

- Desktop DAC:
The Dac section of the DFR is already crazy good if you are going to trust peoples opinions
empty purse
possible DFR synergy with my Audioquest Nightowls

What are your thoughts and experiences? How much would i need to spend to see a real upgrade? What Dacs can you guys recommend (<500€)?

Feb 7, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #4,130 of 5,077
Can't really advise...

But if you're looking solely for an upgrade in SQ and you are connecting the DFR directly to the PC USB port, there might be cheaper and simpler ways to upgrade your DFR performance in the meantime. Jitterbug, USB noise filters, isolators, battery power, etc...

The simplicity of stick dacs like the DFR means that these optimization might impact their performance to a larger extent than desktop dacs that you connect to the source through cables. Or so I speculate... This is an area to explore that many people miss. USB, by default, is not a very clean way to extract audio from a computer.

Better get something else if the longevity of the USB ports is a legit concern, though.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #4,131 of 5,077
Ive been looking for some Desktop DACS (without amp section) for some time now and besides some Dacs i really would like to test (JDS Labs El Dac, Schiit Modi Multibit, Chord Cutest) i still dont know how much i would need to spend so see a clear upgrade to the DFR here. Would i need to spend 500€+ to see an actual upgrade or even more? I made some arguments for and against a separate Desktop Dac.

+ Desktop DAC:
form factor to pair with my desktop amp
probably better sound because of bigger form factor
possible broken usb slots in the future from the DFR hanging there (it seems unstable)
no double amping from the DFR (some say it does not at 100% line out level but im a bit sceptic)

- Desktop DAC:
The Dac section of the DFR is already crazy good if you are going to trust peoples opinions
empty purse
possible DFR synergy with my Audioquest Nightowls

What are your thoughts and experiences? How much would i need to spend to see a real upgrade? What Dacs can you guys recommend (<500€)?

A used Gustard X20U is a very noticeable upgrade to the DFR... phenominal top end level DAC for mid-fi money... better detail, finesse (especially in vocals where intonation changes are much more noticeable), dynamics, and bass presentation/extension. I prefer the DFR over the Schiit Bifrost (4490), even if the Bifrost is technically the better DAC - the Bifrost is too sterile/flat sounding and just not as clear. The Gustard X20U is a noticeable step up from both - entirely different class of DAC, and a used one can be had for not that much more than a Bifrost.

Feb 7, 2018 at 8:52 PM Post #4,132 of 5,077
I have a Dragonfly Red. Even though it should be a little more effcient than the Black, Ampere also reports a difference of around 50mAh. This is measured between playing music from the headphone out and from the Dragonfly Red. However the Ampere app does not to seem very exact

Feb 8, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #4,133 of 5,077
Hi guys, I received my dragonfly black today and I plugged it in my pc to update to 1.06 but I saw that there was an 1.07 version and I updated it. Did you received the new 1.07 update?

With this update the UAPP trick is not working for me. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or it is the update but when I close uapp the light change from green to blue. Someone can help me?

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #4,139 of 5,077
Hi guys, I received my dragonfly black today and I plugged it in my pc to update to 1.06 but I saw that there was an 1.07 version and I updated it. Did you received the new 1.07 update?

With this update the UAPP trick is not working for me. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or it is the update but when I close uapp the light change from green to blue. Someone can help me?
No one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back