New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Jan 22, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #4,096 of 5,077
I have an Apple iPad Pro 9.7 inch, iPhone 7 Plus, the Sennheiser HD 598 SR headphones, and a Apple MacBook Pro. Also I use Apple Music. I currently have the DF 1.2 and I'm thinking of replacing it with the DFB or DFR. Out of the DFB and DFR, which one is recommended for my setup?

Jan 22, 2018 at 10:42 AM Post #4,097 of 5,077
I have an Apple iPad Pro 9.7 inch, iPhone 7 Plus, the Sennheiser HD 598 SR headphones, and a Apple MacBook Pro. Also I use Apple Music. I currently have the DF 1.2 and I'm thinking of replacing it with the DFB or DFR. Out of the DFB and DFR, which one is recommended for my setup?

The DFB should suit your HD598 needs, and will provide the capability to use them with your iPhone and iPad Pro. However the DFR is superior, provides bitperfect digital volume, and is more powerful, providing more than 2 volts of output (The DFB has a 1.2v output, not a lot more than the output of your iPad Pro’s analog output jack). This doesn’t matter too much with low impedance headphones such as the HD598, but the DFR gives you the possibility to drive higher impedance headphones like the HD600, HD650 or HD660s or lower sensitivity headphones in the future. However the DFB is half the price if the DFR. That’s basically what you need to know to take your decision.

I have the DFR, it works wonders with all of my headphones, HD598, HD600 and HD6xx. I do not regret picking the Red instead of the Black for the output extra voltage and sound quality with my iPhone 6S and my iPad Pro 9.7. I even use the DFR as a DAC only in DAC mode with my home gear (headphone amp, stereo receivers, etc.). The DFR has a that enclosed DAC Sabre 9016 that is so excellent, better than any other DAC I own in my other components in the house. It’s that good.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2018 at 7:48 PM Post #4,098 of 5,077
The DFB should suit your HD598 needs, and will provide the capability to use them with your iPhone and iPad Pro. However the DFR is superior, provides bitperfect digital volume, and is more powerful, providing more than 2 volts of output (The DFB has a 1.2v output, not a lot more than the output of your iPad Pro’s analog output jack). This doesn’t matter too much with low impedance headphones such as the HD598, but the DFR gives you the possibility to drive higher impedance headphones like the HD600, HD650 or HD660s or lower sensitivity headphones in the future. However the DFB is half the price if the DFR. That’s basically what you need to know to take your decision.

I have the DFR, it works wonders with all of my headphones, HD598, HD600 and HD6xx. I do not regret picking the Red instead of the Black for the output extra voltage and sound quality with my iPhone 6S and my iPad Pro 9.7. I even use the DFR as a DAC only in DAC mode with my home gear (headphone amp, stereo receivers, etc.). The DFR has a that enclosed DAC Sabre 9016 that is so excellent, better than any other DAC I own in my other components in the house. It’s that good.
I'm with you on that last bit. All of my devices are portable, but I use my DFR to input into various portable amps for slightly different sound signatures, depending on headphones used. The DFR is very clean, and detailed. Adding other amps warms up the presentation, recesses the mids ever so slightly and produces a more musical presentation for the most part. Love the versatility of the DFR

Jan 23, 2018 at 10:31 AM Post #4,099 of 5,077

I'm with you on that last bit. All of my devices are portable, but I use my DFR to input into various portable amps for slightly different sound signatures, depending on headphones used. The DFR is very clean, and detailed. Adding other amps warms up the presentation, recesses the mids ever so slightly and produces a more musical presentation for the most part. Love the versatility of the DFR

Thanks for your help. I ordered the DFR yesterday. I've been reading on the Audioquest Jitterbug. Do you think its necessary to have for the DFR, The Sennheiser HD 598 SR, the iPad Pro 9.7 inch, iPhone 7 Plus, and a MacBook Pro?

Jan 23, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #4,100 of 5,077
Thanks for your help. I ordered the DFR yesterday. I've been reading on the Audioquest Jitterbug. Do you think its necessary to have for the DFR, The Sennheiser HD 598 SR, the iPad Pro 9.7 inch, iPhone 7 Plus, and a MacBook Pro?

I have the Jitterbug, and i only use it on the USB out of the Macbook Pro with the DFR, and never use it with my portable Apple units. Not sure it changes a lot, the Macbooks are well insulated, but I doesn’t cost that much to try for yourself.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #4,101 of 5,077
I have a jitterbug connected to my Android phone and DFR. I was sceptical, but wanted to try it. There was a noticeable difference in SQ change. With jitterbug, tighter, smoother, more lively. Have done a blind listening test with others at Canjam. Surprising and happy addition. Worth the $50 IMO

Jan 24, 2018 at 5:36 PM Post #4,102 of 5,077
I even use the DFR as a DAC only in DAC mode with my home gear (headphone amp, stereo receivers, etc.). The DFR has a that enclosed DAC Sabre 9016 that is so excellent, better than any other DAC I own in my other components in the house. It’s that good.

This very much. As good as it is for portable DAC/amp use on its own, the DFR really impresses when used as DAC in line-out mode and connected to better amps. For music, my HT has never sounded as good through the Oppo Blu-ray player or my Yamaha DVD-S1800 SACD player as it does through the DFR. Laptop -> DFR -> NAD T747 Receiver (used as pre-amp to pass the analog audio directly to amp unchanged) -> NAD C275BEE stereo amp -> Polk RTi-A5 really sounds NICE! More dynamics, bass, and details. Only thing better sounding I have is the Gustard X20U DAC... which is a whole different level of DAC.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2018 at 3:09 AM Post #4,103 of 5,077
I have an Samsung Galaxy S6, Lenovo Z570 and Bang and Olufsen H6 second generation headphones. I use Spotify and Tidal. I currently have the Fiio K1 and I'm thinking of replacing it with the DFB or DFR. Out of the DFB and DFR, which one is recommended for my setup? What are the differences between Fiio K1 and dragonflys? Is it worth buying dragonfly?

Jan 25, 2018 at 4:52 AM Post #4,104 of 5,077
Been looking for a decent dac/amp for my Dita-Answers which are easy to drive but I need a clean source as its very susceptible to noise. Will the DFB 1.5 do the trick? Anyone usimg it with a sensitive IEM like the Katanas or Andromedas?

Jan 25, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #4,105 of 5,077
Been looking for a decent dac/amp for my Dita-Answers which are easy to drive but I need a clean source as its very susceptible to noise. Will the DFB 1.5 do the trick? Anyone usimg it with a sensitive IEM like the Katanas or Andromedas?
Had the DFB before, now have the DFR. They have very low noise floors even for sensitive IEMs, IMO.

When I use sensitive IEMs with the DFR though, I use an iFi IEMatch so I can raise the volume to a comfy listening level before distortion kicks in.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #4,106 of 5,077
Had the DFB before, now have the DFR. They have very low noise floors even for sensitive IEMs, IMO.

When I use sensitive IEMs with the DFR though, I use an iFi IEMatch so I can raise the volume to a comfy listening level before distortion kicks in.
Can't comment on the red, but I tested multiple and the black definitely has a lot of noise. Barely usable with some IEMs

Jan 25, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #4,107 of 5,077
I have an Samsung Galaxy S6, Lenovo Z570 and Bang and Olufsen H6 second generation headphones. I use Spotify and Tidal. I currently have the Fiio K1 and I'm thinking of replacing it with the DFB or DFR. Out of the DFB and DFR, which one is recommended for my setup? What are the differences between Fiio K1 and dragonflys? Is it worth buying dragonfly?
Have the k1, have the dragonfly red. More power, better audio reproduction, greater instrument separation, more detail, tighter bass...

Jan 29, 2018 at 6:10 AM Post #4,109 of 5,077
Just for your interest.
DFR doensn't work good with Campfire Jupiter at all.
Muddy unfocused bass, loss of details. Altered mid performance(lower mids recessed, upper mid boosted),and spike right in the region of low and high driver crossing(sounds like edgy clipping otherworldly ghost scream on some recordings).
Very VERY noticeable hiss. Hisses like my old 535 plugged into e12a, when it charges. Ifi iematch doesn't work at all (unlistenable distortions, feeling that the ground and l/r is swapped).
Some casual comparisons.
Pha-3 SE has the +- same ammount of bass but more focused and detailed. Mids more smooth. Treble is more neat(not recessed). Unfortunately currently i haven't a right balanced cable for Pha-3.
Sony XZP(without additional dac) (i am using usb player pro) has slight bass rolloff(pleasant for my taste), no hiss at all. Mids more present because of bass rolloff. Treble is not recessed, but loses some microdetails which Pha-3 have.

Insta moneyback, thanks to the shop.
p.s. i don't think that DFR is bad product, but it doesn't work good with my gear.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #4,110 of 5,077
I purchased a Dragonfly Red and I'm very pleased with the purchase. My intent was to use it with my iPhone, but I've found that it works really well in my iPhone -> CCK -> Dragonfly Red -> Car's AUX jack set-up, too. I've dropped it into a USB port on my PC just to compare it to my Modi 2 Multibit -> Vali 2 set-up, and it is a bit less exciting than the Schiit stack. It sounds nice and clean, but I'll keep it away from the desktop and in my workbag. It beats carrying around an amp or DAC/Amp combo for my iPhone or iPod. Well done, Audioquest!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back