New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Jan 10, 2018 at 8:16 PM Post #4,081 of 5,077
Any opinions about the Jitterbug? It sounds like a gimmick to me but of course there are always people who think they hear an improvement.
Been using DFR since 2016. Been using jitterbug since early 2017. It's connected to smartphone used as a dap. Makes a noticeable difference in SQ. I did a blind test with people who don't know much about audio, as well as auditioned it for people who had never used one while at Canjam. All noticed a difference with it. Sound is cleaner, better soundstage. Some DAC'S already have good jitter reducers built in so not going to affect all devices the same, but on an Android phone, makes a noticeable welcome difference.

Jan 11, 2018 at 4:34 AM Post #4,082 of 5,077
Any opinions about the Jitterbug? It sounds like a gimmick to me but of course there are always people who think they hear an improvement.
Wanted to ask the same thing. Wanted to test the Audioquest Jitterbug but stumbled upon the ifi iSilencer 3.0 which some say is better.

Just asking myself if the synergy with the Jitterbug would be better since im just using Audioquest products (Dragonfly Red + Nightowls)

Jan 11, 2018 at 4:34 AM Post #4,083 of 5,077
It has nothing to do with the Dragonfly. It's an issue with updated iOS and particular USB2 cck adapters.
DFB with Iphone 6s and CCK2, I used to have clicks and pops, then they disappeared with the use of the CCK3.
Now I'm using DFB with CCK2 (because it's smaller/more portable than CCK3) connected to an Iphone X.....no clicks/pops at all.
Not sure but I think the issue is more related to IOS release version (I'm on 11.2.2).

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2018 at 5:01 AM Post #4,084 of 5,077
I love my Dragonfly Red and i know its DAC is far superior for its price. Since my Nightowl cables are too short anyway und replacing those would cost a lot of money too i was wondering if i just get a Fiio A5 and place this on my desk.

So my question would be is the Fiio A5 amp section superior (in terms of quality not raw power!) to the DFR's amp section or would it just be a sidegrade?

Jan 15, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #4,085 of 5,077
I love my Dragonfly Red and i know its DAC is far superior for its price. Since my Nightowl cables are too short anyway und replacing those would cost a lot of money too i was wondering if i just get a Fiio A5 and place this on my desk.

So my question would be is the Fiio A5 amp section superior (in terms of quality not raw power!) to the DFR's amp section or would it just be a sidegrade?
Adding the Fiio amp will slightly change the sound signature. The DFR is highly detailed. Adding the Fiio will lose some of that detail, but could possibly widen the soundstage a bit, and produce a wider/more musical signature. Fiio amps are warmer sounding than the DFR.

Jan 15, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #4,086 of 5,077
Adding the Fiio amp will slightly change the sound signature. The DFR is highly detailed. Adding the Fiio will lose some of that detail, but could possibly widen the soundstage a bit, and produce a wider/more musical signature. Fiio amps are warmer sounding than the DFR.
Thanks, i ordered the Fiio A5 an hour ago after reading how Lieven from Headfonia praised the Nightowl + Fiio A5 combination high. Seems those two really complement each other.
"The Audioquest NightOwl is my headphone of the year so far and it sounds divine with the A5."

Gotta agree on the Nightowl part btw those headphones are just magic!

Jan 15, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #4,087 of 5,077
Thanks, i ordered the Fiio A5 an hour ago after reading how Lieven from Headfonia praised the Nightowl + Fiio A5 combination high. Seems those two really complement each other.

Gotta agree on the Nightowl part btw those headphones are just magic!
I own the Nightowl, but I HATE the boost pads that came with it. Don't like the extended treble. Doesn't sound natural to me. I purchased the original Nightowl "hybrid" pads, and I truly love these headphones. The hybrid pads present a warmer and deeper/wider soundstage. A much more musical presentation that I just truly love. If you like the ultrasuede pads at all, then the hybrid pads are amazing. I'm not a fan of extended treble. I thought the original nighthawk was pretty much perfect for me, but I did want a closed back can

Jan 16, 2018 at 3:39 AM Post #4,089 of 5,077
My DFR is given to making some loud, distorting, buzzing noises now and then, usually when it's warming up. A) does anybody else have this problem? B) Would adding a Jitterbug help with it?

Yes, in particular when I use it with my Android device. It only seems to last a second or so, and it doesn't seem to cause lasting issues...

I don't have a Jitterbug to try :frowning2:

Jan 19, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #4,090 of 5,077
I can’t recall where I read this but the iPhone 6,6+,6s, and 6s+ were the affected phones. I could be missing some others but those are the ones I remember. Personally I have the same problem using the older cck with the 6s+ and with the new cck there are no issues.

I think you're right, because I had the same problem with a 6s+ and CCK2. I'm now using an iPhone X, and the CCK2 works fine with a DFR, no crackling or issues at all, full 96k resolution (magenta butterfly). It's nice to be able to use the smaller connector again.

Jan 19, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #4,091 of 5,077
I think you're right, because I had the same problem with a 6s+ and CCK2. I'm now using an iPhone X, and the CCK2 works fine with a DFR, no crackling or issues at all, full 96k resolution (magenta butterfly). It's nice to be able to use the smaller connector again.

That's good to hear, forgive me for not rushing out and buying an iPhone X though. :grin:

Jan 19, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #4,092 of 5,077
For what it's worth, I have an iPhoneX and get horrible dropouts with the DFR. Seems like everyone has a different experience. I tried every adapter ever made with the same result. The dropouts only occur when I'm using the phone while listening to music. If it's in lock mode, no issues.

Jan 19, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #4,093 of 5,077
That's good to hear, forgive me for not rushing out and buying an iPhone X though. :grin:

Heresy! What kind of an audiophoolphile are you! Spend that money! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

For what it's worth, I have an iPhoneX and get horrible dropouts with the DFR. Seems like everyone has a different experience. I tried every adapter ever made with the same result. The dropouts only occur when I'm using the phone while listening to music. If it's in lock mode, no issues.

Oh weird. I don't use iTunes (or music or whatever the hell the built in music player is now called), but a bunch of streaming services and alternative players. wifi/cell/lock status/etc. all fine, no dropouts/crackling. Phone was not set up clean, but restored from a backup. I hope you figure it out :head_bandage:

Jan 21, 2018 at 6:32 AM Post #4,094 of 5,077
After some testing i gotta agree. The Fiio is awesome for its price but its more like a sidegrade to the DFR. The thing that changes is a slight change in the sound signature. I actually prefer the clarity of the DFR, and it got plenty enough of power for the Nightowls.

Just dont like the instability the DFR got in my desktop pc with a cable attached. How do you guys fix that?

Jan 21, 2018 at 9:04 PM Post #4,095 of 5,077
Just wanted to contribute my first impressions about the $10 USB noise filter from ebay. Seeing a comparison video on youtube by "Tharbamar," he said it was very comparable to the AudioQuest JitterBug...and at 1/5 the price...my thoughts were: "Why not?" Also, I like being frugal; even though I have an AudioQuest DragonFly 1.0, I still bought a third-party USB extender cable--the DragonTail makes no sense to me @ $16 when one can be had for $4. Much the same feelings come about in terms of a USB noise filter: $50 vs $10... On its own though, I still love and appreciate my DragonFly, I just don't need to buy all the matching trinkets for it.

The Altoids Smalls tin was nice to work with as I managed to measure and easily cut out the slots I needed (I then used a file to blunt any sharp edges). On one side of the Altoids tin, the USB extender cable is resting on its cut out, and on the other side, to make it level, I hot-glued a rubber piece (from an old set of isolation feet, I think), and then I hot glued both sides to the tin case itself to hold it all in place.

Aurally, the difference is easily noticeable. Upon testing, though unscientifically, I noticed a wider sense of space around my head and instruments more separated from each other. The most noticeable differences though would be a very smoothed out treble that still reaches great heights and bass that's much more hard-hitting and solid. If I let uncritical listeners try, I'd bet those are the two things that they'd point out if I asked them to try and tell a difference. Furthermore, breaths between lyrics, and subtle inflections in voices are more obvious. When I switch back to the DragonFly alone, singers don't nearly have the same effect of seemingly being right before me. Now, I'm definitely in the future going to do a double-blind test just to do it, but at $10 I'm not at all worried about buyer's remorse or placebo insiting to my brain that the USB filter sounds better. Calmly and rationally, I can honestly notice it does, at least it caters more toward the type of sound I like. This was just a first impression, and I'll be back once I do that double-blind test in the future. Cheers!

P1070734.JPG P1070749.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back