New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Nov 26, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #3,978 of 5,077
damn you americans with you low priced audio products. in germany we like always have to pay 50% more!

on a side note im very happy with my Philips X2 and the DFR so the 9500 should be pretty close :)

Well I'm Canadian so not as cheap here as the USA, and our dollar has been weak the past while so prices have gone up even more. But definitely cheaper than in Germany by the sound of it! I hope have a listen to the X2 one day - I think I'd like the sound, but I think it's a little specific in sound colouration for my needs. Plus it doesn't even seem to be available for purchase anywhere that I can find.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #3,979 of 5,077
Yeah they sold off the last charges of the normal non HR version in the last weeks. I was lucky enough to get them for 130€ which was a no brainer and Im happy since :) I still cant decide if i really need the extra Fiio A5 in combination with the DFR though. The X2 are fairly easy to drive and i think im reaching diminishing returns here.

Nov 27, 2017 at 1:56 AM Post #3,980 of 5,077
Yeah that is a hard one though so many on
Yeah they sold off the last charges of the normal non HR version in the last weeks. I was lucky enough to get them for 130€ which was a no brainer and Im happy since :) I still cant decide if i really need the extra Fiio A5 in combination with the DFR though. The X2 are fairly easy to drive and i think im reaching diminishing returns here.
Probably don't need the A5 as the DFR's 2.1 Vrms will be supplying more than 2 x 145 mW @ 30 ohms which could take the X2s to an ear shattering 121 dB! Even the DFB would give you 2 x 52 mW @ 30 ohms for a max loudness of 117 dB which is well beyond what you need! Though some people don't prefer and/or recommend integrated op amp/DAC combinations like the DragonFlys, nor do they believe that usb power/audio on the same line sound is good, or do they find that usb power is enough and therefore would recommend you get the A5 even before the DFR. Horses for courses.

upload_2017-11-27_13-47-49.png

Nov 27, 2017 at 7:39 AM Post #3,981 of 5,077
I didnt buy the Fiio A5 for volume but for sound quality. Ive read a comment here, that said the the Fiio A5 and DFR are a wonderful paring and add a lot of clarity and bass. A lot is highly subjective though and i still cant decide if i hear the differences or not. I guess its more a placebo peace of mind thingy :p

Nov 29, 2017 at 2:04 AM Post #3,982 of 5,077
Sorry if this has already been answered before.

I just got an iPhone X and a Dragonfly Red. I currently have a pair of 1More Quad IEMs. On my laptop, plugging in the Dragonfly, it sounds incredible. Soundstage is very wide and the sound is super crisp and overall sounds significantly better than the built in headphone jack. When I use the Dragonfly on my iPhone X via the USB Camera adapter, the sound isn't remotely as good. It still sounds better than using Apple's included headphone adapter, but the soundstage is significantly narrowed and it sounds much muddier, far less crisp and clean. Is that to be expected? I'm very new to this kind of stuff, but my understanding is that it shouldn't make a difference where you put the Dragonfly, as it's the DAC that makes the sound, not the device that's using it . So regardless of the device, assuming you're using the same headphones, it'll sound exactly the same if you're using the Dragonfly. Or is it that the Lightning jack isn't giving the DAC enough power? Or is it iOS?

Am i mistaken that it should sound the same as on my laptop, or am I doing something wrong? Should the Dragonfly sound as good on the iPhone as it does on my laptop? Thanks.

Nov 29, 2017 at 4:11 AM Post #3,983 of 5,077
I have just got an Iphone 8+. First I tried with DF red with the adapter, but it was not as good as my old android Sony Z5 phone (sounded great). Then I tried a pair of Audeze SINE with the cipher cable, and that was really good. Better than my Android with DFR. I saw another writing about the bad sound he got from an Iphone X with DFR, so it seems there is a problem with the new Iphones and DF? Have anybody tried with Iphone 7 or 6?

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2017 at 8:39 AM Post #3,984 of 5,077
I just bought a DF black. I'm using it with a galaxy S8, but have a question. I'm connecting the DF black with an Anker otg cable and using the stock Samsung Music app to play FLAC/WAV files.

When using my HE400i with the DFB I still have to have the volume up to about 70-75 percent to get decent sound. This is about the same volume level I use when plugging in the He400i straight into the headphone jack.

Is this normal? I'd have thought the volume level required would be lower with the DFB.

Nov 29, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #3,985 of 5,077
I just bought a DF black. I'm using it with a galaxy S8, but have a question. I'm connecting the DF black with an Anker otg cable and using the stock Samsung Music app to play FLAC/WAV files.

When using my HE400i with the DFB I still have to have the volume up to about 70-75 percent to get decent sound. This is about the same volume level I use when plugging in the He400i straight into the headphone jack.

Is this normal? I'd have thought the volume level required would be lower with the DFB.
Search Dragonfly volume issues. Android defaults Dragonfly volume at approximately 40%. First update Dragonfly using Audioquest computer ipdater app. Then you'll need sn app like USB audio player pro to change Dragonfly internal volume. Actually, search for my posts on this thread. I've given out detailed instructions to several individuals

Dec 1, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #3,986 of 5,077
I have just got an Iphone 8+. First I tried with DF red with the adapter, but it was not as good as my old android Sony Z5 phone (sounded great). Then I tried a pair of Audeze SINE with the cipher cable, and that was really good. Better than my Android with DFR. I saw another writing about the bad sound he got from an Iphone X with DFR, so it seems there is a problem with the new Iphones and DF? Have anybody tried with Iphone 7 or 6?
+1

I have an iphone 6s and I'll considering the DFR but I'd like to know from others with this or a similar iphone combo if the sound quality is worth the price or if the DFR will not perform as well out of my source as a laptop for example. I'll be using it with earbuds (mostly 12-32 ohms, medium-high sensitivity)

Is there any other portable dac I should consider for my 6s? It's quite difficult to find something that's under $200 to pair with this phone that doesn't have it's own issues from what I read...

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #3,987 of 5,077
How does the Red sound in comparison to the Black? I've owned the Black, and I thought it sounded way too thin and linear with a bit too much upper-midrange push and such a limited soundstage for my taste. Is the Red really worth $200?

Dec 1, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #3,988 of 5,077
How does the Red sound in comparison to the Black? I've owned the Black, and I thought it sounded way too thin and linear with a bit too much upper-midrange push and such a limited soundstage for my taste. Is the Red really worth $200?

I own the black but have never head the red. If it sounds thin, it's your headphones or source. Several here who've used both have suggested the black - if anything - is warmer than the red.

Dec 1, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #3,989 of 5,077
I own the black but have never head the red. If it sounds thin, it's your headphones or source. Several here who've used both have suggested the black - if anything - is warmer than the red.
I currently use the AD700X. Using the DragonFly Black, I thought it sounded way too punchy, and thought it was appropriate more for like punk or something. lol

Dec 1, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #3,990 of 5,077
Red is better than Black in basically every way, clearer, more dynamic, better detail, CLEAN bass. Pair Red up with an awesome warm leaning amp and bass impacts and extension is absolutely beautiful, better than the sloppy bass from the Black. Only thing Black is better at is when used in PA system (like this which is what I use the black with) to keep the speakers more laid back sounding (because more rolled off in highs) so you can have the music be pleasant at listening volume.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back