New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Aug 13, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #3,692 of 5,077
Anybody know what cable I need to get my dragonfly black to work with my Samsung s8 with a type c usb.
Just a USB C OTG cable. You will need to make sure the black is on the newest firmware, and you will need sn app like us audio player pro to adjust the internal volume of the DAC for better volume use in other media apps. Works just fine

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2017 at 12:36 AM Post #3,695 of 5,077
we're having a few problems on the chord hugo 2 thread running it with tidal in exclusive mode on hifi 16/44 tracks. this results in distortion. masters tracks play fine in exclusive mode. could someone kindly test their dragonfly on tidal exclusive mode playing hifi tracks to see if distortion happens. this will help in understanding whether the problem is specific to chord dacs. many thanks mk

Aug 15, 2017 at 1:24 AM Post #3,696 of 5,077
we're having a few problems on the chord hugo 2 thread running it with tidal in exclusive mode on hifi 16/44 tracks. this results in distortion. masters tracks play fine in exclusive mode. could someone kindly test their dragonfly on tidal exclusive mode playing hifi tracks to see if distortion happens. this will help in understanding whether the problem is specific to chord dacs. many thanks mk
Use my Dragonfly Red all the time on both Masters and 16/44.1 files without issue

Aug 15, 2017 at 2:57 AM Post #3,697 of 5,077
Is that with exclusive mode on in settings? there are no problems with exclusive mode off in tidal. distortion only happens with exclusive mode enabled and hifi 16/44 tracks? masters is unaffected either way. thanks again

Aug 15, 2017 at 3:11 AM Post #3,698 of 5,077
Is that with exclusive mode on in settings? there are no problems with exclusive mode off in tidal. distortion only happens with exclusive mode enabled and hifi 16/44 tracks? masters is unaffected either way. thanks again
Yes, I absolutely only use EXCLUSIVE mode. Otherwise, you aren't getting bit perfect output because windows mixer is affecting the audio. Question. I understand you are choosing exclusive mode in Tidal, but did you also choose to allow exclusive mode in the Windows audio settings, assuming you are using Windows here?

Aug 15, 2017 at 3:30 AM Post #3,699 of 5,077
we are using macs. and the problem seem to be affecting macs as a direct result of the latest tidal update. we know it's happening with chord dacs like my hugo 2 and i'm still doing some detective work to ascertain whether or not non chord dacs are affected. i was hoping to find a mac user here. by a process of elimination if the dragonfly works or not...........at the moment the fault looks like a mac-tidal issue and not chord dacs at all therefore dragonflies should show distortion in exclusive mode too. chord dacs are fine in exclusive mode with masters tracks on tidal and exclusive mode on in roon. tidal is the culprit.

Aug 15, 2017 at 6:48 AM Post #3,700 of 5,077
hi folks,
thinking of purchasing the dragonfly red for use with my one plus 5 and senheisser ie8s.

Questions I have are

1) What USB cable should I purchase to work with the dac?
2) Is the low volume issue playing music from spotify etc still a problem?

Thanks,
Mick

Aug 15, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #3,701 of 5,077
A friend of mine has a dragonfly red but wants more output for his 600ohm cans. would it be ok for him to get a decent headphone amp and hook this up in-line with this dac? will there be any sound quality issues since he'll be technically double amping the signal? Thank you very much :)

Aug 15, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #3,702 of 5,077
A friend of mine has a dragonfly red but wants more output for his 600ohm cans. would it be ok for him to get a decent headphone amp and hook this up in-line with this dac? will there be any sound quality issues since he'll be technically double amping the signal? Thank you very much :)

The Dragonfly Red can be used as a pre amp as well. You just turn the volume to 100% and then use your amp to adjust the main volume.

Aug 15, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #3,703 of 5,077
Hi folks,
Thinking of ordering the black tomorrow to run with my ie80s. Would I be better to save for another month and get the red?

Aug 15, 2017 at 10:25 PM Post #3,705 of 5,077
Anybody know what cable I need to get my dragonfly black to work with my Samsung s8 with a type c usb.

Hey sorry I answered this incorrectly earlier. I must have not been thinking clearly, so I hope you didn't order it. What you need is: a cable with a male usb c on one end and on the other end you want a female regular usb. And make sure it is OTG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back