New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Jul 28, 2017 at 12:11 AM Post #3,661 of 5,077
Devodonaldson, I think you're right. I like the detail of the DFR, but the brightness of it is a bit too much for my liking. So, it's great the hd650 is laid back and will even it out a bit. I'm assuming the sound will still be just as detailed?

PeteMtl, it's funny you mention that because I literally just ordered the massdrop sennheiser hd6xx about half an hour ago. I plan to use them with the DFR, so glad to hear the pairing works well. I agree it's gotta be the best bang for the buck for $400! I might use my Fiio Alpen 2 amp to warm it up a bit too, depending on how it sounds, but I don't want to lose any detail... So I'll see. Can't wait for the HD6xx but I'll have to wait until Christmas because they don't ship until then.

Totally different topic, but I've been using USB Audio Player PRO with my Dragonfly Red, and I'm not sure what I should do with the volume controls. Is it best to max the hardware volume, or the software volume? If I don't use the bitperfect setting in UAPP, will it still be bitperfect anyway because the DFR itself has bitperfect volume? Or am I losing quality when I lower any of the volumes?

Jul 28, 2017 at 12:45 AM Post #3,662 of 5,077
Devodonaldson, I think you're right. I like the detail of the DFR, but the brightness of it is a bit too much for my liking. So, it's great the hd650 is laid back and will even it out a bit. I'm assuming the sound will still be just as detailed?

PeteMtl, it's funny you mention that because I literally just ordered the massdrop sennheiser hd6xx about half an hour ago. I plan to use them with the DFR, so glad to hear the pairing works well. I agree it's gotta be the best bang for the buck for $400! I might use my Fiio Alpen 2 amp to warm it up a bit too, depending on how it sounds, but I don't want to lose any detail... So I'll see. Can't wait for the HD6xx but I'll have to wait until Christmas because they don't ship until then.

Totally different topic, but I've been using USB Audio Player PRO with my Dragonfly Red, and I'm not sure what I should do with the volume controls. Is it best to max the hardware volume, or the software volume? If I don't use the bitperfect setting in UAPP, will it still be bitperfect anyway because the DFR itself has bitperfect volume? Or am I losing quality when I lower any of the volumes?
I have found with UAPP that the bitperfect option simply just removes the equalizer options and nothing else on my Black. Volume seems unchanged to me though the Black has a different volume control than the red; maybe others have experienced something different with the Red and will chime in.

To my ears there wasn't a huge difference between the Red and Black. I ended up buying the Black with the JitterBug and not the Red model as I preferred the Black DragonFly's ever so slightly darker/softer (more mellow?) sound signature and lower volume control... it was much easier to fine tune and adjust to a lower volume than on the Red which was much, much louder due to its higher amp output. So I too did find the Red to be slightly too bright as many have commented in the thread above.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #3,663 of 5,077
As said in my previous post I'm actually very happy with the following combo:

iPhone 6s > v-moda forza metallo > DFB

Recently, I've also purchased the Noble X but what it seems here is that there's not so much difference in terms of SQ by playing the X with or without the DFB through the 6s.

Do you think guys that DFR will drive the X better than the Black?

Would you spend 100$ more?

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2017 at 11:23 PM Post #3,664 of 5,077
As said in my previous post I'm actually very happy with the following combo:

iPhone 6s > v-moda forza metallo > DFB

Recently, I've also purchased the Noble X but what it seems here is that there's not so much difference in terms of SQ by playing the X with or without the DFB through the 6s.

Do you think guys that DFR will drive the X better than the Black?

Would you spend 100$ more?

What iOS version are you using with your iPhone 6S? Do you not experience any audio dropout while using DFR plus Apple USB CCK?

Aug 5, 2017 at 2:24 AM Post #3,666 of 5,077

iPhone 6s, Sony XBA-Z5 (+ MUC-M12SM2) , AudioQuest Jitterbug, AudioQuest DragonFly Red

Are you still using this set up? What iOS version are you in right now? If on iOS 10.3.3, are you experiencing the infamous audio dropout issue? Did you not have any problem using the old version of CCK? Sorry for al lot of questions. I really am planning to buy DFR to pair with my iPhone but I am currently on iOS 10.3.3.

Thanks

Aug 6, 2017 at 8:49 PM Post #3,667 of 5,077
Any recommendations on the best headphone amp to pair with the Dragonfly Red to add more bass punch/slam?

I'm thinking a desktop amp would do it best, but portable is fine if the bass is very good. The only thing I don't love about the Dragonfly Red is there isn't enough bass slam/punch. So I'm hoping I can fix that with a good amp, hopefully under $200.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Aug 6, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #3,668 of 5,077
Any recommendations on the best headphone amp to pair with the Dragonfly Red to add more bass punch/slam?

I'm thinking a desktop amp would do it best, but portable is fine if the bass is very good. The only thing I don't love about the Dragonfly Red is there isn't enough bass slam/punch. So I'm hoping I can fix that with a good amp, hopefully under $200.

Thanks in advance for any input!

If you are a DIY/modder I would recommend the Gustard H10, if not then wouldn't recommend it as it needs mods for better reliability (mainly heat sinks for the voltage regulators). Works extremely well with the DFR in lineout mode, absolutely beautiful match between them. Very clean sounding with lots of power behind it. Want it even better than stock then you can swap out opamps. Burson V6 Classic opamps make it even cleaner and more intense - subbass will vibrate your head @ 9 o'clock knob position with TH-X00 PH. Going from the Meier JAZZ-ff to the Gustard H10 with the DFR was a big step up in detail and everything bass related at a much lower price. The Meier JAZZ-ff doesn't really sync right with the DFR, its much better paired with the Schiit Bifrost.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #3,669 of 5,077
How would i use the Digital Volume Control of the Red under Windows? My Red arrives tomorrow and i dont know how it will work out yet.

But using windows volume control would certainly not adjust the hardware digital volume control but just lower the input signal into the Red right?

Aug 8, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #3,670 of 5,077
How would i use the Digital Volume Control of the Red under Windows? My Red arrives tomorrow and i dont know how it will work out yet.

But using windows volume control would certainly not adjust the hardware digital volume control but just lower the input signal into the Red right?

If just using the DFR standalone, you adjust windows slider as needed to get your listening volume. I generally set Foobar2K gain to -10dB then adjust the DFR windows slider as needed to get my standard listening volume (generally 20% for ~75dB). Then I adjust the gain in Foobar2K as needed for any adjustments afterwards like upping level for classical tracks... Once you set the DFR windows volume you shouldn't need to touch it, use the volume in each application used to adjust sound level as needed.

If using the DFR in line out mode for outputting to another amp, set windows DFR slider to 100% volume and control sound level through the external amp.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #3,671 of 5,077
My current setup right now is JDS Ol Dac > SRM252 > L300. I am using tidal HIFI, but my Ol Dac doesn't currently support MQA. Are the dragonfly's MQA capabilities worth it? Would you suggest the 1.5 or red, I just need the DAC, not amp section. I'm asking about the dragonfly because I don't really spending much atm after dropping a metric crap ton of cash on the earspeakers (college and such) haha.

Aug 9, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #3,672 of 5,077
Hi, just upgraded my black to a red. Using S8+ over USB Audio and Audeze EL8 opens. The red sounds warmer to me with better bass extension but interestingly, if I swap the red and the black back to back at the same hardware and software volume settings, the black is louder. Any ideas why? Am I doing something wrong with my set up? Thanks.

Aug 9, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #3,673 of 5,077
Hi, just upgraded my black to a red. Using S8+ over USB Audio and Audeze EL8 opens. The red sounds warmer to me with better bass extension but interestingly, if I swap the red and the black back to back at the same hardware and software volume settings, the black is louder. Any ideas why? Am I doing something wrong with my set up? Thanks.
That's because the Black's analog volume control is nonlinear, so at lower settings it sounds louder. At max volume the Red will be louder. not sure exactly where the digital /red starts sounding louder maybe 60 or 70% I think...

Aug 9, 2017 at 10:30 PM Post #3,674 of 5,077
That's because the Black's analog volume control is nonlinear, so at lower settings it sounds louder. At max volume the Red will be louder. not sure exactly where the digital /red starts sounding louder maybe 60 or 70% I think...
Thank you. That makes sense. Any advice on whether and how to set the volume? Should I focus on hardware volume or software volume? Should one be higher at all times!

Aug 10, 2017 at 12:02 AM Post #3,675 of 5,077
Thank you. That makes sense. Any advice on whether and how to set the volume? Should I focus on hardware volume or software volume? Should one be higher at all times!
Personally, I use but perfect mode, so software volume is set to Max. I have slider set to hardware volume and use 40 volume steps for fine tuning. Even not using but perfect, that is the way to go. Max software, and control hardware volume

Users who are viewing this thread

Back