New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Jul 25, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #3,646 of 5,077
Great! Fixed - or at least I can play audio through UAPP, but not thru Spotify etc. Guess I gonna have to move to Tidal.
I use it with Tidal, Google aplay, YouTube, Netflix, etc. Have up apdated to the newest firmware through the Audioquest application on your computer? Without updated firmware, you will not receive updated volume on apps outside UAPP

Jul 25, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #3,647 of 5,077
I have Paw Gold and just purchased a pair of HD600s which are on the way. I have tried this combo and LPG drives the HD600 in high gain efficiently, really liked that but still seeking for better. Should I buy any model of the Dragonfly for my MacBook Pro in order to juice HD600s better than LPG? Anyone?

Jul 26, 2017 at 4:13 AM Post #3,648 of 5,077
I use it with Tidal, Google aplay, YouTube, Netflix, etc. Have up apdated to the newest firmware through the Audioquest application on your computer? Without updated firmware, you will not receive updated volume on apps outside UAPP
Yes, the firmware is up to date. I was trying to make it work in YT or Spotify, but unsuccessfully. Still, at least it plays FLAC files through UAPP.

I noticed weird thing - playing through my Samsung A5, the sound is noticeably warmer than when playing from my PC or notebook. I do not use any EQ. Is there some sort of setting in UAPP for this or is it just a property of my Samsung as a source?

Jul 26, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #3,649 of 5,077
... Open UAPP allow it to have control of the DFR, start playing something, go to hardware volume in settings and eaise hardware volume to about 75-80%. Press back to exit UAPP and allow the app to close. Now you should have DFR internal volume set, and ability to use Android apps,and Android volume control until the time that you disconnect DFR ...

Signed up to say thanks Devodonaldson, I've not been able to use my DFR properly with my Google Pixel until now. Thanks to your help I can use it properly with full volume. Very happy bunny :)

I have it working system wide, Spotify, Chrome, YouTube, everywhere after setting the volume to max in UAPP (didn't even need to start playing any music), exiting the app and knocking the system volume down to about half before playing anything.

So thanks again!

Jul 26, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #3,650 of 5,077
Yes, the firmware is up to date. I was trying to make it work in YT or Spotify, but unsuccessfully. Still, at least it plays FLAC files through UAPP.

I noticed weird thing - playing through my Samsung A5, the sound is noticeably warmer than when playing from my PC or notebook. I do not use any EQ. Is there some sort of setting in UAPP for this or is it just a property of my Samsung as a source?
See post #3649 That should not be the limit of your functionality. Regarding extra warmth, haven't experienced that. I also use bit perfect playback through UAPP, So no eq is available.

Jul 26, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #3,652 of 5,077
Never noticed any warmth either; bit perfect playback here as well.
Agreed. DFR is actually a bit of a bright DAC. Not as much of a bass response as I would like, but that is what an amp is for. Mids and treble are sweet, with no sibilance from the treble, and looking forward to my JDS C5 to add more to the low end

Jul 27, 2017 at 7:26 AM Post #3,653 of 5,077
Agreed. DFR is actually a bit of a bright DAC. Not as much of a bass response as I would like, but that is what an amp is for. Mids and treble are sweet, with no sibilance from the treble, and looking forward to my JDS C5 to add more to the low end

Would it not be better to add some EQ to improve the bass response? I would have thought the DFR has plenty of output power without adding an amp, unless using difficult to drive headphones.

Jul 27, 2017 at 7:37 AM Post #3,654 of 5,077
Would it not be better to add some EQ to improve the bass response? I would have thought the DFR has plenty of output power without adding an amp, unless using difficult to drive headphones.
I use my DFR with bit perfect playback, so no external eq-ing is available. On an Android device the DAC is handling audio output, so no software eq can affect the sound signature. Also, an amplifier isn't JUST about adding more power. When headphones are rated regarding their resistance. 16ohm, 32ohm, 60ohm, etc., That is at 1khz freq. Lower frequencies take significantly more power to drive, meaning that you may not receive the cleanest or most effective sub bass from your headphones if underpowered. Now with the DFR, power isn't the issue, however, the OTHER thing an amp does is change the sound signature, just like a DAC. Some amps are warmer sounding, colder, etc. The DFR is definitely a bright DAC, so you get good detail, etc. Bass is tight and articulate, but not excessively booming. A particular amp may simply produce a warmer signature and offer a more welcomed bass response, for your ears. Or, an amp may have a dedicated bass boost, raising the sub bass freq an extra few db.

Jul 27, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #3,656 of 5,077
This has probably been asked before, but does anyone out there use the Dragonfly Red with Sennheiser HD650 headphones?

If so, how well do they work together?

I have the DFR and my only headphones are V Moda Crossfade 2. I can get Sennheiser HD650 for $200 new, so I am hoping they work well with the DFR. I've heard great things about the HD650 but I haven't been able to find any opinions on how they pair with Dragonfly Red yet.

Jul 27, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #3,657 of 5,077
This has probably been asked before, but does anyone out there use the Dragonfly Red with Sennheiser HD650 headphones?

I have the DFR and my only headphones are V Moda Crossfade 2. I can get Sennheiser HD650 for $200 new, so I am hoping they work well with the DFR. I've heard great things about the HD650 but I haven't been able to find any opinions on how they pair with Dragonfly Red yet.

They sound very good with DFR.

Jul 27, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #3,658 of 5,077
Took my Dragonfly Black over to my friend's house. He plugged into his laptop with Windows 7 and Foobar, we immediately got issues. The music would pause/freeze and then continue playing. Happened twice within a minute. Removed the Dragonfly Black and went back to his other gear.

Jul 27, 2017 at 10:35 PM Post #3,659 of 5,077

As you know, the Dragonfly Red is a tad bright and very detailed. Seeing as the 650 are a little laid back, the DFR will bring that extra detail. Same result with the Nightowl/Nighthawk and the DFR, which is my preference

Jul 27, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #3,660 of 5,077
They sound very good with DFR.

I agree. Very good match. As a matter of fact, I strongly think that my Massdrop/Sennheiser HD6xx (same as HD650) 200$ + DFR 200$ cannot be beaten for 400$! (Well add 50$ for the USB3 Apple CCK for iOS souce playback...). Just my humble opinion...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back