New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
May 20, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #3,436 of 5,077
The DFB does go EXTREMELY LOUD with the I80. anything over about 40% is too loud to listen to, and at normal volumes there is not much hissing using bitperfect, but just confused as to why the DFB has some background noise and the S7 doesn't... the DFB does definitely sound better than the S7, but not sure if its normal or worth getting a replacement DFB, some other people say there is background noise with some headphones, others say it is completely silent, so I don't know.

Last edited:
May 20, 2017 at 8:30 PM Post #3,437 of 5,077
Why does the dragonfly black have more noise with IE80 than the headphone out on the galaxy S7? isn't it supposed to have a better SNR than the phone output? I am confused as to why this has background hiss / noise, its not even very bad when using bitperfect, but either way, why does the DF black, have more background noise, than the galaxy S7 headphone out, if it is supposed to be an upgrade?

I am not saying the DFB sounds bad, but why does it have more background noise / hiss... than the samsung S7 3.5mm which the DFB is supposed to be an upgrade... doesn't having more background noise mean that the DFB has a worse SNR than the S7 output? It does sound better than the S7 output, but why the hissing.

Hi, I have what may be a silly question. What are you doing to detect the hiss/background noise? I mean like : No audio playing, but volume set to max level? Or you hear the hiss at normal listening levels during blank passages between songs? Or something else ?

I'm not sure the DFB has "better Signal to noise level" than the S7. Also depends if you have exynos or snapdragon version of the S7.. But the better DAC/Amp should give better resolution/clarity of the music. Also If you're checking for hiss at max volume level, the DFB might be louder than your phone at it's max level, and this would let you hear the relatively increased "noise/hiss" with a stronger signal

I'm definitely not an expert, so you/others can correct me ! I have DFR, and low impedance IEMs and don't hear any hiss.

BUT I do hear a "ground hum" on my PC when using the DFR and a pair of Scosche (iem856md) IEMs. Those have a Microphone in them and are the only iem that has any noise with the DFR. If I touch my Laptop, (I suppose breaking the ground?), the hum goes away... Also get this with another laptop, so probably not computer specific, but some hum coming from the PC through the DFR So this hum problem is not an actual DFR issue in my mind....

May 20, 2017 at 8:53 PM Post #3,438 of 5,077
I just got the dragonfly black 1.5 and is very impressed with the sq with both my laptop and iphone. So far I haven't really notice any annoying pop and crack sound from using the standard lightning to usb camera adapter. (the usb 3 camera adaper is too big for portable use). My questions are: since the red produce more output, the regular 2.0 camera adapter will cause issues more often? Is there a large sq difference between the black and the red version as I am very happy with the black 1.5 with a westone um2. Lastly, on the audioquest website, it stated that the usb 3 camera adapter produces better sound. Is that true and how much better?

May 20, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #3,439 of 5,077
I just got the dragonfly black 1.5 and is very impressed with the sq with both my laptop and iphone. So far I haven't really notice any annoying pop and crack sound from using the standard lightning to usb camera adapter. (the usb 3 camera adaper is too big for portable use). My questions are: since the red produce more output, the regular 2.0 camera adapter will cause issues more often? Is there a large sq difference between the black and the red version as I am very happy with the black 1.5 with a westone um2. Lastly, on the audioquest website, it stated that the usb 3 camera adapter produces better sound. Is that true and how much better?

I only have the dragonfly red so I can't comment on the black, but the USB 3 camera adapter definitely sounds better than the 2. I did a back and forth for several minutes and preferred the 3 with every track I listened to.

May 21, 2017 at 1:55 AM Post #3,440 of 5,077
Hi, I have what may be a silly question. What are you doing to detect the hiss/background noise? I mean like : No audio playing, but volume set to max level? Or you hear the hiss at normal listening levels during blank passages between songs? Or something else ?

I'm not sure the DFB has "better Signal to noise level" than the S7. Also depends if you have exynos or snapdragon version of the S7.. But the better DAC/Amp should give better resolution/clarity of the music. Also If you're checking for hiss at max volume level, the DFB might be louder than your phone at it's max level, and this would let you hear the relatively increased "noise/hiss" with a stronger signal

I'm definitely not an expert, so you/others can correct me ! I have DFR, and low impedance IEMs and don't hear any hiss.

BUT I do hear a "ground hum" on my PC when using the DFR and a pair of Scosche (iem856md) IEMs. Those have a Microphone in them and are the only iem that has any noise with the DFR. If I touch my Laptop, (I suppose breaking the ground?), the hum goes away... Also get this with another laptop, so probably not computer specific, but some hum coming from the PC through the DFR So this hum problem is not an actual DFR issue in my mind....

When I plug the dragonfly into the phone, there is a moderate hissing through IE80, when UAPP connects to dac as bitperfect, the hissing is quieter, it is not a massive problem, it is just annoying as I was expecting it to be silent like I read in reviews, not sure if a replacement would be better, or if it would be the same... at low volume with music paused, there is a slight hiss noise, at higher volumes it gets louder, but still not very loud when bitperfect, when not bitperfect it is definitely louder hissing than I would expect from this product, in bitperfect it is not very bad, but it is not silent or "black" like I read in the reviews... it has more hissing than the S7 output, whic has no noise... but yes the DFB does sound better than S7 when music is playing, I would be happier with it if there was no hissing though... not sure if there is any point in getting a replacement?

Last edited:
May 21, 2017 at 4:57 AM Post #3,441 of 5,077
"Rotten" Apple had a problem in the second to last release of their update that affected the iPhone SE and its audio drivers. Two or three days ago a new update came out that fixed that issue. If you didn't update it should fix the issue. If you did update and still have the problem do a hard reset and that should fix it. I use one of my old iPhones around the house - the 5s without problems.

All the best!

Thank you for this information but nothing worked...maybe I need certificated cable

May 21, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #3,442 of 5,077
Thanks Ben,

Gave that a try and cannot terminate UAPP, when I close it directly or with Close Apps option, it continues to run in the background. So even if I launch Google Play or other services, UAPP continues to stream via USB. Other thoughts?

Well, after opening UAPP, discovering the Dragonfly, setting the in-app volume to the max, you need to close UAPP by frist closing all apps, then closing it from the notification bar - there should be an X on the right side - only after closing it from the notification tray is it really closed and is no longer using the Dragonfly in exclusive mode.

May 22, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #3,443 of 5,077
I'm enjoying Tidal's MQA files now that I've updated my Dragonfly Black. In the past I've been able to scroll through all MQA albums on my MacBook, however, as of a few days ago I am only able to scroll up to the "M's" in the alphabetical listing. Am I doing something wrong? Of course, I can still enter a given band into the search field but I'd also like to explore new music. Am I doing something wrong?

May 22, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #3,444 of 5,077
I'm enjoying Tidal's MQA files now that I've updated my Dragonfly Black. In the past I've been able to scroll through all MQA albums on my MacBook, however, as of a few days ago I am only able to scroll up to the "M's" in the alphabetical listing. Am I doing something wrong? Of course, I can still enter a given band into the search field but I'd also like to explore new music. Am I doing something wrong?
Nope. I posted a question to Tidal on this. The number of MQA titles has grown to the point that it doesn't return the entire list. They claim they are working on it. For the moment the suggestion is to search for artists, albums etc. and note whether an 'M' is displayed next to the title.

May 22, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #3,445 of 5,077
Hi.

Is anyone using the black with Neutron music player via Android OTG? When I try to play music at 44.1khz I get awful digital distortion (think Aphex Twin mash up!) over the music for about 5 seconds every couple of minutes or so. When I run at 48khz it seems better.

My phone is a P9 Lite and I have modded it to get OTG working. I need to play around with the settings on the phone and report back.

Last edited:
May 22, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #3,446 of 5,077
Hi.

Is anyone using the black with Neutron music player via Android OTG When I try to play music at 44.1khz I get awful digital distortion (think Aphex Twin mash up!) over the music for about 5 seconds every couple of minutes or so. When I run at 48khz it seems better.

My phone is a P9 Lite and I have modded it to get OTG working. I need to play around with the settings on the phone and report back.
I have the DFR and get awful distortion if I change the volume too fast.

May 23, 2017 at 2:26 AM Post #3,449 of 5,077
Not to tempt fate, but after the FW update, my DFR off a USB2 CCK doesn't seem to have that occasional faint pops and clicks problem. Ok it's been only half an hour since I started listening so who knows?

Anyway that's why I also have the USB3 CCK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back