New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
May 26, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #3,452 of 5,077

May 26, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #3,453 of 5,077

The reviewer made a BIG mistake. He calls the dragonflys decoders, on multiple occasions. Oh, how I wish that was true. Alas, the dragonflys are only renderers, otherwise, UAPP would be even more amazing, seeing as it allows MQA playback

May 27, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #3,454 of 5,077
I am trying to get my updated AQ Dragonfly Red working with Foobar on Windows. I am using the WASAPI driver and turned off all DSPs, etc. I have download MQA files from 2L and David Elias. When playing normal FLAC files the DR light changes to the correct color depending on the bit rate. When playing the FLAC MQA files the light does not change to the expected Purple color indicating MQA?

Has anyone gotten a Windows local software player working with MQA files and DR?

Thanks.

-CB

May 27, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #3,455 of 5,077
My short OTG cables used to connect my phone with the DFR keep breking (due to being bent while in and out of my pocket).
Can someone recommend a resilient short OTG cable (with right L shape micro USB connector and a female USB A connector)?

Thanks

May 27, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #3,456 of 5,077
Not available on Amazon US, but I got these after 2-3 weeks from the order date and they work wonderfully.
IMG_20170407_202012-01.jpeg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01LEX5XTE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

May 27, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #3,457 of 5,077
The reviewer made a BIG mistake. He calls the dragonflys decoders, on multiple occasions. Oh, how I wish that was true. Alas, the dragonflys are only renderers, otherwise, UAPP would be even more amazing, seeing as it allows MQA playback
He even argues with some people in the comments. It's strange because he's usually on point.

I am trying to get my updated AQ Dragonfly Red working with Foobar on Windows. I am using the WASAPI driver and turned off all DSPs, etc. I have download MQA files from 2L and David Elias. When playing normal FLAC files the DR light changes to the correct color depending on the bit rate. When playing the FLAC MQA files the light does not change to the expected Purple color indicating MQA?

Has anyone gotten a Windows local software player working with MQA files and DR?
That's because it's not a full decoder, but a renderer. AFAIK it needs to be used with an app that does the first unfolding, like Tidal.

Last edited:
May 27, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #3,458 of 5,077
So, I'm a bit confused now. What color is the drf supposed to display when properly working with Tidal MQA? Not like I'm that good with colors yo be honest. Pass through is not checked. I select a Master file, and it lights ip the same pink? As it does when playing a 96khz file?

May 27, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #3,459 of 5,077
So, I'm a bit confused now. What color is the drf supposed to display when properly working with Tidal MQA? Not like I'm that good with colors yo be honest. Pass through is not checked. I select a Master file, and it lights ip the same pink? As it does when playing a 96khz file?
MQA = Pink

May 27, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #3,460 of 5,077
FYI: Still haven't experienced any loss of sound since I moved the JitterBug to before the USB Hub in my chain :wink:

Still no sound loss hiccups since the slight change in the placement of the JitterBug in my audio signal path:

PC > AQ JitterBug > UGREEN USB Hub > AQ DragonFly Black > Headphones

May 27, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #3,461 of 5,077
It's supposed to be purple, but what it ends up looking like is a darker pink. You can see the difference if you trigger the Dragonfly with at 96 file then play a Master file in Tidal.

May 27, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #3,462 of 5,077
It's supposed to be purple, but what it ends up looking like is a darker pink. You can see the difference if you trigger the Dragonfly with at 96 file then play a Master file in Tidal.
Yeah, mine looks more bright pink than purple but definitely different than the 96 kHz light pink.

May 28, 2017 at 2:34 AM Post #3,464 of 5,077
Does this firmware update do anything other than add MQA? I just use DFB out of iPhone 7 with cck3 which is working great and feel I should leave well enough alone.

It depends what version you currently have, but if you are happy with it, then don't upgrade.

1.01 = release version
1.03 = Android volume fix (not relevant for Apple devices)
1.06 = MQA release

May 28, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #3,465 of 5,077
Hi everyone! Been doing a lot of searching and reading and have learned a LOT from this forum, so thanks for that for starters.

Now to my (i'm sure noob) question/issue. I'm using an iPhone 6 Plus with a DFR connected via the USB 3 to Camera adapter that has been most recently recommended. I read here that somewhere on here that the VLC player is one of the apps of choice for playing 96/24 flac files. So... I downloaded a copy of Beethoven's 9th in 96/24 FLAC and have been trying to play it... my DFR continues to only show green light.

Is something wrong with my setup? Do I need to use a different app?

Thanks for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back