New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
May 29, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #3,481 of 5,077
Which makes you one of the fortunate ones. Out of curiosity, what services are you running while you listen?

I've never really taken an inventory of what I run concurrently, but I've never had to turn off or disable any services to achieve better fidelity. However, the CCK 2 does give random pops and clicks, so I never use it anymore.

May 30, 2017 at 2:14 AM Post #3,482 of 5,077
I've never really taken an inventory of what I run concurrently, but I've never had to turn off or disable any services to achieve better fidelity. However, the CCK 2 does give random pops and clicks, so I never use it anymore.
I had that problem with the CCK 2 and one of the four iDevices I tested. Interestingly, for me, that problem was substantially mitigated (almost eliminated) when I moved to iOS 10.2.

May 30, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #3,483 of 5,077
Hi Guys!
I'm a newbie here and after reading the entire thread I've decided to buy a DFB.
I mainly use it with my iPhone 6s and I've found what I think it's a good combo in terms of SQ:

iPhone 6s>CCK USB 3>DFB>Forza Metallo

I listen to music 99% through Spotify and I'm also waiting to receive a pair of Noble X so my question here is if DFB will drive those iem's properly or if you suggest to evaluate also the DFR (that for what I've understood it should be considered especially when paired with headphones).
Thanks in advance & greetings from Italy :smile_phones:
Mauro

May 31, 2017 at 3:16 AM Post #3,484 of 5,077
Whelperino, I've now tried the Dragonfly v1.2. Compared to the X-Fi Go! Pro, the primary discernible differences are lack of the background fluttering and higher dynamic range. Otherwise, frequency response and dynamics are quite similar. In comparison to the Soundblaster E1, the DF v1.2 has a slightly wider sound stage and is brighter. So, pretty much DF v1.2 > X-Fi Go! Pro > Soundblaster E1.

Fiio K1 and Audioengine D3 incoming soon. I'll update once I test them.

Last edited:
May 31, 2017 at 5:01 AM Post #3,485 of 5,077
Hey guys, I have a problem with my new Red on my iPhone 7. I connect it via the Apple USB 2 Camera kit, and listening to both Spotify (320 kb) and Tidal (CD quality) gives me random crackling noises sometimes. These cracks sound like distortions and sometimes happen once per minute, sometimes three times in 10 seconds, and they are all over the stereo field at random volumes. Turning down the iPhone's volume does not help. The Red works fine on my MacBook, no issues there using Spotify / Tiday / Audirvana.

Any idea?

May 31, 2017 at 5:30 AM Post #3,486 of 5,077
Hey guys, I have a problem with my new Red on my iPhone 7. I connect it via the Apple USB 2 Camera kit, and listening to both Spotify (320 kb) and Tidal (CD quality) gives me random crackling noises sometimes. These cracks sound like distortions and sometimes happen once per minute, sometimes three times in 10 seconds, and they are all over the stereo field at random volumes. Turning down the iPhone's volume does not help. The Red works fine on my MacBook, no issues there using Spotify / Tiday / Audirvana.

Any idea?
you have to switch to CCK USB 3, I had the same issue with the old CCK

Jun 2, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #3,489 of 5,077
So is the advice if seeking to use an IPhone 6 as the source to defer buying a DAC until this issue is addressed by Apple - seems from the many threads on the IOS 10.3 threads that all comparable portable DACs are suffering in similar ways

Was about to dive in to buying a system but the issue has caused me to question the timing and make me think I should perhaps defer - what do folk think

Jun 3, 2017 at 1:23 AM Post #3,490 of 5,077
Transitioned from iphone to android / nougat and confirmed volume does not work unless an app like UAPP its installed. So no streaming apps.

Jun 3, 2017 at 4:52 AM Post #3,491 of 5,077
Transitioned from iphone to android / nougat and confirmed volume does not work unless an app like UAPP its installed. So no streaming apps.
You are correct regarding volume initially, but as it's been stated, you set volume level of DAC in UAPP, then press back to exit. As long as you don't disconnect DAC, the DAC volume will stay put for all android based apps. Used with Netflix, HBO GO, Tidal, YouTube. The fix, though not ideal, absolutely works.

Jun 3, 2017 at 6:35 AM Post #3,492 of 5,077
I have tried that work around multiple times on my Galaxy S8+ and it still doesn't work, UAPP will not terminate and continues to run in the background. Would like to know if any other S8 uses are experiencing the same behavior?

Jun 3, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #3,493 of 5,077
So is the advice if seeking to use an IPhone 6 as the source to defer buying a DAC until this issue is addressed by Apple - seems from the many threads on the IOS 10.3 threads that all comparable portable DACs are suffering in similar ways

Was about to dive in to buying a system but the issue has caused me to question the timing and make me think I should perhaps defer - what do folk think
I don't know about DACs in general but the DFB on an iPhone 7 10.3.1 with a cck3 is working real well with some Etymotic hf5s. Long train ride last week which was the first real shake down cruise with this configuration and I was very happy.

Jun 3, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #3,494 of 5,077
Has anyone tried doing a fresh restore of the latest iOS and then setting up from scratch?

I know when I received the phone I had to upgrade from 10.2.X to the last eat (at the time) 10.3.1. Just wondering if anything could have caused issues during the upgrade, specifically with iOS changing storage formats.

Jun 3, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #3,495 of 5,077
I have tried that work around multiple times on my Galaxy S8+ and it still doesn't work, UAPP will not terminate and continues to run in the background. Would like to know if any other S8 uses are experiencing the same behavior?
When you hit back, it's supposed to ask you if you want to exit. If it's not, you need to check the settings in the app and make sure it's set to ask. Make sure you play something first before you exit the app. I've done this on 5 different devices without issue, so I know it works. I use it everyday. FYI I am an s8 owner, and that is one of the devices I use it with

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back