New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Mar 2, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #2,821 of 5,077
To use the DFB with V4A I have to lock V4A to headset, this way V4A effects are applied, it doesn't work on the USB setting.

For me this only works if the DFB is running at 44100 or 48000, at anything above this V4A won't process it.

Mar 2, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #2,822 of 5,077
Thanks! I'll give that a go and report back. Without locking it it works on the "phone speaker" mode which is fine however doesn't give me nearly as many headphone options.

Mar 2, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #2,823 of 5,077
Thanks again for the help west0ne! It worked like a charm. I'm impressed how much of a difference V4A makes. I wasn't too sure about it before but this round there is a huuuuge difference. Its also the first time I've tried using the IRS profiles, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Mar 2, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #2,824 of 5,077
The Tidal desktop app received an update today and the Dragonfly Red is finally, at least for me, playing at the proper sample rates. Before the update, everything would we get upsampled to the highest sampling rate the Dragonfly was set to. Now I get green for hifi songs and either amber or magenta for the Masters. I hope this means that the AQ update will follow soon.

Mar 2, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #2,826 of 5,077
I just know that the firmware exists.

Mar 2, 2017 at 11:03 PM Post #2,827 of 5,077
Volume issues are a very real problem with the dragonflys. Too high for IEMs when you want low volume listening and too high in other situations. All that is needed is finer volume adjustments. The red's digital volume renders iOS volume limit feature useless. Audio quest give us 64 granular units of volume control and start the red and black at a very low level and we will be fine. Company reputation is taking a hit. No new products. No one is complaining about the sound. Just fix the product you have already released. It's financially better move for your company, too

Mar 3, 2017 at 5:53 AM Post #2,830 of 5,077
On the DFB I can get the light to  glow Blue just by setting the bitrate to 48000 [perhaps I'm just in a cynical mood].

48000 blue and MQA blue are different blues

Mar 3, 2017 at 8:44 AM Post #2,832 of 5,077
I keep hearing of a firmware update. "Its coming soon" To me its NOT even breathing hard yet so I am paying no attention to the "coming soon" hype. I imagine it will eventually show up. Just like the UPDATED windows 10 drivers for my Woo WA7s it probably depends on a 3rd party developer ( xmos in the Woo wa7's case) or some other 3rd party. I dont exactly fault Audioquest in this. So while I am sure most of us are frustrated I am equally sure Audioquest is frustrated as well. Patience

Mar 3, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #2,833 of 5,077
  Regarding computer volume: how come both DF1 and DFB still play sound even when laptop volume is set to zero? What do they amplify if volume is zero?

Cheers,

I noticed that too. Bear in mind that a volume control is an attenuator, and that the Windows' (assuming a PC) volume control actually controls the Dragonfly's internal attenuator. So even set at 'zero' on that slider, it means that the attenuator is at maximum attenuation; that's not the same as zero output.

Clicking the speaker icon on the volume slider does mute the output.

It does show just how loud the output from the DF into lower impedance headphones is though... I can quite clearly hear some louder tracks even at 'zero' volume.

Mar 3, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #2,834 of 5,077
Just afraid the DF firmware will take as long to come out as their Beetle DAC announced in CES 2016 a year plus ago and still on the website as coming soon. Havent seen any USB C cables from them either. Makes me wonder.

Mar 3, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #2,835 of 5,077
hey guys! 

Received my DF Black today, i am using it with Spotify Premium, (macbook pro, Sample Rate - 44100Hz, Green color) but im experiencing some kind of background static noise (or distortion, not sure) when listening to some tracks, is this happening to someone? The sound of the DFB paired with my headphones is amazing but this buzzing is annoying...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back