New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Feb 28, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #2,806 of 5,077
@AsgarD222 - I suggest you download the trial version of USB Audio Player Pro [UAPP] and make sure that you can play audio through your Dragonfly with that. It bypasses Android audio, if that works then it is definitely an issue with the Android implementation on that device. If the DFB doesn't work with UAPP then it's an issue with USB OTG on your device which I doubt if is glowing magenta, if it is glowing red then you are getting power but no data.

One other thing to try is in the Developer menu change the USB setting to USB audio and make sure the setting for USB Audio routing is set correctly (I doubt that these will work but it's worth a try before giving up).

You could always do what I've done and install a custom ROM on your old S5, strip out everything other than audio apps and use it as a dedicated DAP, with everything stripped out it is very fast and the battery lasts for a long time; if you're happy with the sound of the DFB out of the S5 it's as good as any dedicated DAP and you already own all the hardware you need so no extra outlay.

I'm already using my S5 as a DAP but it ruin the "all-in-one" quality of the DFB :p
Thank you very much for your recommandations , i'll try that for sure.

Feb 28, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #2,807 of 5,077
Hey guys! 

Just ordered a DFBlack to use mostly with a Macbook Pro/iPhone SE > Spotify Premium/some FLAC albuns that i have >Apple Earpods (kill me but i really like the sound of them :D)

Do i have to setup something special to get the best of this setup either on the macbook or the iphone? I see so many people, mostly on android phones and Windows PC's using third part programs and using codes to get the best of the DF that im getting a bit worried of not getting this thing to work properly.

Anyway, anyone using a similar setup that could give me some tips?

Feb 28, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #2,808 of 5,077
@Mike Oliveira - There is a setup guide in the box for use with Mac, it's been a while since I've used Mac but the setup looks fairly easy but you'll want the right sample rates, my son sometimes uses my DFB with his MBP and he has had no issues with it. With iPhone it should just be plug'n'play but you will obviously need the CCK. If you are playing Hi-Res music you may have to buy an app, I think my son uses the Onkyo app for Hi-Res.

Some uses have reported issues with the iPhone and recommend the newer USB 3 version of the CCK. Remember the DF isn't MFi certified.

Mar 1, 2017 at 7:52 AM Post #2,809 of 5,077
Hello forum friends,

I wanted to share my experience with original Dragonfly v1.0 (DF1) vs Dragonfly Black (DFB).

My home setup: Yamaha RX-797 + Kef R300
At work: Laptop + Ath-MSR7
Music Collection: 3/4 320 kbps, 1/4 Flac format

Main reason why I purchased DF1 was to eliminate noise/static coming from laptop audio jack as I have all my music stored on laptop, hooked up directly into receiver.

DF1 solved this issue great, plus it added some serious punch to music. However, after initial hype, upon closer inspection and hours of listening, my impression with DF1 was - "artificially" boosted highs, like listening through equalizers where you max all high frequencies. If was harsh, over the edge, in your face...But in time, I got used to it and would never come back to old way (without DF1).

Then DFB came along. To be honest, the only reason I purchased it this time, is I'm too lazy to carry DF1 to work every day, so I wanted to have 2 Dragonflys, one for home, one for office.

Sound difference
 First, let me say I'm not an audiophile, nor I have audiophile ears. I  hear no difference in 320 vs Flac, DFB out-of-the-box sounded just they way I wanted! More melodic is the correct word. While DF1 was too harsh, DFB did just fine, pronounced highs (but not over the edge), and solid bass. However with KEF R300 first impression was - where are the trebles? Years of listening via DF1 made me accustomed to it's harsh highs so DFB sounded a bit "muffled" initially. I also needed to turn up volume a bit on my receiver (from previous 10 o'clock position to 11 and half o'clock) to compensate lower output. But after a while you start to appreciate better (more melodic) output of DFB. Same was with Ath-MSR7. DF1 can be tiresome after prolong listening, while DFB is totally fine, with some nice bass kicking.

Sound-stage
Here comes a shocker - DF1 has (artificially) wider sound-stage. I tried it with various tracks and this is my solid conclusion. Highs are so up font, that mids/bass are struggling to surface. DFB on the other side has lower highs and more prominent mids/bass so they sit closer together.

Volume control (Windows laptop)
DF1 I can listen at 45-50 laptop volume (really high), and that's comparable to around 15 volume with DFB. Comfortable level with DF1 is 10-20, while with DFB 2-5 is already too much if you want to listen to music in the background while doing something else. So volume fine tune is much better on DF1. Two things I've noticed:

1. Every time I plug DFB to laptop for a split second there's a hissing/static noise,while DF1 is dead silent. Not a big deal, just an observation.

2. When I plug DF1 it would (for a sec or two) gradually increase volume, kind of "fade in" effect, while DFB goes straight to full power.

Which one I like better: I guess that greatly depends on your gear (headphones/speakers) and type of music you listen. I'm more into hard rock so DFB is better to me. Also Ath-MSR7 are on the "bright" side, so DFB is a perfect match for them. Too bad I don't have my previous Momentum over-ear v1, as they are more on the "warm" side, eg less prominent highs to compare.

Is it worth it? Well, original DF1 used to be 249 EUR, now you get DFB for 99 EUR. So yes, you get great sound for much less.
One thing I have noticed Dragontail cable is a bit longer now (the one I got with DF1 is significantly shorter). Sorry, my first post so I can't post pics yet.

Cheers,

Mar 1, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #2,810 of 5,077
Originally Posted by miki69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. Every time I plug DFB to laptop for a split second there's a hissing/static noise,while DF1 is dead silent. Not a big deal, just an observation.

I have the same issue with my DFB, while everything is ok with DF 1.2 and DF Red. Hope it will be fixed with software update.
P.S.: volume issue http://www.head-fi.org/t/816497/dragonfly-red-low-volume-issue

Mar 1, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #2,812 of 5,077
  You mean the infamous software update from Audioquest thats over a month late??

Yep - update, which is coming
deadhorse.gif

Mar 1, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #2,813 of 5,077
  Volume control (Windows laptop)
DF1 I can listen at 45-50 laptop volume (really high), and that's comparable to around 15 volume with DFB. Comfortable level with DF1 is 10-20, while with DFB 2-5 is already too much if you want to listen to music in the background while doing something else. So volume fine tune is much better on DF1.

That's similar to what I find with the Red (with its digital control rather then the Black's analog) and the NightOwls. With FLAC files I usually have to have the volume level (on Windows' own volume slider) at less than 10 (out of 100), and often 4 or 5 if it's a loud recording and I don't feel like having my ears blasted. So there are only a few steps of usable volume control.

It's my understanding that we should keep the volume level in the player software (foobar in my case) at 100% so as not to lose bits/quality. Using that volume control though is the only way to get a useful, finer range of adjustment.

Mar 1, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #2,814 of 5,077
After a whole year with these issues (android or PC) I highly doubt there will be a solution. Some weeks ago a reply of an email gave us some hope but the excuse of initial problems with MQA...again no update.

In any case, these problems/compatibility with the volume/gain/control doesn't seem a priority for Audioquest.

Mar 1, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #2,815 of 5,077
When I emailed them on February 15th they told me in regards to the volume issue: "The volume issues for most Android devices will be fixed with our new firmware. With you, I hope the new firmware will be released soon."

Mar 1, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #2,816 of 5,077

That's similar to what I find with the Red (with its digital control rather then the Black's analog) and the NightOwls. With FLAC files I usually have to have the volume level (on Windows' own volume slider) at less than 10 (out of 100), and often 4 or 5 if it's a loud recording and I don't feel like having my ears blasted. So there are only a few steps of usable volume control.

Agree. And that's what really frustrates me. Why sound has to be artificially boosted via DF? Why not normal small increments so everyone can find suitable level.

This is also one of the reasons (ironically) why I got second DF. As with my home setup (played via laptop) DF1 is set to 100% (fixed output). Can you imagine what would happen if I forget to lower setting and plug my headset in office...

One thing I don't understand: On my receiver I had to boost volume up in order to compensate lower output of DFB comparing to DF1, but on Laptop I have to lower DFB not to be as loud as DF1
confused_face_2.gif

Cheers,

Mar 1, 2017 at 9:22 PM Post #2,817 of 5,077
Hideeho The point of the higher output level is to driver headphones with high impedance. While not super hard to drive, I set my to HE400i’s 40-50% either through the iPhone or through the computer. My umpro iem’s I set WAY less, around the 10-20% for the same perceived volume. AQ set the output intentionally high to cover everyone. p.s. If the DFB is too loud for you, don’t even think about trying the DFR. It’s even louder :wink:

Mar 2, 2017 at 4:44 AM Post #2,818 of 5,077
Well, the original DF1 has 2V output, comparing to DFB's 1.2V. I can listen music in background with DF1 set to 10-20 and if I really want to enjoy music 40-50. As I said, DF1 at 45-50 is approx. same loudness of DFB at 15, and that's what really puzzles me.

Cheers,

Mar 2, 2017 at 5:21 AM Post #2,819 of 5,077
  Well, the original DF1 has 2V output, comparing to DFB's 1.2V. I can listen music in background with DF1 set to 10-20 and if I really want to enjoy music 40-50. As I said, DF1 at 45-50 is approx. same loudness of DFB at 15, and that's what really puzzles me.

Cheers,

I would add that nevetheless of voltage specs, loudness level looks like this: DF 1.0 ~= DF 1.2 = DF Red < DF Black.
DF Black smashes my NighHawks at 2-3 points of macOS sound level, while other DFs need 6-8 for it.

Mar 2, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #2,820 of 5,077
Does anyone know why Viper for Android treats the Dragonfly Red as the phone speaker (aka is active when phone speaker it turned on) and not as a USB device? Same is true when I use AudioFX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back