New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Dec 22, 2016 at 9:26 AM Post #2,281 of 5,077
I have the DFR red and use it with a pair of IE800s connected to my phone. For me the DFR Red is a very content subjective device and whether you like it, YMMV.

For myself, I found generally a fair amount of reduction in delivery of lower range bass notes in most recordings, but a slighter more defined soundstage and tighter mid range. Again, could depend on what earphones/headphones you are using.

Overall I found sticking to my phone and IE800 as is, more conducive to the music content I'm currently listening to (range of pop, jazz, r&b and modern folk).

I'm hoping that in future, the DFRs's DACs can be upgraded via software to suit varied tastes of consumers.

Dec 23, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #2,282 of 5,077
Hi, I'm looking for a DAC that I can use with an iPad. It should be used together with Fostex T50RP MK3 phones, which are really hard to drive (even harder than my 300 Ohm phones). Might the Dragonfly Red be an option for high volumes?

Note: I'm using files with ReplayGain, which are about 6 dB lower volume than usual.

Dec 23, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #2,283 of 5,077
  Hi, I'm looking for a DAC that I can use with an iPad. It should be used together with Fostex T50RP MK3 phones, which are really hard to drive (even harder than my 300 Ohm phones). Might the Dragonfly Red be an option for high volumes?

Note: I'm using files with ReplayGain, which are about 6 dB lower volume than usual.

For some reason, I find the DFR via iOS device plays back at 20-40% lower volume levels than from my Mac. Just looking at the specs, USB 2.0 provides up to 500 mA of current whereas lightning port is under 100 mA, probably closer to 50 mA. I don't own a pair of hard to drive headphones, but I think you are likely to be close to max volume on the DFR. You probably want to look at battery powered portable DACs that run on their own power.

Dec 23, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #2,284 of 5,077
I completely agree on the battery powered when using a iPhone or android. That is the reason I sold one of my dragonflies and went with the Oppo HA 2SE which powers my HD 650s and my new HD 700s without issue versus the dragonfly black. Even though the red may have a slight bit more power, the DAC and the amp combo in the Oppo is much better IMO.

Dec 24, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #2,286 of 5,077
Love to hear from someone who has experience using DFR with an IPAD and large quality headphones (not IEM).

Currently using DFR connected to my HP Laptop and driving Beyer DT880 600 ohm headphones and I have plenty of power. On the 64 step digital volume control I never get above 40 and most of the time at 34. Sounds great. Thinking of getting an IPAD Pro 9.7 and wanted to know what to expect from sound quality compared to laptop. Anyone who can help would be appreciated.

Would prefer IPAD but would get a Macbook Air if there were sound differences.

Thanks

Dec 25, 2016 at 9:40 PM Post #2,287 of 5,077
There might be a possible solution to increase volume when using DFR on the go. Simply use a usb 2.0 or 3.0 hub to connect the Apple CCK cable, power the hub with an external battery and then connect the DFR to the hub. You will know DFR is drawing current from the battery because the dragonfly sign will light up even before you connect the hub to the Apple CCK. I tested the method that way, and it does increase the DFR's volume by 20% or so comparing direct connect between DFR and Apple CCK.

Dec 25, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #2,288 of 5,077
  There might be a possible solution to increase volume when using DFR on the go. Simply use a usb 2.0 or 3.0 hub to connect the Apple CCK cable, power the hub with an external battery and then connect the DFR to the hub. You will know DFR is drawing current from the battery because the dragonfly sign will light up even before you connect the hub to the Apple CCK. I tested the method that way, and it does increase the DFR's volume by 20% or so comparing direct connect between DFR and Apple CCK.

Quite interesting.. do you perceive any change in sound quality this way?

Dec 25, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #2,289 of 5,077

Dec 25, 2016 at 9:45 PM Post #2,290 of 5,077

I believe the sound improvement is equal to computer powered DFR. IOS device is quite picky on current output. I use this method to connect my 3TB seagate external harddrive to my iphone 6 plus in order to transfer music and movies. It worked really well except you have to carry a portable battery. 

Dec 26, 2016 at 5:13 AM Post #2,291 of 5,077
Have been listening to music with DFR for about two weeks now. mainly with Shure SE215 while commuting and Fine Audio Heaven VI in the office. big improvement compared to Arcam Musicboost and (almost) on par with IBasso DX90. Big surprise yesterday when I used DFR with B&W P3. So far a bit of love and hate with P3. loved the design but sound quality wasn't really what I had hoped for. nothing special at least. DFR changed this completely. P3 sounds neutral, spacious, with crisp bass. that was probably what I had been missing. amazing what a little ' usb stick' can do!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back