New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Jun 23, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #841 of 5,077
Whether its the DAC or the amp in the Dragonfly that is 'coloring' the sound, this is a device where you really need to like what's coming out of the 3.5 output or buy something else - unless I'm missing something here, you cant run any of the Dragonfly DACs in 'amp only' mode as you can with a plethora of DAC/amps which offer analog input(s) (and/or a true line-out, for those who want to be pedantic). I think GR went to great lengths to ensure that 0dB on the DFR  results in a 2.1 volt line-level signal - whether the purists accept that its the same as the line-out on a CDP or desktop DAC is irrelevant if the sound signature of the DAC doesnt do it for you, as some in this thread have indicated.

Personally, I'm very happy with what I'm hearing from the DFB via a powered USB hub and I urge anyone who isnt immediately blown away by either of these DACs to try to get their hands on a hub before passing judgement - I'd also like to give the Jitterbug or Schiit Wyrd a shot with the DFB but that starts to eat into the (superb) VFM equation. Its probably worth mentioning that I've sold/given away all the higher end gear I owned 18 or so months ago, and I accept that the Solo2 isn't everyone's idea of an ideal headphone for gauging a component's sonic merits, but I think its a lot closer to the headphone currently gracing the earlobes of the DFB's target market than many here might care to admit  :D

Jun 24, 2016 at 12:47 AM Post #842 of 5,077
I use the DFR with an iPhone plus. Works great, sounds great. But sounds better with a Jitterbug. Same when using an Android tablet. Improves my Mojo as well. MacBook too. I hear a bigger soundstage and greater separation if instruments. Bass has cleaner edges.

Jun 24, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #843 of 5,077
Just purchased a dfr and it is amazing with my pc and ie80s. But, with my Nexus 6p, I cannot select USB audio with two different Benson approved C otg cables.

The light never comes on.

And it shipped without the cap.

Is there a comparible DAC amp that actually works with Android.

I have tried the USB audio app with no luck.

Any tips? I love the sound when it works.

Jun 24, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #844 of 5,077
I use the DFR with an iPhone plus. Works great, sounds great. But sounds better with a Jitterbug. Same when using an Android tablet. Improves my Mojo as well. MacBook too. I hear a bigger soundstage and greater separation if instruments. Bass has cleaner edges.

fab little portable setup, eh, for on the go?
(my 'eh' giving away my canuck roots :wink:

first thing in the morning: laptop to df red, dragontail and jitterbug to tidal hifi...have the trio and it makes me lazy to plug into my iFi/tube amp.

this said i'm now searching for nice desktop setup under $500 or $1k

Jun 24, 2016 at 2:04 PM Post #845 of 5,077
I was thinking the same thing. 

The upcoming elimination of the 3.5mm jack on the iPhone 7 and future Android models should create substantial interest in portable DAC units like the Dragonfly Black and Red - even among non-audiophiles.
who said it is going to disappear from Android devices also?

Guaranteed if this is correct that they will not use lightning connectors, so talk about fragmenting the market. :mad:

Jun 24, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #846 of 5,077
So far I'm loving my DFR but I made the mistake where I took it to work and used it on out shop stereo and it was amazing the difference over the stock Lg G4 I've been using. What im wanting to know is is there a good table top dac that can compare to the price vs performance of the DFR? Id prefer something cheaper but I know how good this dac is.

Jun 24, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #847 of 5,077
Just purchased a dfr and it is amazing with my pc and ie80s. But, with my Nexus 6p, I cannot select USB audio with two different Benson approved C otg cables.

The light never comes on.

And it shipped without the cap.

Is there a comparible DAC amp that actually works with Android.

I have tried the USB audio app with no luck.

Any tips? I love the sound when it works.

I do not have a Nexus 6P so, cannot test myself.
I saw somewhere that with "some" NEXUS phones it sometimes works to turn phone off(totally power it down).Then, Connect the DFR with your good OTG cable.  Then boot/turn on the phone.  Then start UAPP.   Unsure if this works,  Unsure if this (boot/start) only needs to be done once.     But with UAPP, it likes (needs?) the DAC to be connected to the phone before UAPP APP is started...    

Jun 24, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #848 of 5,077
Anyone else out there have an opinion on how the DFR compares to the basic Schiit stack (Modi + Magni)?
[Specifically when paired with something like HD600/650s].

Obviously, they differ in portability 
smile.gif
I'm wondering about the sound.

Both set-ups amount to approx the same price ($200 USD).

Jun 24, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #852 of 5,077
  from USB Host Check on my device
handheld core hardware usb host not enabled
tablet core hardware not found.
android hard usb host OK

If Dragonfly Red works on PC, but does not light up on your Android phone, this usually means that your Nexus 6P does not support USB OTG.
Not the fault of the Dragonfly Red.
I have several Android phones, half of which work, and half do not because the phones did not have USB OTG properly implemented. The ones that don't work happen to be 2 separate Huawei manufactured sets, which I gather the Nexus 6P also is.

Please see this post on another forum about the USB problem with Nexus 6P:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?s=cb014bf67322e86161b8b040149c0cbb&p=63414383&postcount=7

Jun 24, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #853 of 5,077
Anyone else out there have an opinion on how the DFR compares to the basic Schiit stack (Modi + Magni)?
[Specifically when paired with something like HD600/650s].

Obviously, they differ in portability :smile: .
I'm wondering about the sound.

Both set-ups amount to approx the same price ($200 USD).

I personally prefer the DFR though I've never used it with the HD600/650

Users who are viewing this thread

Back