New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Jun 20, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #782 of 5,077
After owning a Dragonfly Black for three weeks the only thing I would like to change is their gain, the high gain makes volume adjustments, escpecially on iOS, very tricky with my low impedance headphones. I would really like to buy a Dragonfly Red, but I'm afraid that their even higher output will make finding the perfect listening volume almost impossible for me. If they release a firmware update where we can reduce the gain I will order one immediately. For my headphones I would be happy with 30% of what it's now. 

Jun 20, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #783 of 5,077
  After owning a Dragonfly Black for three weeks the only thing I would like to change is their gain, the high gain makes volume adjustments, escpecially on iOS, very tricky with my low impedance headphones. I would really like to buy a Dragonfly Red, but I'm afraid that their even higher output will make finding the perfect listening volume almost impossible for me. If they release a firmware update where we can reduce the gain I will order one immediately. For my headphones I would be happy with 30% of what it's now. 

Can you just turn down the "master volume" a bit ?  The DFR "Flight manual" shows this on a  IOS set-up screen image...

Jun 20, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #784 of 5,077
  Can you just turn down the "master volume" a bit ?  The DFR "Flight manual" shows this on a  IOS set-up screen image...

On Mac OSX the master volume is just the sytem volume, you can control that with your keyboard in steps of 1 or 1/4 if you hold down ALT+Shift, in addition to that most apps have their own volume control, so it's not such a big problem here. However on iOS there is only one volume control, which is the system volume, it works but I can only use the first 4 bars ( of 16 ) with my easy to drive low impedance headphones before it gets too loud. 

Jun 20, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #785 of 5,077
NePlayer on the iTunes site is a download for £10.99. Yes, it's a lot for an app but it streams in highres perfectly from my WD NAS to my iPad and iPod Touch 5G, using the CCK and my DF Red. It works perfectly, and the coloured LED on the DFR shows the correct sampling rate. It's a very intuitive app IMO and is well well the money.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

I have bought the NePlayer app and I am able to access high res flac files from my NAS and my Seagate Wireless portable drive.
A great solution to my problem.

Jun 20, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #786 of 5,077
I really have to wonder if Audioquest rushed the new Dragonflys to market without doing all the necessary testing. Why else would the page for the desktop app still read 'Coming Soon' several months after their introduction ?

http://www.audioquest.com/dragonfly-app

I dont want a firmware update, but I would like to reset my DFB under Windows where the light remains red regardless of which port its in. Works fine under Linux, but how many of the DFB's target market will be running Linux alongside a WIndows install ? Between that and the gain issue on Windows, I'm inclined to ask myself if the money may have been better spent elsewhere - fortunately the sonics from a powered USB hub banish those thoughts, but this is the last time I'll buy a DAC/amp without its own external volume control (OK, I spent 18 happy months with HRT's microStreamer and it was rarely an issue, but that had much finer increments when you increased the OS volume control).

Edit: 'resetting' the DFB was a matter of inserting it into another WIndows PC - it remained red for a while but eventually did whatever handshaking is necessary to move into green and subsequently works under Win8 on my laptop.

Jun 20, 2016 at 8:18 PM Post #787 of 5,077
Using Dragonfly Black with Android N Developer Preview 4 on Nexus 6.

USB Audio Player Pro is not necessary (in fact it's not working for me).

Playing music through VLC Player and Dragonfly Black color shows up as magenta.

Received a phone call and phone audio also came thru USB audio.

Interesting.  Anyone else have similar results?

Jun 20, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #789 of 5,077
Still sorting this stuff all out, I just ordered a Magni 2 Uber to use my now HE-400i cans with my vinyl setup. (Planar 2 > Ortofon 2M Blue > Cambridge Audio Azur 640p > Magni Uber 2 > HE-400i)

But now that I'll have a Magni, im curious about using the DF Red as a DAC into the Magni on a desktop setup. Anyone doing this? What system sound level (MacBook Pro) do you run the DF at to achieve a line level type input into another amp? Do I have to worry about double amping?

If this setup goes well, I could see myself getting a Vali 2 Tube for Vinyl, DF Red>Magni for desktop and DF Red alone for iPad and iPhone mobile etc.

Jun 20, 2016 at 9:47 PM Post #790 of 5,077
Still sorting this stuff all out, I just ordered a Magni 2 Uber to use my now HE-400i cans with my vinyl setup. (Planar 2 > Ortofon 2M Blue > Cambridge Audio Azur 640p > Magni Uber 2 > HE-400i)

But now that I'll have a Magni, im curious about using the DF Red as a DAC into the Magni on a desktop setup. Anyone doing this? What system sound level (MacBook Pro) do you run the DF at to achieve a line level type input into another amp? Do I have to worry about double amping?

If this setup goes well, I could see myself getting a Vali 2 Tube for Vinyl, DF Red>Magni for desktop and DF Red alone for iPad and iPhone mobile etc.

I'd go max volume if using it as a DAC; 2.1 volts is a very normal line level out for a DAC.

Jun 20, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #791 of 5,077
  Using Dragonfly Black with Android N Developer Preview 4 on Nexus 6.

USB Audio Player Pro is not necessary (in fact it's not working for me).

Playing music through VLC Player and Dragonfly Black color shows up as magenta.

Received a phone call and phone audio also came thru USB audio.

Interesting.  Anyone else have similar results?

that is very interesting.

would you share your experience with other apps (streaming or players), regarding the volume "issues". if they are lessend or gone, im totally installing 

Jun 20, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #792 of 5,077
I've used DFR with the original Magni, I just set  the level at max in the software and adjusted volume on the amp,  worked great and spanked my regular desktop DAC.( Original Dacmagic)

Jun 21, 2016 at 3:24 AM Post #793 of 5,077
I have been using DFB for the past 30 days. I really like the amplifier portion of this DAC as It is able to drive all of my headphones (T50RP MK3, Polk Buckle). But  I am really disappointed with this DAC. I compared with my Original Dacmagic and DFB sounded lifeless :frowning2:   I had DF 1.2 for sometime and DF 1.2 sounded the same. It was very analytical and I felt like It was just amplifying the the sound. Has anyone compared this with Fiio W10k ?

Jun 21, 2016 at 8:29 AM Post #794 of 5,077

I'm contemplating something similar:  

Purchasing the DFR and the Schiit Magni 2.
  1. Using the DFR (as a DAC) + the Magni 2 as my desktop set-up.
  2. Using the DFR + iPhone for mobile use.

This would save me $99.00 on not having to purchase the Modi 2.

Can anyone chime-in here on the Modi vs the DFR (as a DAC)?
Any reasons why the above desktop set-up wouldn't be a good option?

Jun 21, 2016 at 8:35 AM Post #795 of 5,077
I'm contemplating something similar:  

Purchasing the DFR and the Schiit Magni 2.
  • Using the DFR (as a DAC) + the Magni 2 as my desktop set-up.
  • Using the DFR + iPhone for mobile use.

This would save me $99.00 on not having to purchase the Modi 2.

Can anyone chime-in here on the Modi vs the DFR (as a DAC)?
Any reasons why the above desktop set-up wouldn't be a good option?

I'm not a big fan of the modi and I think the DFR sounds better than the Modi to being with. However the modi has one advantage when paired with the Magni: RCA to RCA interconnects are generally better than 3.5mm to RCA. Not the biggest deal in the world, but something to consider.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back