New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Jun 10, 2016 at 7:59 AM Post #586 of 5,077

Unless you're maintaining a profile for social networking, it's not going to be particularly enlightening. I briefly considered last.fm, but felt that my some of the extreme metal in my collection might put others on the back foot  :wink:

http://www.netlingo.com/word/scrobble.php

@stuck limo, I expect that you'll have more luck in the dedicated TIDAL thread, but if you're using the service via the web interface you may be in luck:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/lastfm-scrobbler/hhinaapppaileiechjoiifaancjggfjm

https://support.tidal.com/hc/en-us/articles/202162111-System-Requirements-for-HiFi-using-the-Web-Player-

It appears it does but apparently a year ago there were issues with it logging out of the Last FM profile or dropping halfway through the scrobbling/listening session. I was more interested in how it works through the app, since it looks like UAPP is my only option for using a Dragonfly on my S7.

Jun 10, 2016 at 10:18 AM Post #587 of 5,077
I've drawn my conclusion on the dragonfly red, and it won't be liked...

More to come...

Jun 10, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #588 of 5,077
I've drawn my conclusion on the dragonfly red, and it won't be liked...

More to come...

Hopefully because it's going to convince people that they need to race out and spend $200 on one? 
L3000.gif

I know, I'm too naive...

-Collin-

Jun 10, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #589 of 5,077
Hopefully because it's going to convince people that they need to race out and spend $200 on one? :L3000:

I know, I'm too naive...

-Collin-
OK, you've called me out...

Yes, you're quite correct, this little chunk of USB goodness is quite simply stellar, it beats more expensive rivals (mentioning no names to protect the innocent) by its diminutive size, it's power, it's oh so small battery consumption, it's lack of RF issues, and finally - most importantly, it's musicality.

This little gizmo is like a diamond in the rough.

All isn't perfect though, for those who crave high res, obviously it doesn't go above 24/96 (not that you'd notice that particularly, it is very resolving), and the stencilling on the body, I hadn't even had mine for a week and the "Y" of dragonfly had flaked off, but I guess you cannot win them all.

For its price, the level of detail, and the musicality it offers definitely make it a 9.5 out of 10 product in my mind. Mr Rankin, you sir, are a master of your craft!!

Jun 10, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #590 of 5,077
ive just ordered a the dragontail and jitterbug, yesterday, too.

and when you come across gems like the df red you want to do this below...dance and tap your toes
(and no I am no justin timberlake fan...but came across it on my tidal top 100 videos
....fun video..have a watch...reminds me of michael jackson's 'black or white')...very celebratory!
and in the end isn't this what we all want from our devices/sources...to get great sound that can move us? 
atsmile.gif

enjoy....

Quote:

Jun 10, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #591 of 5,077
I have the Black and really appriciate its sound quality with my s7e and se846 IEMs.
A freind of mine who listened to it would like to purchase one as well. He has the s7e european as well as the se846.
Is there a significant or noticable  sound quality difference between the Red and the Black running over the setup above?

Thanks.

Jun 10, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #592 of 5,077
OK, you've called me out...

Yes, you're quite correct, this little chunk of USB goodness is quite simply stellar, it beats more expensive rivals (mentioning no names to protect the innocent) by its diminutive size, it's power, it's oh so small battery consumption, it's lack of RF issues, and finally - most importantly, it's musicality.

This little gizmo is like a diamond in the rough.

All isn't perfect though, for those who crave high res, obviously it doesn't go above 24/96 (not that you'd notice that particularly, it is very resolving), and the stencilling on the body, I hadn't even had mine for a week and the "Y" of dragonfly had flaked off, but I guess you cannot win them all.

For its price, the level of detail, and the musicality it offers definitely make it a 9.5 out of 10 product in my mind. Mr Rankin, you sir, are a master of your craft!!

I fully agree with your assessment. The crummy part for me is that this little awesome gem makes my HA-2 and E18 feel like big outdated bricks from 1974. Like, why on earth would I ever carry them around again?

It's also worth noting that after a few days, I notice almost zero battery drain on the phone. Yes, it does have to get its power from the phone, but the battery life on the international S7 is so good that I haven't noticed it at all. Add to that wireless charging and quick charging, and this little combo is a real road warrior. So glad I happened upon it. 

Best, 

-Collin-

Jun 10, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #593 of 5,077

I fully agree with your assessment. The crummy part for me is that this little awesome gem makes my HA-2 and E18 feel like big outdated bricks from 1974. Like, why on earth would I ever carry them around again?

It's also worth noting that after a few days, I notice almost zero battery drain on the phone. Yes, it does have to get its power from the phone, but the battery life on the international S7 is so good that I haven't noticed it at all. Add to that wireless charging and quick charging, and this little combo is a real road warrior. So glad I happened upon it. 

Best, 

-Collin-

I had the HA-2 immediately prior to the Red. HA-2 was "fine" but I kept realizing I wanted more for the price I paid.

Then Red came out.

And after a few listens I realized I actually had BETTER sound (to my ears at least -- better bass and less harsh treble)...more portability...less hassle regarding battery/charging...the ability to upgrade firmware...and all for $100 less. A month later, and I still have to pinch myself.

Jun 10, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #594 of 5,077
I will say that imo the little DF sounds a little cold / brittle out of the box, but - give it a week, and its soul will shine through...

Be a little patient and it'll reward you :)

Jun 10, 2016 at 7:46 PM Post #595 of 5,077
I will say that imo the little DF sounds a little cold / brittle out of the box, but - give it a week, and its soul will shine through...

Be a little patient and it'll reward you
smily_headphones1.gif

I totally can second this. I am relatively inexperienced testing Hi-Fi equipment etc. but I have been around media gear for as long as I can remember. I was happy with the sound but it seemed to have a certain crispness when I auditioned the Red and even when I brought it home I just assumed that is how it was. After a week now of steady listening it has rounded out its edges and is brilliant.

Love it.

Jun 10, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #596 of 5,077
I'm not sure that this descriptor makes sense to anyone else (or even is an legit way to describe it)...but I've found that once Red is "warmed up" after several days/hours/a week of playing, that it seriously comes across as this: effortless.

It's almost like an elite athlete, who makes the game seem so easy and slow in comparison to everyone else in the game. The separation and musicality and fun all seems to come together.

(and for the record, "effortless" is the same descriptor I found myself using when listening to Mojo)

Jun 10, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #597 of 5,077
  I'm not sure that this descriptor makes sense to anyone else (or even is an legit way to describe it)...but I've found that once Red is "warmed up" after several days/hours/a week of playing, that it seriously comes across as this: effortless.

It's almost like an elite athlete, who makes the game seem so easy and slow in comparison to everyone else in the game. The separation and musicality and fun all seems to come together.

(and for the record, "effortless" is the same descriptor I found myself using when listening to Mojo)

And that's precisely the adjective that even the pro reviewers are usually forced to resort to when describing an exceptional component, be it analog or digital.

I dont want to add to the hype for a product I havent heard yet (mine is on it's way, but I live in the Australian equivalent of Fairbanks, Alaska ..). Even if the Black isnt in the same class as the Red, the existing reviews of the 1.0 and 1.2 conspired to drag my credit card from my wallet (Darko's rave reviews of the new offerings also played their part). I still have very fond memories of HRT's microStreamer and I know its not the size of the DAC that matters  :D

Apropos of nothing I've read thus far, although AQ dont explicitly support the DF Black on Linux, I'm cautiously confident that it will 'just work' on MATE, but I'm not overly concerned if it doesnt. More in the fullness of time. 

Jun 10, 2016 at 10:46 PM Post #598 of 5,077
@estreeter -- You'll be happy. One of my favorite albums on the new DF Red is Devils & Dust, especially "Reno" 
cool.gif

Jun 11, 2016 at 12:11 AM Post #599 of 5,077

I totally can second this. I am relatively inexperienced testing Hi-Fi equipment etc. but I have been around media gear for as long as I can remember. I was happy with the sound but it seemed to have a certain crispness when I auditioned the Red and even when I brought it home I just assumed that is how it was. After a week now of steady listening it has rounded out its edges and is brilliant.

Love it.

yes Audioquest even says to 'burn it in' for 24 hrs:

http://www.audioquest.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Phase-Noise-Jitter-Report-0317-14.pdf

Is it better to leave DragonFly constantly plugged in, or should I unplug it when it’s not in use?

It is completely safe to leave DragonFly plugged in at all times. We hope that you will always want it connected to your music playback device!
While repeatedly plugging and unplugging DragonFly will not affect its lifespan or reliability,
all DACs measure and sound better after being left on for at least 24 hours.
For more information on how DACs are effected by a warm-up period, please see below.
http://www.audioquest.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Phase-Noise-Jitter-Report-0317-14.pdf
For the purposes of providing valid measurements, a DragonFly DAC was used on a Symetricon Phase Noise Test Device. 
The Symetricon is one of, if not the most, accurate pieces of test equipment. Tests were run at the following increments: • Cold/“Zero Minute” (as soon as the DAC was plugged in) • 15 minutes after plug-in • 1 hour after plug-in • 24 hours after plug-in Cold — At startup, we see at 1Hz, a dBc (decibels relative to the carrier signal) of -73. However, notice the spike from 6Hz to 11Hz. There is a significant rise in phase noise within this range. Also notice how ragged the response is from 1Hz to 100Hz. This volatility will have effects on the DAC chip’s ability to recreate an accurate waveform. Jitter is measured at 3.7pSeconds.
15 Minutes — Here we begin to see a slight drop in noise at 1Hz (-.8dBc), as well as a reduction of the cold-related spike (6Hz to 11Hz). Things appear as though they’re about to begin tracking nicely. Jitter is measured at 1.4pSeconds.
1 Hour — We begin to see the settling process occur. The measured performance takes a significant turn for the worse. At 1Hz, phase noise has risen by 11dBc. However, the good news is that the initial spike from 6 to 11Hz has not returned. But overall, we are seeing a much noisier signal. Additionally, notice that the response is more ragged than it was when tested in the 15-minute range. This will have a very negative impact on the DAC’s ability to output an accurate (and pleasant) musical signal. Jitter has risen significantly to 5.7pSeconds.
24 Hours — At this point and beyond, the DAC appears to have reached a stasis. Notice that the response is now very stable, that there is a smooth line from 1Hz all the way out to 1kHz. At its greatest point, the delta in phase noise has improved by 17.2dBc over the initial cold test. We can now begin to critically listen to this DAC, confident that our findings will be accurate and illuminating. Jitter is dropped and settled at an astonishingly low level of 0.85pSeconds. Audio-based jitter is most accurately measured from 1Hz to 100Hz range. This is where averaging cannot correct or hide errors as easily as it does at say 1KHz. Ironically, most published jitter measurements are given at this frequency range. How does a high level of phase noise affect our music? While it’s hard to draw a simple conclusion that will apply to all DACs, it’s absolutely clear that higher levels of phase noise create higher levels of jitter. And higher levels of jitter correlate to poor sound; the more jitter, the worse the sound. If you’re auditioning a new DAC – whether for personal purchase, store merchandise, or critical review – be patient and give that contestant a day to warm up, so that it can truly strut its stuff. 

Jun 11, 2016 at 8:50 AM Post #600 of 5,077
From the update notes of USB Audio Player Pro version 2.6.5/2.6.6

"The app now also functions as UPnP media renderer: you can select UAPP as renderer in UPnP control apps like BubbleUPnP and enjoy the interface of the other app while still enjoying the audio quality of UAPP! It also allows UAPP to be remote controlled and use services like Qobuz and Google Music when used in combination with BubbleUPnP."

Edit:
-Played around with BubbleUPnP using UAPP as renderer and Google Play Music as my cloud. Works perfectly!
-The best way to use volume control is to put Android native volume to full and then set your desired level through the BubbleUPnP app which goes from 0-100 volume steps. You can also open UAPP and use the software volume slider to fine tune, but I don't find it necessary.
-With the screen off, the volume control will default to Android's native 15 steps and depending on how high your volume is set the volume between each step will be quite dramatic. Best to set your volume while in app.
-Interface is a little clunky, but easy to figure out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back