New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Jun 4, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #511 of 5,077
also for Tidal users with IOS and wanting an EQ function
.seems that the UAPP app doesn't work with IOS
...only for android...no ios version.

reply from UAPP app tech support....seems only for android, no ios version.

Code:
[color=rgb(68, 68, 68)] Dear customer, Thank you for contacting us. Our app only works on Android and supports Tidal. And yes, we have a 10-band EQ. Kind regards, Davy eXtream Software Development [color=rgb(0, 104, 207)][url=http://www.extreamsd.com/]http://www.extreamsd.com[/url][/color][/color]

but there is a Sennheiser EQ app out for those on IOS and using Tidal called 'captune'
 and you can get it from the apple app store for free:
https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/captune/id967958634?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D4

more info on the sennheiser captune app via google search.

http://en-us.sennheiser.com/captune-headphone-sound-app

https://www.google.ca/search?q=sennheiser+captune&oq=sennheiser+captune&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l3.4273j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

http://routenote.com/blog/sennheiser-launch-new-music-app-with-jay-zs-tidal/

gets some getting used to, however.

Jun 4, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #512 of 5,077
Steve Guttenberg/CNET finally got around to the new DragonFly bad boys:

---
"Comparing an original DragonFly with the DragonFly Black plugged into my Mac Mini computer and listening through NAD Viso HP50 and also Audio Technica ATH M50x over-the-ear headphones, the Black had a richer, more satisfying tonal balance, overall clarity was much improved, the original DragonFly sounded a little congested by comparison. Switching to the superb Audeze Sine on-ear headphones, the differences between the original DragonFly and DragonFly Black were even more clear-cut, and deep bass articulation and oomph were better on the Black. Stepping up to the DragonFly Red took the sound to the next level. The Sine's bass is stunning -- deep, tuneful and precise -- and the DragonFly Red lets you hear how good the Sine can be. 

Then I put the DragonFlys aside and popped in the Apogee Groove ($295, £250, AU$459) USB converter/headphone amp, and frankly it was a letdown. The Groove was one of my favorites last year, but the Red smoked it! The Groove was nowhere as clear/transparent as the DragonFly Red with the Sines. The Red is more nimble -- you feel the music move, and rhythms are more agile with the Red, while the Groove took the energy down a peg or two."

---

Jun 5, 2016 at 7:24 AM Post #513 of 5,077
Hi,
i got my DragonFly 1.5 black one week ago. I'm using it with Grado PS500E.
Before getting the DragonFly i was running the PS500E with an FIIO E7, with the standard Realtek HD output of my Asus laptop or from my HTC One ME using Neutron. Most of the listening i did with the dragonfly 1.5 was with Mahler's symphonies directed by Pierre Boulez in Lossless flacs. http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/DG/4779528
It's an experience to listen to this wonderful orchestral music with the Grado PS500e.
I bought the Dragonfly 1.5 hoping to get an improvement over my previous gear. 
Unfortunately i perceive Dragonfly output Blurry, less brilliant, less texture in lows and mids, spatially less defined as all other outputs i was used to.
I know how relevant it is to be used to the already owned gear. However, if one decides to look for an improvement it means there is a rough idea about how it could be. I was looking for slightly more sound stage and layering.

Jun 5, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #516 of 5,077
Unless you like a ton of detail and a forward signature I'd say the Black would do you well.

I am not sure what I like yet this is my first pair of high end headphones... guess I will figure it out soon though.

I picked up the RED this afternoon, been listening for about an hour or two back and forth between a laptop and iPhone. I seem to like the overall tone and sound quality.

First couple negatives:

- I can't turn the volume up full on either device without significant distortion is this normal? It sounds fine @ <90~ percent...

- I both on iPhone and Macbook Pro (iTunes) am noticing a ton of clicks and pops like vinyl pops but with a bit of a metallic tone to them. Surely this isn't normal? 

Jun 5, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #517 of 5,077
Assuming you have your Sound Preferences/Output set to your Dragonfly...and the Player Volume set to max (be it iTunes, or Roon, or Audirvana, or whatever you're using)...then the "computer key" volume shouldn't be anywhere near max --- when I play in Roon I'm at at like 30 - 40% and it's pleeeenty loud.

And correct, metallic clicks and pops is definitely not right. I'm not sure what's going on -- sounds like you're 100% Apple, and these play very, very nice with Apple (it's all I have with my Red).

Jun 5, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #518 of 5,077
Assuming you have your Sound Preferences/Output set to your Dragonfly...and the Player Volume set to max (be it iTunes, or Roon, or Audirvana, or whatever you're using)...then the "computer key" volume shouldn't be anywhere near max --- when I play in Roon I'm at at like 30 - 40% and it's pleeeenty loud.

And correct, metallic clicks and pops is definitely not right. I'm not sure what's going on -- sounds like you're 100% Apple, and these play very, very nice with Apple (it's all I have with my Red).

I have player volume max on MacBook and I have to run volume around 80% to sound "loud." That's strange. On iPhone I have to run it "one click" from full to be very loud. And "two clicks" from full to be comfortable.

The clicks are all over the place hmm wonder if it's the usb adaptor or the dragonfly having an issue?

Jun 5, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #519 of 5,077
Must be - I've never heard of or experienced anything like that. Especially on Apple. Again, on both my Macbook Air and when I try it on my iPhone, I'm at 40% tops.

Hopefully you get it figured out so can get the real flavor of the little thing.

Jun 6, 2016 at 4:30 AM Post #520 of 5,077
Received my Dragonfly Black about two weeks ago, really happy with the sound compared to the headphone amp of the iMac, can't wait to try it with my iPad ( the new headphone out on the iPad Pro 9.7 is much worse than on older generations BTW ), but I'll have to order the Apple Camera Connection kit first. I currently have 3 headphones V-Moda M80, Sennheiser HD595 and a Grado SR80, both the M80 and HD595 work fine although I do have to keep the system volume quite low. I was amazed how much better the V-Moda's sounded, I've never heard them sound this good, so even though the Dragonfly was intented to be used with my iMac only, I can't go back the to built-in port on my iPad anymore after hearing how good it can sound. I also bought a Jitterbug but need to do more testing to see if I like the sound better with or without it, but it's obvious that the Jitterbug changes the sound...

The Grado SR80 on the other hand sounds terrible in combination with the Dragonfly, lots of hiss, pops and clicks, really unlistenable. Anyone know why ? I tried to connect the Dragonfly to a Jitterbug to see if this was something the jitterbug could help with, but it didn't change anything. The Grado sounds fine on my iPod touch's headphone port. Is it the low impedance of the Grado ?

I'm thinking about buying a new headphone either the Sennheiser HD600 or the Hifiman HE-400S, is the Dragonfly Black powerfull enough for the HD600, is the Red powerfull enough ? Will the low impedance of the HE-400S cause problems ? 

Jun 6, 2016 at 4:43 AM Post #521 of 5,077
Think i have to get it 'out of my system' and am going to try the mojo...this way i can finally compare the df red and my iFi rig (micro idsd, mercury cable and newest ipurifier2)....might even sell or trade my iFi rig for the one trick pony mojo....we'll see.

Jun 6, 2016 at 4:59 AM Post #522 of 5,077
Received my Dragonfly Black about two weeks ago, really happy with the sound compared to the headphone amp of the iMac, can't wait to try it with my iPad ( the new headphone out on the iPad Pro 9.7 is much worse than on older generations BTW ), but I'll have to order the Apple Camera Connection kit first. I currently have 3 headphones V-Moda M80, Sennheiser HD595 and a Grado SR80, both the M80 and HD595 work fine although I do have to keep the system volume quite low. I was amazed how much better the V-Moda's sounded, I've never heard them sound this good, so even though the Dragonfly was intented to be used with my iMac only, I can't go back the built-in port on my iPad anymore after hearing how good it can sound. I also bought a Jitterbug but need to do more testing to see if I like the sound better with or without it, but it's obvious it changes the sound...

The Grado SR80 sounds terrible out of the Dragonfly, lots of pops and clicks, really unlistenable. Anyone know why ? I tried to connect the Dragonfly to a Jitterbug to see if this was something the jitterbug could help with, but it didn't change anything. The Grado sounds fine on my iPod touch's headphone port. Is is the low impedance of the Grado ? I'm think about buying a new headphone either the Sennheiser HD600 or the Hifiman HE-400S, is the Dragonfly Black powerfull enough for the HD600, is the Red powerfull enough ? Will the low impedance of the HE-400S cause problems ? 

To my knowledge the M-80 is 28.5 ohms impedance while the SR80 is 32 ohms. I use my Red with the DN-2000J IEMs, which are only 8 ohms and have no issues.

Jun 6, 2016 at 6:54 AM Post #523 of 5,077
  Steve Guttenberg/CNET finally got around to the new DragonFly bad boys:

---
"Comparing an original DragonFly with the DragonFly Black plugged into my Mac Mini computer and listening through NAD Viso HP50 and also Audio Technica ATH M50x over-the-ear headphones, the Black had a richer, more satisfying tonal balance, overall clarity was much improved, the original DragonFly sounded a little congested by comparison. Switching to the superb Audeze Sine on-ear headphones, the differences between the original DragonFly and DragonFly Black were even more clear-cut, and deep bass articulation and oomph were better on the Black. Stepping up to the DragonFly Red took the sound to the next level. The Sine's bass is stunning -- deep, tuneful and precise -- and the DragonFly Red lets you hear how good the Sine can be. 

Then I put the DragonFlys aside and popped in the Apogee Groove ($295, £250, AU$459) USB converter/headphone amp, and frankly it was a letdown. The Groove was one of my favorites last year, but the Red smoked it! The Groove was nowhere as clear/transparent as the DragonFly Red with the Sines. The Red is more nimble -- you feel the music move, and rhythms are more agile with the Red, while the Groove took the energy down a peg or two."

---

OMG.
i think the red and the sine combo will be my next project. :)
maybe gotta sell the mojo and x3ii now and go with this :)

Jun 6, 2016 at 7:58 AM Post #525 of 5,077
I have player volume max on MacBook and I have to run volume around 80% to sound "loud." That's strange. On iPhone I have to run it "one click" from full to be very loud. And "two clicks" from full to be comfortable.

The clicks are all over the place hmm wonder if it's the usb adaptor or the dragonfly having an issue?

Must be - I've never heard of or experienced anything like that. Especially on Apple. Again, on both my Macbook Air and when I try it on my iPhone, I'm at 40% tops.

Hopefully you get it figured out so can get the real flavor of the little thing.

So after some further testing the clicks and pops only seem to occur on my iPhone 6s, no issues on the new iPad Pro 9.7 or the Macbook Pro. I also tested it with my GF's iPhone 4s and there were no click and pops.  The weirdest thing is that the clicks seem to increase dramatically when the screen goes to sleep on the iPhone 6s.

I do have to turn volume up to 75-85% on all these devices to really push the headphones but I am driving the HiFiMan 400i so they could just need more power than some others...

EDIT: I am doing a erase and restore on the iPhone to see if that fixes the issue but it really seems to be a problem with this specific device not the Dragonfly or iOS as a whole.

EDIT 2: YES! Erase and Restore seems to have fixed the clicks and pops!

EDIT 3: Welp spoke too soon still there just need to get my hopes up before it cropped up again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back