New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
May 6, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #136 of 5,077

I saw a review on Amazon and the person said that he's using the Red with his iPod Touch.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R1OIQ7Q1QPLXRP/ref=cm_cr_getr_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B01DFMV4NQ

Maybe Apple is not supporting the new cable with the iPod Touch for the storage features but it seems to work for streaming audio.

I've ordered the new cable, so I'll have a try with that first. Got 30 days to ship it back anyway.

I saw a thread on apple.com from march 1st this year that this new cable you refer to isn't supported on the Ipods, but theres been firmware upgrades since then on the iOS.

May 6, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #137 of 5,077
Now tested the Red with an very cheap Chinese Android Phone, Doogee X5 Pro, Android 5.1.1.

Spotify working immediately, but volume too soft despite setting it to maximum. Also, lots of of crackles and interruptions on the music.

The only joy I have is with Windows 10 PC, the Red works very smoothly and enjoyably with everything that I've thrown at it.

Conclusion: Don't buy the Red unless you have tested it fully and confirmed compatibility with your Android device.

May 6, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #138 of 5,077
  I've got the Dragonfly Black and Red as a trial. So far i've just played around with the Black & Red on my Macbook Pro... 
First impression isn't that positive. Actually it sounds worse then directly to my Macbook Pro. 
A few things i've noticed so far with the BLACK:
- The sound is more full, more bassy, but also more muddy an not as detailed as the MBP. It sounds more as a equalizer setting than a big DAC improvement.
- The background noise the MBP gives a bit is gone, so that's positive. 

With the RED:
- The placement of sound is different. More up forward and "live like" i guess. Sound is weirdly more focused on the right, not the center. 
- Sound is more neutral and less bassy, but not better then the MBP which has more clarity and balance. Although here the background noise is gone too, so that's good. 
Both still feel quite out of balance and not an improvement. It may need just more run-in time...

Well, to be honest, same experience with the Red here.

I'm quite disappointed. Lots of hype over months, the sound was promised to improve enormously over 1.2. I used to hear with dragonfly 1.2 and AQ jitter bug on PC and could not wait for the new Red to appear. Well the difference is, the Red has more power, is louder, at he same time a bit darker, more veiled. Everything seems to be out of balance, no details, no separation of instruments. The new dragonflies were invented to work with mobile phones imho, that's the hole thing. Users with pc were promised a sound improvement over 1.2 at the same time which I cannot confirm at all and is only a marketing statement. I'm using AKG K-702 headphones, quite a precise and resolving machine. Hearing flac files with JRiver on PC with WASAPI, all settings optimized. Music is no longer flowing somehow. Heard the ifi micro idsd which is a LARGE step forward. The red is a step back to me.

Burning in is never a solution in my experience if a gear doesn't sound good within the first seconds which the Dragonfly 1.2 did! Although there is a certain improvement with burning in a gear, it doesn't turn a bad soundig device into a good sounding device. 

I will return it.
confused_face.gif

Greets GerMan

May 6, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #139 of 5,077
This thread is only 10 pages, and we've already heard that the new Dragonflies turn water to wine...that they suck...that Red runs circles around Black...that Black is best...that separation is amazing...that there is no separation...that it's bright...that it's dark...and everything in between.

So in other words, par for the course for new audio gear.

:)

May 6, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #140 of 5,077

I've ordered the new cable, so I'll have a try with that first. Got 30 days to ship it back anyway.

I saw a thread on apple.com from march 1st this year that this new cable you refer to isn't supported on the Ipods, but theres been firmware upgrades since then on the iOS.

Cool, let us know if it's working 
wink.gif

May 6, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #141 of 5,077
This thread is only 10 pages, and we've already heard that the new Dragonflies turn water to wine...that they suck...that Red runs circles around Black...that Black is best...that separation is amazing...that there is no separation...that it's bright...that it's dark...and everything in between.

So in other words, par for the course for new audio gear.

:)

Seems about average for any thread I read on here haha

May 6, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #142 of 5,077
TO: Drykoke, and others trying to use an android based phone, (higher than 4.0 version) you might want to try the free version of USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP) and see if that works for your external DAC. If the free version works (Limited run time and number of songs, but you can shut down and re-start unlimited number of times); The PRO version is only $8....

Tried this with an OPPO 7a and different DAC and it worked great! Audioquest Dragonfly is listed as Supported by UAPP.

Almost all users of UAPP say the sound is great; and they say that volume is strong with the Red Dragonfly. (Not weak as with some other players on Android)

Search for USB Audio Player Pro and you should get a Google Play page where you can download either the free version (quarter-way down the "expanded info" page)

Would expect even a cheap phone it work with UAPP and a supported DAC.

I have no association with this Software. Just passing on something to try out...

May 6, 2016 at 7:48 PM Post #143 of 5,077

Well, to be honest, same experience with the Red here.

I'm quite disappointed. Lots of hype over months, the sound was promised to improve enormously over 1.2. I used to hear with dragonfly 1.2 and AQ jitter bug on PC and could not wait for the new Red to appear. Well the difference is, the Red has more power, is louder, at he same time a bit darker, more veiled. Everything seems to be out of balance, no details, no separation of instruments. The new dragonflies were invented to work with mobile phones imho, that's the hole thing. Users with pc were promised a sound improvement over 1.2 at the same time which I cannot confirm at all and is only a marketing statement. I'm using AKG K-702 headphones, quite a precise and resolving machine. Hearing flac files with JRiver on PC with WASAPI, all settings optimized. Music is no longer flowing somehow. Heard the ifi micro idsd which is a LARGE step forward. The red is a step back to me.

Burning in is never a solution in my experience if a gear doesn't sound good within the first seconds which the Dragonfly 1.2 did! Although there is a certain improvement with burning in a gear, it doesn't turn a bad soundig device into a good sounding device. 

I will return it.
confused_face.gif

Greets GerMan

It just shows that we all hear differently. I absolutely love the Red. I'm using Pono MusicWorld player with WASAPI, PC running Win 10. I like DF 1 and absolutely dislike DF 1.2 because it suffers from digititis and sounds artificial. Audioquest fixed that problem with the Red. It's smooth sounding and yet has lots of details. It's never fatiguing. The Red has the biggest soundstage of any portable i had a chance to audition. I've owned ZX2, Cowon P1, HM901 and 802, Calyx M and I prefer the sound of the Red by a big margin. I also like it more than GO V1 and 2 and Herus, I'll go as far as saying that I prefer the Red to Concero HP. I also had a chance to audition Mojo and I was very impressed with it. Unfortunately, Mojo sounds closed in to my ears. If it didn't sound closed in, I would pick it over the Red. I don't remember the last time I was so excited to come home from work and listen to my music library with a new toy.

Again, YMMV.

May 6, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #144 of 5,077
New AQ Drgonfly Red --- Hoping someone might have an answer/solution...

Can't get it to operate at 44.1 KHz:

Got my Red today. Plugged into older Macbook running 10.6.8. Audioquest indicates this as the minimum OS, but it is supported.

Running iTunes Apple lossless AAC (M4a). iTunes says they are 44.1, but the Dragonfly is Magenta, which indicates operation at 96000 Hz. According to the manual it should be running as green (and not running a multiple of the sample rate is not favorable).

Gone through the manual twice. Rebooted computer. Can't find any other settings to fiddle with. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Regards, Kent

May 6, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #145 of 5,077
I've never been able to get my Red to change colors on iTunes - it too is always stuck on the same color. Whereas when I play songs via Roon it does accurately change with tracks.

I like the sound of Room better anyway. When I A/B the same track I'll notice on iTunes the bass guitar muddies with the kick drum, whereas with Room there is clear separation and individual notes.

I'm glad AQ threw in a free 60-day trial. Plenty of time to audition. You might explore Roon or Amarra or something like that.

May 6, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #147 of 5,077
I received the Red. I gave it a short test with iphone6+. and Sennheiser ie800 iems. Can't talk about SQ yet, but the ie800's were louder with Red vs plain jane 1/8 output jack on the phone.

May 6, 2016 at 8:58 PM Post #148 of 5,077
I saw that you can download the instruction manual for each dragonfly from Audioquest!  i.e.  DragonFly-Red-FlightManual-EN.pdf      It explains which settings to change.     

But somewhere, I read that using itunes, you MAY need to manually re-set the Hz setting.  SO, if you play different bitrates, you need to manually change that setting with Itunes???  
I also remember that there is a player that will play itunes and automatically adjust the Hz for you.  But I can't find it now.  Sorry, I am not an Apple person....  And that may only be true with an older version of OSX.  But if you only see one color, I'm guessing the Dragonfly is only trying to play that Hz files, because that is the manual setting you gave your MAC...  Or all your files are the same 16/44 or 24/96,  etc

May 6, 2016 at 10:13 PM Post #149 of 5,077
Yes, thanks. Got it set to 44.1. But only choice is 24 bit, where it should be 16. Not sure if bit depth matters???

May 6, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #150 of 5,077
I'll be giving my just arrived Red a spin tomorrow on my iPhone 6 and MacBook Pro with my phones. I'll report back with my impressions. I have a DF 1.0 that I've gotten lots of enjoyment from and am pretty familiar with so I'm curious what, if any, improvements the latest and greatest provides.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back