New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Aug 7, 2016 at 1:25 AM Post #1,351 of 5,077
Short of all current Mojo users sending their DAC to MQA Inc to be retrofitted, presumably at a cost, I dont see that happening. If Chord wanted to get on the MQA bandwagon with the next iteration of the Mojo, there would still be the roadblock around applying the MQA firmware to a programmable DAC (FPGA DACs like Hugo and Mojo) - I dont see it happening. There are so many problems with this technology - from ownership to implementation - that I just dont see it gaining any traction beyond the high-end niche market, whatever noises MQA Inc might be making to the contrary. I wont link to Darko's infamous article re MQA sounding better - its generated enough heat already. 

My bluesound and naim DAC already have been updated and ready to play meridians mqa and the Dave from chord has an update coming soon an email was sent for that device. Still waiting on a response from chord if my mojo will also be updated. I know company's like Sonus are not receiving the ability to play mqa simply because they have DAC that only play cd quality and nothing above.

Aug 7, 2016 at 3:04 AM Post #1,352 of 5,077
The DFR is an interesting little device. It certainly impresses dynamically compared to my iPod's headphone out. Using Beyer DT1770 Pro headphones, switching back to my iPod HP out after a good 20 minutes of listening to the DFR shows the iPod to be somewhat flat, dull, and uninspiring in comparison.

Admittedly the DT1770 Pro is probably a bit too hard to driven properly by an iPod touch, but something I noticed is that when your ears get used to the flatter, duller, less dynamic sound of the iPod then there appears to be a larger soundstage with better instrument separation. Switching to the DFR immediately impresses with it's dynamic sound, but to my ears the soundstage collapses and things become a tad more congested, with trying to listen to individual instruments becoming harder to do. I also noticed a slight smearing in the treble, a glare if you like, which I think may be responsible to the congestion I heard.

That said, it was late last night, I was tired, and these are just my first impressions. However for the size of the device, the fact that it has plenty of power on tap, and the ease with which you can go portable (no ridiculously fat stack with cables everywhere), then I do have to say that it's a keeper.

It'll be very interesting to see how the DFR holds up against the Audeze Cipher cable on my SINEs. It may well be a good option for those who bought the SINEs without the Cipher cable, and for those who want to use the SINE with Android. Plus the DFR has the advantage in that it can be used with all headphones.

Oh, just out of curiosity I have some IEMs with inline controls for iOS. Would I be right in assuming that the inline controls will NOT function with the Dragonfly? It's no big deal as I'll tend to use IEMs straight from the iToys headphone port anyway.

Aug 7, 2016 at 3:24 AM Post #1,353 of 5,077

Oh, just out of curiosity I have some IEMs with inline controls for iOS. Would I be right in assuming that the inline controls will NOT function with the Dragonfly? It's no big deal as I'll tend to use IEMs straight from the iToys headphone port anyway.

Inline controls won't work when plugged into the DFR/DFB.

Aug 7, 2016 at 3:36 AM Post #1,354 of 5,077
Inline controls won't work when plugged into the DFR/DFB.

As I expected, thanks.

Thinking about it, It would be nice if the Dragonfly had controls, in a similar manner to the Cipher cable, as this would enable volume changes without needing to pull the iToy out of my pocket. However the controls would just be another point of failure, so maybe not such a good idea.

Aug 7, 2016 at 4:14 AM Post #1,355 of 5,077
As I expected, thanks.

Thinking about it, It would be nice if the Dragonfly had controls, in a similar manner to the Cipher cable, as this would enable volume changes without needing to pull the iToy out of my pocket. However the controls would just be another point of failure, so maybe not such a good idea.

I picked up a cheap bluetooth media remote from Amazon, it's rechargeable and fits on a keyring; cost me £4, controls volume and track skip. I can leave my phone in my inside coat pocket or bag and still have control, although pulling out the phone isn't a big deal.

Aug 7, 2016 at 4:29 AM Post #1,356 of 5,077
I picked up a cheap bluetooth media remote from Amazon, it's rechargeable and fits on a keyring; cost me £4, controls volume and track skip. I can leave my phone in my inside coat pocket or bag and still have control, although pulling out the phone isn't a big deal.

Yeah, I've seen those, and keep thinking to myself that I must get one, but for some reason I never seem to get around to it. I guess pulling my iToy out of my pocket to adjust volume and/or track skip isn't that much of the PITA as it seems like at the time :wink:

Aug 7, 2016 at 4:50 AM Post #1,357 of 5,077
I also find the Red too loud on a PC.
In fact, so loud I cannot enjoy it.
My previous DAC (iFi) had the onboard volume level to attenuate.

With both Win7 and 10 (laptop and desktop) I find myself sweating when level is above 15...just too loud
And this is with not so efficient Fostex.

Not sure how to make this work...I love the sound of the DFR.

Any suggestions?

Aug 7, 2016 at 5:04 AM Post #1,358 of 5,077
  I also find the Red too loud on a PC.
In fact, so loud I cannot enjoy it.
My previous DAC (iFi) had the onboard volume level to attenuate.

With both Win7 and 10 (laptop and desktop) I find myself sweating when level is above 15...just too loud
And this is with not so efficient Fostex.

Not sure how to make this work...I love the sound of the DFR.

Any suggestions?

So far the only viable option I have found is to set the hardware volume at a level that is a little over where it is comfortable and then use the media players built-in volume controls to fine tune. 

I use Foobar for local media and Spotify premium for streaming and both have software volume controls. I'm using mine with the DFB but have the same volume issue. It's also the same on my Linux and Chromebook machines. 

Aug 7, 2016 at 5:37 AM Post #1,359 of 5,077
Hi there.
Many questions as you can read below.

I'm thinking in buying a Black Dragonfly for my desktop.
Currently i have a Xonar DG card, HK Soundsticks III Speakers and Monster DNA Pro 2.0 Headphones.
Before someone suggests let me point out that i'm not going to change any of my peripherals.

My PC Case it not in a very accessible place, it is in a corner between the wall and my desk.
I have the speakers connected in the back of the case and it's difficult to reach there constantly.
The speakers i usually connect to the front of my case (CM Silencio 452).
I'm aware that the headphones should sound better when connected directly to the sound card at the back of the case.
That said with the Xonar sound card there's no big question changing between Speakers and headphones.

But if i buy a Dragonfly and stick it in the back of the case with my speakers connected to it, then how do i switch between speakers and headphones?
Also the speakers Subwoofer is on the opposite side of my desk meaning that the speakers cord connecting the computer case is a bit stretched.
There's no way i am going to plug and unplug my speakers each time i want to hear the headphones.
Are the Xonar card and the Dragonfly compatible? For exemple i could hear the speakers on the dragonfly and the headphones as i already do, from the Xonar on the front.
(although this last solution looks a bit far-fetched)

Buying the Dragonfly i should then remove my Xonar, right?
But then how do i use the Dragonfly with the headphones?
Would it be possible to plug somekind of 'Y' cable to the Dragonfly and then have both the speakers and the headphones connected there?
(and in case of an affirmative answer would it be easy to switch between them in the software or the OS ?)

Or maybe i could have the Dragonfly always connected in the front of the case and get an extension for my speakers cable?
It wouldn't be very pretty with the speakers cable going over the case but it could work, i guess.
Should the dragonfly worth the price over the Xonar DG?

Aug 7, 2016 at 6:32 AM Post #1,360 of 5,077
In hope Audioquest will offer a software solution in a recent hardware upgrade.

Or it should be stated clearly these units are not for "computers" with headphones use, but for handheld devices where the volume level is acceptable.

This is very frustrating. I waited for the DFR for a long time to become available and liked the iPhone demo I had.

But I cannot use it at home or in the office and it is a shame...

Aug 7, 2016 at 7:12 AM Post #1,361 of 5,077
  Or it should be stated clearly these units are not for "computers" with headphones use, but for handheld devices where the volume level is acceptable.

What are you talking about? I use my DFR almost exclusively with my laptop...with zero issues whatsoever...and it sounds fantastic. Why would they put a statement like what you're suggesting?

Aug 7, 2016 at 7:19 AM Post #1,362 of 5,077
  In hope Audioquest will offer a software solution in a recent hardware upgrade.

This is very frustrating. I waited for the DFR for a long time to become available and liked the iPhone demo I had.

But I cannot use it at home or in the office and it is a shame...

What on earth are you talking about? Only now, have the recent Dragonfly DACs become mobile phone friendly. 

You can plug any DF into ANY computer, be it PC or Mac, route the audio to it, and assuming you have headphones connected, you will hear sound. Mobile phones, are mini computers nowadays, the only difference with the DF DACs is they now require less power, thus they can be used with phones. 

I am very confused at what your understanding is of these DACs, perhaps any DAC for that matter ! 

When you realise you can use a DF with your computer, I would recommend the Dragonfly tail, which will reduce the stress on the board of your computer. 

Aug 7, 2016 at 7:36 AM Post #1,364 of 5,077
Why such harsh tone?

My statement above is regarding the very loud sound level coming out of the DFR when connected to ta PC, unlike an iPhone.

The level is so loud, it becomes very difficult to set an acceptable volume level (I am talking playing system level at 2 to 4, with the software level, be it Foobar, JRiver Tidal or iTunes, also set to a bare minimum).

With an iPhone, there is no such issue, regardless of the headphones impedance (and I have tried some demanding, some relaxed)

Aug 7, 2016 at 8:08 AM Post #1,365 of 5,077
Hi all, just started reading up on the first few pages of this thread, but was wondering if someone could kindly help me answer some questions regarding the DF Red/Blacks. 

I'm currently using the AK100II with my Shure SE846, but was wondering whether the Red/Black would be a upgrade to the AK100II?

Planning to pair up the DF with my Samsung S7 Edge, which I've read in the earlier threads, were having issues with Spotify and some audio players (require UAPP to get a decent volume out of the DF Red/Black). Has this been fixed by a firmware? Either by AQ or Samsung? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back