New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Aug 6, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #1,336 of 5,077
Do I need to use original apple usb camera cable or will dragonfly work with cheap ebay cables?

I've never been able to get the eBay cables to work for anything other than charging, but I haven't tried every single one.

Aug 6, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #1,339 of 5,077
  Ok. So I've had Red for about 3 weeks now (augmented by the Jitterbug). I'm definitely familiar with the sound and happy with it. But the entire time I've always been curious how it compares to Mojo. I've never been able to keep off the Mojo thread, and the fact that it's 1200+ pages now and that Mojo has so many glowing reviews on outside sites had me lusting for a difference. I knew I could not totally "settle" w/ the Red until I heard Mojo firsthand myself. So I sprung for it...got it yesterday...and here's my honest-to-goodness, completely transparent thought after a day of listening:

I personally can't tell any difference between Dragonfly Red and Mojo.

I can certainly tell they both improve the music on my laptop. But I can't really tell if one improves the music "better" than the other, and in fact honestly can't really tell them apart from each other in regards to how they improve the music. Both seem to give me better separation, better definition, better bass, etc.

Keep in mind I ONLY plan on using my dac/amp for my laptop, as I'm perfectly happy with my Sine + Cipher plugged straight into my iPod Touch for portable. So maybe Mojo really separates from the pack when you get into mobile use...I don't know (it seems most everyone on the thread has it strapped to a phone or DAP). I'm also willing to admit I probably don't have golden ears (or silver ears, or bronze, or anything) -- and perhaps other folks can tell a night and day difference between the two.

I plan on auditioning them a few more days since I have time before I'd have to return, but at this point I'd say I'm leaning towards returning the Mojo/keeping the Red and getting the $400 differential back. For me to fork over that difference, I REALLY wanted to hear a clear victory...but my ears just aren't finding it.

(on top of that, I'd forgotten how convenient the Red is in NEVER having to recharge or plug into a wall...I can tell that maintaining my charge and whatnot would get slightly annoying after time, especially if I'm ready to listen but had forgotten and let it drain)

This is pretty my experience. I keep both as I can't bring myself to sell either but I sure find it hard to tell much difference between them. Yes, the Mojo has the slightest of edges towards ounding better, a better insight into the music but i'm talking about the smallest of margins possible. 

Money considered, and size, I would choose the DFR all day long. Mojo is a great product, but I don't feel the DFR gets the merit it ought to in comparison. 

Aug 6, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #1,340 of 5,077
This is pretty my experience. I keep both as I can't bring myself to sell either but I sure find it hard to tell much difference between them. Yes, the Mojo has the slightest of edges towards ounding better, a better insight into the music but i'm talking about the smallest of margins possible. 

Money considered, and size, I would choose the DFR all day long. Mojo is a great product, but I don't feel the DFR gets the merit it ought to in comparison. 

If you have music at higher res there is a great difference if not the difference becomes smaller. Although tidal will play mqa soon and mojo accepts that format, the df don't accept too many high res formats so depends on your needs.

Aug 6, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #1,341 of 5,077
If you have music at higher res there is a great difference if not the difference becomes smaller. Although tidal will play mqa soon and mojo accepts that format, the df don't accept too many high res formats so depends on your needs.

Mojo does NOT support MQA.

All DACs are supposed to play MQA content as if it were standard PCM, Mojo included, but it does not have any specific support for MQA and won't be able to take advantage of most of the alleged benefits of it (just the ADC timing correction in MQA processed sources, which is true of all DACs anyway).

Aug 6, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #1,342 of 5,077

I used to have a lot of Hi Res music, but after downsampling the same files, I found, blindfolded (with no expectation bias, which is scientifically proven) I heard no difference. The best website I discovered was this for finding out which pressings are the best, and yield higher SQ:

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=michael+jackson&album=thriller

You should conduct your own tests, its fun. My conclusion is people like the big numbers. There are many theories online showing why anything above 16/44 is pointless. I appreciate this is a very divisive stance but having done my own tests, as per above. I opted to save disk space and seek out often out of print albums on Ebay. This has probably given me better sonic gains than buying more expensive HiFi gear, in my experience. 

It allowed me to seek the best masters possible, in this instance, i.e the above link, Michael Jacksons's 'Thriller'. The Hi Res Dynamic Range is awful compared with the Japanese 35 -8P, which in contrast slaughters not only the DSD, but any other version I have heard. 

Furthermore, I have also found Vinyl in many instances can sound much better, so I ended up ripping my own Vinyl with a ADC and must say some of the results have been shockingly good. Most remasters, nowadays are actually worse than the first release. I don't know what type of music you listen to but my library consists of everything from underground german techno, to steely dan, everything except classical. The amount of Vinyl rips in my library is growing by the week. 

I have not read anywhere that the Mojo will support MQA, the Dragonfly DACs are likely to with imminent updates once (if) MQA takes off. Can you point me to where it states the Mojo, or any Chord DAC will be MQA compatible, this is honestly the first I have heard of it. I know Schiit Audio have no plans of going down the MQA route, which is a shame as the people I know that have heard it were impressed to say the least. 

Reverting back to my thoughts with Hi Res audio, my claim is based on the information here:

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=173275

We all hear things differently, I am not suggesting you cannot hear a difference, perhaps you can. But despite wanting to, I can't....

Aug 6, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #1,343 of 5,077
I used to have a lot of Hi Res music, but after downsampling the same files, I found, blindfolded (with no expectation bias, which is scientifically proven) I heard no difference. The best website I discovered was this for finding out which pressings are the best, and yield higher SQ:

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=michael+jackson&album=thriller

You should conduct your own tests, its fun. My conclusion is people like the big numbers. There are many theories online showing why anything above 16/44 is pointless. I appreciate this is a very divisive stance but having done my own tests, as per above. I opted to save disk space and seek out often out of print albums on Ebay. This has probably given me better sonic gains than buying more expensive HiFi gear, in my experience. 

It allowed me to seek the best masters possible, in this instance, i.e the above link, Michael Jacksons's 'Thriller'. The Hi Res Dynamic Range is awful compared with the Japanese 35 -8P, which in contrast slaughters not only the DSD, but any other version I have heard. 

Furthermore, I have also found Vinyl in many instances can sound much better, so I ended up ripping my own Vinyl with a ADC and must say some of the results have been shockingly good. Most remasters, nowadays are actually worse than the first release. I don't know what type of music you listen to but my library consists of everything from underground german techno, to steely dan, everything except classical. The amount of Vinyl rips in my library is growing by the week. 

I have not read anywhere that the Mojo will support MQA, the Dragonfly DACs are likely to with imminent updates once (if) MQA takes off. Can you point me to where it states the Mojo, or any Chord DAC will be MQA compatible, this is honestly the first I have heard of it. I know Schiit Audio have no plans of going down the MQA route, which is a shame as the people I know that have heard it were impressed to say the least. 

Reverting back to my thoughts with Hi Res audio, my claim is based on the information here:

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=173275

We all hear things differently, I am not suggesting you cannot hear a difference, perhaps you can. But despite wanting to, I can't....

The df only can accept up to 96 so it will down sample, my mojo plays full DSD or dxd and chord sent an email about an update for mqa which might be for my Dave, but I'd assume they'd roll it out for the mojo as well since it plays well over the mqa rates, the df does not play anything over 24/96 so most likely not. Condensing hi res I found to sound worse than just playing cd quality since your relying on whatever your playing from to condense the music. For myself there is a very noticeable difference in timing and layering with high res music, much more on my home stereo than headphones but still present there as well.

Aug 6, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #1,344 of 5,077
The df only can accept up to 96 so it will down sample, my mojo plays full DSD or dxd and chord sent an email about an update for mqa which might be for my Dave, but I'd assume they'd roll it out for the mojo as well since it plays well over the mqa rates, the df does not play anything over 24/96 so most likely not. Condensing hi res I found to sound worse than just playing cd quality since your relying on whatever your playing from to condense the music.

"In summary - a bandwidth limited signal (i.e one which is chopped off at a given high frequency - in the case of CD sample rate (the 44 in 16/44) that's about 22KHz (being half the value of the 44KHz sampling rate)) with a limited dynamic range (range of quiet to loud - in the case of CD sample depth (the 16 in 16/44) approx. 95db) can, in theory, be perfectly encoded to digital, and subsequently reconstructed into the *exact* original signal. No stair steps are involved! This is because of the "maths" involved in the coding/decoding algorithms."

There is also an implicit assumption that frequencies that can't be heard (or for that matter, in most cases, re-produced by your speakers) are of no relevance.

But there might well follow several pages on this, and you really don't want "the detail" unless you're quite a good mathematician 
smile.gif

Not a case of condensing my friend, merely recognising the limits of the human ear. If you own the DAVE DAC, this certainly warrants a read. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyquist%E2%80%93Shannon_sampling_theorem

Aug 6, 2016 at 6:43 PM Post #1,349 of 5,077
Has anyone noticed in iO10 notifications (swipe right from lock screen), it tells you the name, and model of the DAC your music is being played to? Not, that we need reminding but a nice touch nonetheless. 

Has to do with iPhone 7 doing away with the headphone jack. It will now know what headphones you're using (or DAC). There's even some talk that it will use this information to create specialized EQ for certain headphones taking into account their individual frequency response.

Aug 7, 2016 at 1:11 AM Post #1,350 of 5,077
  Well, it would be a huge bonus to me should Mojo take on MQA (sadly until i see it, I remain doubtful). I remain on the fence with Roon as a current Audirvana user but this would sway me. 

Short of all current Mojo users sending their DAC to MQA Inc to be retrofitted, presumably at a cost, I dont see that happening. If Chord wanted to get on the MQA bandwagon with the next iteration of the Mojo, there would still be the roadblock around applying the MQA firmware to a programmable DAC (FPGA DACs like Hugo and Mojo) - I dont see it happening. There are so many problems with this technology - from ownership to implementation - that I just dont see it gaining any traction beyond the high-end niche market, whatever noises MQA Inc might be making to the contrary. I wont link to Darko's infamous article re MQA sounding better - its generated enough heat already. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back