New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Nov 1, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #3,886 of 5,077
Hi I’d just like to ask especially for those who’ve had or have had the dragonfly red. What’s the next upgrade if I want to get just a better dac. I use my ADR as dac only to my darkvoice 336SE tube amp. If ever I wish to upgrade what should I look at?

Nov 1, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #3,887 of 5,077
Hi I’d just like to ask especially for those who’ve had or have had the dragonfly red. What’s the next upgrade if I want to get just a better dac. I use my ADR as dac only to my darkvoice 336SE tube amp. If ever I wish to upgrade what should I look at?

It's easy to answer: Oppo HA-2SE, than a step further Chord Mojo. Both are for me unfortunatelly not so portable like the DFR. Anyway I self cannot heard such a difference between both which justify the price over the DFR.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #3,888 of 5,077
It's easy to answer: Oppo HA-2SE, than a step further Chord Mojo. Both are for me unfortunatelly not so portable like the DFR. Anyway I self cannot heard such a difference between both which justify the price over the DFR.
And ... the DFR doesn’t need charging :)

Nov 1, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #3,889 of 5,077

Thanks heard i was thinking of the mojo but pairing with my tube amp supposedly isn’t the best. The ha2se may be a just bit better to justify an upgrade but I know it doesn’t have mqa so I may stick to the adr if these are the options. :)

Nov 1, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #3,890 of 5,077
Thanks heard i was thinking of the mojo but pairing with my tube amp supposedly isn’t the best. The ha2se may be a just bit better to justify an upgrade but I know it doesn’t have mqa so I may stick to the adr if these are the options. :)

I suggest you to search better IEM if you want such a step further in the sound quality. I had since a few days ago the IE8 and I didn't noticed such a better sound with the DFR/Mojo. Than I tried the IE800s and the sound quality way WAYS better also without DAC. Now I compared the IE800s with the Beyerdynamic Xelento (both cost 1000€) which, again, I personally found to be soundwise much better than the IE800s.

Nov 1, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #3,892 of 5,077

What form factor of DAC are you looking for? Micro/USB thumbdrive, compact/portable, or full desktop size? If full desktop is an option, I'd HIGHLY recommend trying out a Gustard X20U / X20PRO if you can... cannot be beat for the price. I picked up a used X20U for way less than new price...does absolutely everything better than the DFR (which it should!) and would be an endgame top level DAC for most.

Nov 1, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #3,893 of 5,077
What form factor of DAC are you looking for? Micro/USB thumbdrive, compact/portable, or full desktop size? If full desktop is an option, I'd HIGHLY recommend trying out a Gustard X20U / X20PRO if you can... cannot be beat for the price. I picked up a used X20U for way less than new price...does absolutely everything better than the DFR (which it should!) and would be an endgame top level DAC for most.

Idealy something I could place next to my Macbook. Doesn’t have to be portable. Will use together with my Darkvoice 336Se.

Nov 2, 2017 at 4:16 AM Post #3,894 of 5,077
I thought the iFi iDSD Micro BL was a nice upgrade to the DFR, though I think it's considered more transportable than portable. Still find it to work for when I want to alternate between a desktop and a laptop.

Nov 2, 2017 at 5:38 AM Post #3,895 of 5,077
I thought the iFi iDSD Micro BL was a nice upgrade to the DFR, though I think it's considered more transportable than portable. Still find it to work for when I want to alternate between a desktop and a laptop.

Couldn't agree more, I found the iDSD BL to be a very organic upgrade to the DFR even though their signatures are slightly different.
I still keep the DFR around for specific headphones/situations but the iDSD is better in every respect, as should be for the price.

Nov 3, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #3,896 of 5,077
Hi i am going to buy Meze 99 Neo shortly. So i need a good dac to be plugged to my LG G6 or future android phones probably Huawei.
Can i play youtube other online players via dragonfly or is it just the usb player that works with the dragon fly ?
If not dragon please suggest which dac should i opt too.
Schiit fulla 2 also on my list even though not portable still can be used as a desktop amp but can carry in bag.
I don't use headphones in public anyway.

Nov 3, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #3,897 of 5,077
Hi i am going to buy Meze 99 Neo shortly. So i need a good dac to be plugged to my LG G6 or future android phones probably Huawei.
Can i play youtube other online players via dragonfly or is it just the usb player that works with the dragon fly ?
If not dragon please suggest which dac should i opt too.
Schiit fulla 2 also on my list even though not portable still can be used as a desktop amp but can carry in bag.
I don't use headphones in public anyway.
DF will do everything you ask for above. In windows control panel can make all sounds go through DF if you want. Just select as default sound device.

Nov 3, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #3,898 of 5,077
DF will do everything you ask for above. In windows control panel can make all sounds go through DF if you want. Just select as default sound device.

By windows control panel you mean the panel which pop ups when dragon fly is connected to an Android phone ?
Which phone do you use and also is it easy to operate ? Sry for noob qstn

Nov 3, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #3,899 of 5,077
OOPs, For some reason Thought you were talking about youtube through windows PC,,, when you said "Desktop amp" above.

I have used with an OPPO Find 7, ZTE 7 Mini, and LG-G6... Usually use with music via Usb Audio Player Pro... That is one player that gives correct bit rates and very clean audio. Can download from Google Play Store. I like using UAPP; because when listening to music no other phone sounds come through the DFR. (At least with settings I use)...

What other players/apps work through the DF "correctly" from from a phone, without re-sampling, etc , depends on your exact phone. Almost all the Phone Makers like to play around with Android, so they act differently with attached DAC's... Many folks use UAPP to set the "hardware" volume of the DF , and then close it and use other apps/players. Without that, volume can be low on some phone apps through DFB or DFR.

Hope that helps some. Sorry for my missteak above.

Nov 3, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #3,900 of 5,077
Capture+_2017-11-03-21-43-53.png
OOPs, For some reason Thought you were talking about youtube through windows PC,,, when you said "Desktop amp" above.

I have used with an OPPO Find 7, ZTE 7 Mini, and LG-G6... Usually use with music via Usb Audio Player Pro... That is one player that gives correct bit rates and very clean audio. Can download from Google Play Store. I like using UAPP; because when listening to music no other phone sounds come through the DFR. (At least with settings I use)...

What other players/apps work through the DF "correctly" from from a phone, without re-sampling, etc , depends on your exact phone. Almost all the Phone Makers like to play around with Android, so they act differently with attached DAC's... Many folks use UAPP to set the "hardware" volume of the DF , and then close it and use other apps/players. Without that, volume can be low on some phone apps through DFB or DFR.

Hope that helps some. Sorry for my missteak above.

Am also using G6 now :D. I guess this window is what you telling earlier.
So either way i can use Dragon fly with phone to watch youtube songs, thats great cos i listen online songs mostly than offline

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back