New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Oct 13, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #3,871 of 5,077
I’ve started looking for a new DAC to add to the collection, and I realized that I am spoiled by the lossless digital volume control on the DF Red. After the difficulty I’ve had with the Tidal desktop app, I realized how much I enjoy connecting the DFR to my iPhone and being able to control the volume with the buttons on the side of the phone. Is there any other DAC out there that 1) sounds noticeably better than the DFR, 2) allows the output level to be controlled with an iOS device buttons without significant loss of sound quality, and 3) costs less than 500 USD?

(I tried the Meridian Explorer2, but I didn’t think it sounded better than the DFR.)

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #3,873 of 5,077
I’ve started looking for a new DAC to add to the collection, and I realized that I am spoiled by the lossless digital volume control on the DF Red. After the difficulty I’ve had with the Tidal desktop app, I realized how much I enjoy connecting the DFR to my iPhone and being able to control the volume with the buttons on the side of the phone. Is there any other DAC out there that 1) sounds noticeably better than the DFR, 2) allows the output level to be controlled with an iOS device buttons without significant loss of sound quality, and 3) costs less than 500 USD?

(I tried the Meridian Explorer2, but I didn’t think it sounded better than the DFR.)

Simple and quick answer: no, there aren’t any other available answering your three criterias.

Oct 13, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #3,874 of 5,077
You may also use the DFR as a DAC only device and then you may pair it with many better (and more expensive) amps available.

Oct 13, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #3,875 of 5,077
You may want to add a Jitterbug.I think it improves the SQ of my iPhone 6+/Dragonfly red combo.

That is true, but I find the Jitterbug more usefull when used at the output of a computer than with a phone or iPad.

Oct 13, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #3,876 of 5,077
That is true, but I find the Jitterbug more usefull when used at the output of a computer than with a phone or iPad.
Jitterbug makes a notable difference in use with my Android phone. Very noticeable, pleasant happy difference

Oct 13, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #3,877 of 5,077

Brand new, no. Used Chord Mojo on eBay can be had for less than $500

Oct 14, 2017 at 5:47 AM Post #3,878 of 5,077
When using the DFR as a DAC only i have to set the volume to 100%? Ive read some things about the DFR distorting above 85% because of a technical missconception. Also wouldnt that max out the amp part of the DFR since you are using max volume? Also if the 100% part is right, i should set Tidal Force Volume setting right?

My Fiio A5 is arriving today and since i heard its a wonderful pairing with the DFR i have high hopes :)

Oct 14, 2017 at 5:55 AM Post #3,879 of 5,077
When using the DFR as a DAC only i have to set the volume to 100%? Ive read some things about the DFR distorting above 85% because of a technical missconception. Also wouldnt that max out the amp part of the DFR since you are using max volume? Also if the 100% part is right, i should set Tidal Force Volume setting right?

My Fiio A5 is arriving today and since i heard its a wonderful pairing with the DFR i have high hopes :)
DFR volume is Digital so channel imbalance doesn't occur. First set DFR volume at full, but if that doesn't allow enough room for volume control on connected amp, you can lower DFR volume. 70% and above being fed into an amp, you won't find much if any difference in SQ

Oct 14, 2017 at 6:14 AM Post #3,880 of 5,077

The following text has been taken from the DFR’s website (Audioquest) and says it all:
« You can also use DragonFly as a traditional fixed-output source component (such as a CD player, DVD player, or Blu-ray player), connected to a standard input on a receiver or preamplifier. When used in this manner, DragonFly functions in fixed output mode, which allows the overall volume level to be adjusted with the audio/video system’s master volume control. For this application, both the music player’s volume control and the computer’s main (operating system) volume level should be set to maximum ».

Nov 1, 2017 at 6:44 AM Post #3,881 of 5,077
Sorry people are a little behind. Step one, go to Audioquest website and download the software to update your dragonfly. You need to be on the latest software to be able to effectively change the volume. Step two, you need an app that can take control of the Red internal volume control to change it. Android natively defaults it to 40 when there are actually 64 steps on the Dragonfly red volume. USB AUDIO PLAYER PRO is definitely able to adjust the volume. The way it works is in the UAPP app you hit the 3 do menu button at the top of the screen, select hardware volume, and raise the volume slider to say 80% or so. You then continue to press the back button on uour Android device and UAPP will exit. With the DRAGONFLY UPDATE the volume level of the Red will remain at the level you set and you will now be able to use the Android media volume to adjust the 15 steps on Android for use with Netflix, Pandora, Spotify, or whatever else you may want. So in summary, YES you can use the dragonfly red to listen to an audible volume level on any headphone while doing any app. You just need to update the Dragonfly first, and use an app such as UAPP to adjust the Dragonfly volume.

Great info. This was what I was looking for and skimmed many pages of this thread..

Is it possible to use the Dragonfly with a PCI soundcard getting output from both simultaneously?

Nov 1, 2017 at 9:35 AM Post #3,882 of 5,077
Sorry people are a little behind. Step one, go to Audioquest website and download the software to update your dragonfly. You need to be on the latest software to be able to effectively change the volume. Step two, you need an app that can take control of the Red internal volume control to change it. Android natively defaults it to 40 when there are actually 64 steps on the Dragonfly red volume. USB AUDIO PLAYER PRO is definitely able to adjust the volume. The way it works is in the UAPP app you hit the 3 do menu button at the top of the screen, select hardware volume, and raise the volume slider to say 80% or so. You then continue to press the back button on uour Android device and UAPP will exit. With the DRAGONFLY UPDATE the volume level of the Red will remain at the level you set and you will now be able to use the Android media volume to adjust the 15 steps on Android for use with Netflix, Pandora, Spotify, or whatever else you may want. So in summary, YES you can use the dragonfly red to listen to an audible volume level on any headphone while doing any app. You just need to update the Dragonfly first, and use an app such as UAPP to adjust the Dragonfly volume.

I noticed the quality is best if software volume is maxed out. I can notice a different when I knock it down 1 step from max.

My set up:
- Set software volume to 0
- Set your desired HW volume in UAPP and exit
- Turn SW volume to max

Now any app that you use should play at the desired max HW volume that you set when you max out the SW volume.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017 at 9:38 AM Post #3,883 of 5,077
I noticed the quality is best if software volume is maxed out. I can notice a different when I knock it down 1 step from max.

My set up:
- Set software volume to 0
- Set the desired HW volume in UAPP and exit
- Turn SW volume to max

Do you use in UAPP the option "bit-perfect"? The problem here is that I cannot change the volume over the buttons which is very annoying.

Nov 1, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #3,885 of 5,077
Yes, and within settings of UAPP there is a volume controls options. I've set it to "Hardware volume control"

I know and this is annoying because I always have to open the app to change the volume.

Can I have a bit-perfect playback with others app such as Onkyo HF or Neutron Music Player? How is the audio quality between these three apps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back