New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Feb 8, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #2,656 of 5,077
From what I've read some Android phones don't have issues while others do. All mine work perfectly with UAPP app, just not using android default sound system apps (nearly all!!).

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

When i use UAPP all works fine, but i try 5 different devices Xiaomi MiMax, Nvidia Shield, HTC M8, Nexus 7, Lenovo S1, same problem with system volume.

Feb 8, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #2,657 of 5,077
Its strange. With Samsung S7 difference between max and one step down his huge with max being a bit too loud and next step being way too low.

With my Z5 the Max volume is about the same but more control to the 50% volume level.

Hopefully problem goes away with rhe update.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Feb 8, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #2,658 of 5,077
So I've just seen the Apple CCK USB 3 or the first time in the flesh, wow that thing is massive!

I had planned to buy it having seen the posts in this thread about it fixing the pops and clicks issue and also Audioquest's insert in my DFR box stating that you get better SQ using it. The nice lady in the Apple Store was even going to take off the price of my USB 2 version and only charge me the difference after I explained why I was interested in the USB 3 version, but when I saw it's size I decided I can live with the occasional pops and clicks!!!

Thanks for your post. I actually made the switch and love the sq

Feb 8, 2017 at 11:36 PM Post #2,659 of 5,077
Just received my USB 3 CCK. Great solution for the pops and clicks, which in my case was frequent enough to be distracting and irritating. The adaptor is big no doubt, but it allows charging while listening, something I couldn't do before. And a quick test reveals no difference in SQ with and without charging during playback. Good piece of gear. 

Feb 8, 2017 at 11:46 PM Post #2,660 of 5,077
  Just received my USB 3 CCK. Great solution for the pops and clicks, which in my case was frequent enough to be distracting and irritating. The adaptor is big no doubt, but it allows charging while listening, something I couldn't do before. And a quick test reveals no difference in SQ with and without charging during playback. Good piece of gear. 

Did you notice any increase in resolution using USB 3.0 as opposed to the old 2.0 CCK? According to AudioQuest, they do make a difference.

Feb 9, 2017 at 1:16 AM Post #2,661 of 5,077

Did you notice any increase in resolution using USB 3.0 as opposed to the old 2.0 CCK? According to AudioQuest, they do make a difference.

I believe there is a difference in clarity. I was told by an apple worker that the internal parts are better quality and fir someone streaming tidal hifi the extra bandwidth is important. I really like the fact that I can charge and listen

Feb 9, 2017 at 1:49 AM Post #2,662 of 5,077
Now that you mentioned it, and I gave it a better listen, yes. As @yacobx mentioned, there's better clarity and more detailed. The older one sounds constricted and a little muddy in comparison.

Feb 9, 2017 at 4:03 AM Post #2,664 of 5,077
Can you guys compare O2/ODAC (which I'm about to purchase) vs DFR, in sound quality and character wise.

The headphones I own;

Shure SE846
Sennheiser HD650
Audio Technica M50x

Thanks!

It will power the m50x well. I use this as my portable on the go setup.

Might be lacking for the hd650. I had to get an amp for my hd600 to give it power.

Feb 9, 2017 at 8:32 AM Post #2,666 of 5,077

A side benefit to the USB 3 CCK (maybe unique to my set-up).  In the past, when I have tried connecting my iPhone to my TEAC UD-501 DAC using the old CCK, it would not work, displaying a message that the current draw was too great - odd as the TEAC is AC powered.  With the new CCK, I can get the connection to work, as long as the CCK is charging.  (I could also jury-rig a powered hub and get it to work.)

Feb 9, 2017 at 9:00 AM Post #2,667 of 5,077
I understand little about tech stuff but sounds like one of those USB "handshakes" that I often read about where both ends needs to be powered, and this CCK does the trick. Just one more thing to justify the purchase. Super happy. :)

A side benefit to the USB 3 CCK (maybe unique to my set-up).  In the past, when I have tried connecting my iPhone to my TEAC UD-501 DAC using the old CCK, it would not work, displaying a message that the current draw was too great - odd as the TEAC is AC powered.  With the new CCK, I can get the connection to work, as long as the CCK is charging.  (I could also jury-rig a powered hub and get it to work.)

Feb 9, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #2,670 of 5,077
Just want to see if you more knowledgeable folks can clear up a question I have regarding the upcoming MQA update to DFR and DFB.  As I understand it, programs like Tidal will still need to do the first unfold in the software, then pass on that initial unfold data to the DFR or DFB for additional hardware unfolds up to a max of 192KHz.  Is this correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back