New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Feb 7, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #2,641 of 5,077
Feb 7, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #2,642 of 5,077
Can you guys compare O2/ODAC (which I'm about to purchase) vs DFR, in sound quality and character wise?

The headphones I own;

Shure SE846
Sennheiser HD650
Audio Technica M50x

Thanks!

Feb 7, 2017 at 7:31 PM Post #2,643 of 5,077
Feb 7, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #2,646 of 5,077

Not all USB 3.0 ports are blue fyi

The Apple Camera Connector Kit with the extra lightning port is USB 3.0, the regular CCK is not USB 3.0.

Awesome. Thanks for explaining. It's under iPad accessories so I missed it. Will give this one a try.

Feb 7, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #2,647 of 5,077
mqa master BitPerfect i think

1 Start windows app
2 Settings Streaming Sound -dragonfly- force volume only - 1 and 3 uncheck
3 Play a mqa master song

4 DURING playback go to Settings Streaming Sound -dragonfly- click use exclusive mode

After step 4 my apo equalizer stop working .sound is better instant [no stop at all] and dragonflay black change color from magenta 96 to amber 88200 and back
ex Blink 182 California is 88200 color amber.

If you  play a 44100 song the sound stop error message appears and you have so start over. For 44100 use jriver.

Feb 8, 2017 at 7:16 AM Post #2,648 of 5,077
seems to be almost made to measure for the S7 Edge with a case installed...

Will have to find myself some velcro or thick double sided tape...

Thanks again for the heads up
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, mine arrived today. Fits even better with my Z5 compact with it being a thicker phone than the S7. Couldn't have designed it any better, its as if it was designed for the Z5 !

Gap is just right size to fasten with some Sellotape Sticky Fixer Tape (more firm/rigid than using Velcro as I don't need to take it off the back of the case. If I still want to use with a PC then I still can with extension lead).

I've now achieved my ultimate portable combining low weight/size, decent battery life (Z5 Stamina Mode), no interference from 3G/4G/Wifi. Latest Android OS so no issues streaming/storing Tidal/Spotify plus of cause my Hi-def stored files on 256GB microSD playing through UAPP in bitperfect. Even the Built-in Sony Music app plays DSD's !  All done with no expensive high-end Sony/AK prices. The Z5 even has LDAC Bluetooth which is excellent to the higher-end Sony LDAC headphones if needed. The Z5 is also a fast phone so smooth operation. Total weight 180g.

Just need to find a button app that lets me use the volume buttons as next/prev track (not working in UAPP app itself with Z5 but do with S7?).

Note:   the cable controls don't work through the DAC but then they don't with any DAC I'm aware of. Still waiting on AQ to send out the MQA firmware update that supposedly also fixes the Android OS low volume issue (volume not an issue for me with my SE846's with Spotify for example)

Feb 8, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #2,649 of 5,077
I owned a Red when it came out and today I received a Black, I only tested from the PC but to my surprise It seems that the Black has too much gain I can't pass the 2 (of 100) if I remember correctly the Red (I no longer have it) had a bit more room to play with the volume. The only alternative is manage the volume from the source (youtube, foobar..etc)

Waiting the firmware update if we have a bit better/gradual volume steps. At least there is no channel imbalance :D

Feb 8, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #2,650 of 5,077
  I owned a Red when it came out and today I received a Black, I only tested from the PC but to my surprise It seems that the Black has too much gain I can't pass the 2 (of 100) if I remember correctly the Red (I no longer have it) had a bit more room to play with the volume. The only alternative is manage the volume from the source (youtube, foobar..etc)

Waiting the firmware update if we have a bit better/gradual volume steps. At least there is no channel imbalance :D

On my Desktop & Laptop with the Red I listen between 7-12 (of 100) but the SE846's are very sensitive at only 9 Ohm.

Feb 8, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #2,651 of 5,077

On my Desktop & Laptop with the Red I listen between 7-12 (of 100) but the SE846's are very sensitive at only 9 Ohm.

I use mainly UM3x, I tend to listen below average volume but I highly doubt anyone could pass 2-3/100 with these iems. I don't remember exactly with the Red but I think I could reach 4-5/100.

Feb 8, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #2,653 of 5,077
Any news about update ? What a shame for Audioquest.....update one microchip take 10 months !

Yes, the Android OS volume issue is taking them ages to issue a solution. Fortunately the volume using Spotify with my SE846's has been loud enough but nearly have to set at max  (less than 50% if using UAPP with proper volume control).  I posted previous that AQ support emailed me and said about two weeks for the MQA & volume fix firmware (that was last week).

Feb 8, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #2,654 of 5,077
Yes, the Android OS volume issue is taking them ages to issue a solution. Fortunately the volume using Spotify with my SE846's has been loud enough but nearly have to set at max  (less than 50% if using UAPP with proper volume control).  I posted previous that AQ support emailed me and said about two weeks for the MQA & volume fix firmware (that was last week).

I understand it's possible to have some issues with diferent OS. But shame is that Audioquest sell this red version under the sticker "mobile friendly" .So.... i asking, nobody just test it in company on android before they put on market ? What...

Feb 8, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #2,655 of 5,077
From what I've read some Android phones don't have issues while others do. All mine work perfectly with UAPP app, just not using android default sound system apps (nearly all!!).

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back