New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Feb 2, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #2,581 of 5,077
  Have good news on the DFR (and DFB). I asked Audioquest a few questions and just had reply below:

Dear Andrew,

The software update, which will be available to download for free via the Desktop Manager app on our website: http://www.audioquest.com/dragonfly-series/#downloads will be available in a week or so.  This will update both the volume issue and MQA.  If you registered your Dragonfly, you will receive an email when it's available.

Please note: you will need to use a suitable media player, such as Tidal or Audirvana Plus, to play MQA files.  This is because MQA requires a decoder and a renderer to play a file.  The renderer is built into the Dragonfly and the decoder is built into the media player's software.  Once updated, your Dragonfly will glow a beautiful shade of blue to let you know you're playing an MQA file.  MQA files are played in the same resolution as they were recorded in.

Best regards,

Yes!!  I was having a crappy day at work and this brought a little brightness to my day!  Now I have to decide if I want to invest in Tidal or Audinirvana Plus....Opinions?

Feb 3, 2017 at 1:50 AM Post #2,582 of 5,077
Guys - I just got the DragonFly Red. I am delighted to report that it sounds deliciously good. Better than the Mojo, I dare say because, IMO, the Mojo's strengths are 1) Case design 2) Timing 3) Detail retrieval. I had the DF Black for a week (of intense burn in and listening) and I can say that it does not have the same sound as the Red. The Red's sound is high-end. Even and balanced. Musical. Analogue. Detailed. Dynamic as hell. Unbelievable stuff I tell ya. Unbelievable that they packed all that goodness in a tiny enclosure. Kudos to Audioquest. BTW, any of you own a Sony XBA-Z5, get the Red. It is the end game. You will have reached the height of high-end audio pleasure.

Feb 3, 2017 at 2:13 AM Post #2,583 of 5,077
  Guys - I just got the DragonFly Red. I am delighted to report that it sounds deliciously good. Better than the Mojo, I dare say because, IMO, the Mojo's strengths are 1) Case design 2) Timing 3) Detail retrieval. I had the DF Black for a week (of intense burn in and listening) and I can say that it does not have the same sound as the Red. The Red's sound is high-end. Even and balanced. Musical. Analogue. Detailed. Dynamic as hell. Unbelievable stuff I tell ya. Unbelievable that they packed all that goodness in a tiny enclosure. Kudos to Audioquest. BTW, any of you own a Sony XBA-Z5, get the Red. It is the end game. You will have reached the height of high-end audio pleasure.

How is the Black compared to the Red? I'm underwhelmed by the Black so far.

Feb 3, 2017 at 2:36 AM Post #2,584 of 5,077
Half the price of the Red, the Black is a bargain because it sounds exciting and is well made. Exciting while keeping all of the essential bits like soundstage, bass response (expressive and big, if a little distant compared to the Red) and detail intact. It in itself is a hifi miracle. Both AQ products are worthy of our money. I love the Black so much that I am keeping it even when I listen to the Red (on my iPhone 6s) most of the time. The Black's edge is its vocal inflections, better than the Red by a hair.

Feb 3, 2017 at 5:28 AM Post #2,585 of 5,077
Half the price of the Red, the Black is a bargain because it sounds exciting and is well made. Exciting while keeping all of the essential bits like soundstage, bass response (expressive and big, if a little distant compared to the Red) and detail intact. It in itself is a hifi miracle. Both AQ products are worthy of our money. I love the Black so much that I am keeping it even when I listen to the Red (on my iPhone 6s) most of the time. The Black's edge is its vocal inflections, better than the Red by a hair.

Funny , since i got my black tell now i keep A/B test with my onboard realtek default audio on my cheap PC and aleays find that soundstage,bass and dynamics are way better than DF :/ as if i am listinng to a large studio sound system (i made sure no any eq or effects) . Strange really

Feb 3, 2017 at 6:22 AM Post #2,586 of 5,077
Funny , since i got my black tell now i keep A/B test with my onboard realtek default audio on my cheap PC and aleays find that soundstage,bass and dynamics are way better than DF :/ as if i am listinng to a large studio sound system (i made sure no any eq or effects) . Strange really

I guess a DAC's quality is only as good as the quality of the speakers producing the sound. Have u listened to the Sony XBA-Z5? They are extraordinarily good. Paired with the DragonFlys, they will bring you to aural nirvana

Feb 3, 2017 at 7:50 AM Post #2,588 of 5,077
Will stick with my SE846's which sound amazing with anything really. I've gone back to DFR from Mojo purely for ease of use/portability coupled with great SQ.

Once my USB OTG 180 degree connector arrives I will likely have it permanently connected to my Z5 Compact as dedicated music player rather than swapping S7 between cases.

Feb 3, 2017 at 8:23 AM Post #2,589 of 5,077
I asked Audioquest this same question last Friday. This is their reply.

[COLOR=222222]The software update, which will be available to download for free via the Desktop Manager app on our website: [COLOR=1155CC][COLOR=0000FF]http://www.audioquest.com/dragonfly-series/#downloads[/COLOR][/COLOR] will be available around the end of the month/early February.  If you registered your Dragonfly, you will receive an email when it's available.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=222222]Please note: you will need to use a suitable media player, such as Tidal or Audirvana Plus, to play MQA files.  This is because MQA requires a decoder and a renderer to play a file.  The renderer is built into the Dragonfly and the decoder is built into the media player's software.  Once updated, your Dragonfly will glow a beautiful shade of blue to let you know you're playing an MQA file.[/COLOR]

That kind of stinks so the DF will not play MQA songs that you already purchased, only ones that are partially opened by software, so it's not a true MQA DAC than.

Feb 3, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #2,590 of 5,077
I guess a DAC's quality is only as good as the quality of the speakers producing the sound. Have u listened to the Sony XBA-Z5? They are extraordinarily good. Paired with the DragonFlys, they will bring you to aural nirvana

Since i am using the same headphones (sennhieser HD451) on both to compare A/B then then DF should sound better right? But its not sadly i feel with DF that audio is too bright with tons of details but fatiguing and not entertaining or musical than my deault cheap realtek built in audio which in contradiction to the DF , the realtek audio have more bass more sound stage even if less details and less power but more musical and energetic lmao.
Maybe its me or my DF unit is defective :/

Feb 3, 2017 at 9:38 AM Post #2,592 of 5,077
I just got DFR,uapp, otg cable for s7edge to drive the low quality sound levels and it sounds great now.
Problem when receiving calls or notification alerts I get distortion from the phones speaker. If I disconnect the DFR it goes back to normal alerts and ringtone.

Feb 3, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #2,593 of 5,077
If the red is miles better, and to me makes zero difference with B&W P9s on a MacBook Pro, what does the black sound like? Might even be worse than the macs dac/amp :wink:

Feb 3, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #2,595 of 5,077
Will stick with my SE846's which sound amazing with anything really. I've gone back to DFR from Mojo purely for ease of use/portability coupled with great SQ.

Once my USB OTG 180 degree connector arrives I will likely have it permanently connected to my Z5 Compact as dedicated music player rather than swapping S7 between cases.
Agreed, re practicality of DFR vs Mojo :)

As an aside, can you link me to the OTG adapter you're waiting for? I keep snagging mine, so would be good to have a neater / tidier solution... Thanks :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back