New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
May 10, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #226 of 5,077
Obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but are iPad Airs really known for their good DACs? Not doubting you -- I just had no clue, and had pretty much gathered that people don't think very highly of Apple's other Dacs (e.g. laptops and iPhones)

At any rate, I use my Red predominantly with my laptop -- I've barely even used the iPhone/CCK yet. On my laptop (a Macbook Air), I can notice a huge difference between just using my headphone jack and playing from the native iTunes player vs using my Jitterbug/Red and playing through Roon. It's louder, fuller bass, snappier highs, better mids and more pronounced separation between instruments.

I'd be curious to hear Black in comparison. My headphones are already pretty efficient (Hifiman HE400s) -- but I opted for Red in case I ever wanted a thistier headphone and didn't feel like the price difference was a huge deal. The Momentum 2.0 is pretty efficient too, and I'm admittedly not familiar with Tidal -- I really don't stream that much.

What types/genres of music are you listening to?

The more recent iPhone and iPad devices in general (iPhone 4 and up) have good DACs considering their size and ubiquity, What Hifi have given several iPhones and iPads five stars and praised their sound even though they do not offer native high resolution output. They said about the iPhone 6S: "When CD-quality tracks sound as good as this, we don’t find ourselves wanting for high-res audio, or feel like we’re missing out."' Now, I'm not saying What Hifi are the authoritative reviewers of audio. But I like to read their thoughts on products.

We also hooked up an older Creative external USB sound card at home, and I found myself (and my dad the audiophile) preferring the sound coming out of my iPad listening to some open backed Sennheisers and Sony's (can't remember the models). I was surprised, to say the least. We were playing some 24 bit recordings and there was more definition in the voice with the iPad.

And as far as my music tastes go, it's varied. Classical (Max Richer, Philip Glass, film soundtracks), rap (Kendrick Lamar), RnB, pop, alternative (Grimes and many others), folk (Feist). I don't listen to much rock or country at the moment, but it's not out of bounds. I simply listen to what impresses me and I do not think about the classification much.

May 10, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #227 of 5,077
As others have said, the Android problems are not unique to Audioquest. Over at the Schiit website they too recommend UAPP. I have two Samsung Android tablets. Big and Little. They were both running the same build. One works natively with all android apps with my Emotiva DAC1 and BiFrost both as Uber and Multibit. The other tablet needs UAPP. UAPP is interesting. Sitting by the BiFrost, when I launch UAPP I hear a click as the UAPP driver is loaded. When I exit UAPP there is another click as they delete the driver. Quite a few times I found UAPP did not successfully delete their driver. Then, the tablet could natively access google music, Amazon music, local files and play them. I could not get UAPP to reliably leave the driver on the USB port. What this does prove is that a driver can be written to route sound through USB. If UAPP can do it so can someone else.

May 10, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #228 of 5,077
Just broke open the box on a Red. Very impressive little unit. Drives the X easily. Absolute value buy.

May 10, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #230 of 5,077
I must admit, whilst I like Android as a platform, I gave up trying to use it for decent music on the go a good few years ago. I struggled for volume full stop (not loud enough for commuting), & even more annoying was the lack of granularity and profile of the volume steps themselves. You can up-vote the support ticket raised on the developers website but it's been there for years now with little or no progress from what I've seen.

Anyway, back to the Red - for home use with a Macbook, AQ Nighthawks & a decent but modest amp (Magni 2U), I prefer this set up to using the Mojo alone with the Macbook. The fact that I can bundle the DF Red up & use it in-line with my mobile set up I view as a bonus/secondary function. I wouldn't say it doesn't massively improve the sound of my mobile Momentum 2.0 AE (it does!) but as I say, the biggest value add for me is as part of that home set up.     

May 10, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #231 of 5,077
Totally confused right now about which I would prefer.

Red's soundstage seems to be preferred; but it also seems to have a harsher treble, if I read the reviews correctly.

Black seems to be reported as having a slightly warmer sound.

May 10, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #232 of 5,077

Red's soundstage seems to be preferred; but it also seems to have a harsher treble, if I read the reviews correctly.

Absolutely going to depend on what headphones you plan to use. I have used my red with V-moda m100, V-moda XS, Sennheiser Momentum, and my AKG Q701. Red is awesome with all the above. Treble isn't harsh on any of the above. I prefer to amp the Q701 in conjunction with the red, but sound is wonderful in general. This is all coming from my galaxy s7 edge. The phone itself sounds pretty good, but I definitely notice an increase in overall SQ, and soundstage when using the red as opposed to the phones internal DAC. For those wishing to use dragonfly with typical Android media players, be it audio or video, SQ wise, the dragonfly makes a difference even with it being run through Android processing before it hits the dac. A portable amp is a way to remedy the low volume issue for now til there is some type of fix avail. For typical headphones listening, 32 ohm and under, an amp such as the old fiio e11, new a3, Cayin c5 on low gain, etc., will do

May 10, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #234 of 5,077
I primarily use my Red with the Dunu DN-2000J, an IEM which has a reputation for sharp treble and sibilance. It is my most trebley piece of equipment by far and paired with the Red sibilance and treble spikes are gone.

May 10, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #235 of 5,077

I ordered the Red several days ago. I decided to order the Black yesterday. I haven't received either yet. I figured the one I like most with my WP (since I can't use my Mojo) will be "everyday" DAC and the other will be relegated to laptop & backup duty. They are cheap enough to get both, imo. I don't like guessing the "what ifs". :p

May 10, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #236 of 5,077
I ordered the Red several days ago. I decided to order the Black yesterday. I haven't received either yet. I figured the one I like most with my WP (since I can't use my Mojo) will be "everyday" DAC and the other will be relegated to laptop & backup duty. They are cheap enough to get both, imo. I don't like guessing the "what ifs".
tongue.gif

Please report back your impressions! I'm always curious to hear Red vs Black direct comparisons...especially since everyone has seemed to have such a different opinion.

May 10, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #237 of 5,077
@WhiteNoises

A-B testing isn't the most reliable way to test gear. I suggest that for the rest of the 60-day trial period you listen to the Red exclusively. No switching to iPad. No switching to other sources if you can avoid it. All Red, all the time. Once you've acclimated to the sound, switch back and see if you notice any other differences.

May 11, 2016 at 4:38 AM Post #238 of 5,077
@WhiteNoises There may be no night and day differences but often if you hear more details one on piece of equipment you will hear it also on the other. Just because your mind knows it is there.
Have you tried first listening to the iPad and then the Dragon Fly? Of course this way you will hear the song a second time and it is more probable to find new elements in the music.
But I never had this when going from the Red to my phone only the other way round.
Still could be confirmation bias, as my mind wants to justify the purchase. The brain can play many tricks on you.

May 11, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #239 of 5,077
Just picked up a Mojo to compare with my Black.
On initial listening, there isn't a great deal between them although the Mojo definitely does have the edge.
I would be happier if it didn't (given the price differential) but I will need to spend longer with them both to decide whether the Mojo is better enough to justify keeping.

May 11, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #240 of 5,077
People who choose the red over the black. Do you get the same volume level from both?

I am a little bit impressed about your comments after my reported a/b test between both.

On the other hand I have tested Oppo ha2 and I am agree with later comments. It is a great piece of hardware but the sound does not convinced me, specially in low gain.

Now hard testing of mojo.
Let's see!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back