New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Sep 30, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #1,846 of 5,077
Has anyone paired a Dragonfly Red with a HD600 and/or HD650? I'm not sure if the Dragonfly has enough juice to amp it properly so that's why I'm asking. I currently have a HD598 and am looking to try one of these out.

Sep 30, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #1,847 of 5,077
  Has anyone paired a Dragonfly Red with a HD600 and/or HD650? I'm not sure if the Dragonfly has enough juice to amp it properly so that's why I'm asking. I currently have a HD598 and am looking to try one of these out.

i have. it can drive them, though im not shure if you would need more "authority" with them.

ill check this weekend the hd650 again, and get back to you.

Oct 1, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #1,848 of 5,077
Hi everyone,

I just bought a DragonFly Black to use in conjunction with my Nexus 6P, paired with an ATH MSR7. Device is working fine, detected by my audio player of choice (PowerAmp), and produces audio flawlessly through it. A question though...... I can't really..... appreciate a significant improvement in audio quality compared to the internal DAC of Nexus 6P. There is a sliiiiight advantage to DragonFly actually, provided that I'm not hallucinating. Is it my limit already to appreciate it? lol.

A different story compared to the internal DAC of my Dell XPS 15 9550 though (worry not, I disabled all the effects, including MaxxAudio, prior to testing). Dragonfly is FAR more superior, even to my untrained ears.

Anyone has the same statement as mine? Thanks.

Oct 1, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #1,849 of 5,077
Updated my iPad Air 2 to iOS 10 today. Now my dragonfly black doesn't work with it. Light stays red :frowning2:

Anyone want a dragonfly black? Lol

Oct 1, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #1,850 of 5,077
For those with both the DFR and mojo, which one do you prefer?

Oct 1, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #1,851 of 5,077
Updated my iPad Air 2 to iOS 10 today. Now my dragonfly black doesn't work with it. Light stays red :frowning2:

Anyone want a dragonfly black? Lol

Are you using an Apple branded lightning to USB adapter and if so is it the USB3 version. I'm not an iDevice user myself but I want to warn my son as he does use iPhone/iPad with DFB.

Oct 1, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #1,852 of 5,077
Hi everyone,

I just bought a DragonFly Black to use in conjunction with my Nexus 6P, paired with an ATH MSR7. Device is working fine, detected by my audio player of choice (PowerAmp), and produces audio flawlessly through it. A question though...... I can't really..... appreciate a significant improvement in audio quality compared to the internal DAC of Nexus 6P. There is a sliiiiight advantage to DragonFly actually, provided that I'm not hallucinating. Is it my limit already to appreciate it? lol.

A different story compared to the internal DAC of my Dell XPS 15 9550 though (worry not, I disabled all the effects, including MaxxAudio, prior to testing). Dragonfly is FAR more superior, even to my untrained ears.

Anyone has the same statement as mine? Thanks.

Try using USB Audio Player Pro. You can find a trial at the developer's website. Without UAPP your device is processing the sound before sending it to the DFB.

Oct 1, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #1,853 of 5,077
i have. it can drive them, though im not shure if you would need more "authority" with them.

ill check this weekend the hd650 again, and get back to you.

I found the hd650 and hd800 will play at high enough volumes with the dfr, the dfr just doesn't power them well enough to keep sound stage and bass. They become bass light.

Oct 1, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #1,854 of 5,077
Try using USB Audio Player Pro. You can find a trial at the developer's website. Without UAPP your device is processing the sound before sending it to the DFB.

yeah try that, we're all waiting for an early fall update that audioquest promised about a month ago. we gotta stay put.

I found the hd650 and hd800 will play at high enough volumes with the dfr, the dfr just doesn't power them well enough to keep sound stage and bass. They become bass light.

yeah i would agree 100%. bass light is a great way to put it.

although it serves fine with the dt1770 (250ohms) for genres like acoustic, folk, indie and electronic, classic imo. although for heavy treble and gain genres, it feels kinda lacking.

Oct 1, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #1,856 of 5,077

Overall (ease of use, portability, price) liked dragonfly red better and returned mojo for now. Might buy mojo again depending on the modules they are going to release or chord might release even something similar to DF - who knows.

Oct 1, 2016 at 6:55 PM Post #1,857 of 5,077

[/IMG]

Oct 1, 2016 at 10:13 PM Post #1,859 of 5,077

I prefer the mojo and returned the dfr, the dfr is fine for its price point but I prefer the extra detail and bass presence and ability to drive harder to drive headphones properly. Also returned the dfr for what was thought of as a defect with clicking sound but turns out it was just a compatibility issue with iPhone cck cable.

Oct 1, 2016 at 11:39 PM Post #1,860 of 5,077

Never actually owned the Mojo but have had the chance to borrow one to try. Overall the Mojo had the better sound and is more detailed/spacious but I'm not even sure it is fair to compare the two. They have a different form factor, different size and different price range.

The DFR works well as an on the go device with your mobile phone, it does only one thing and it does it well, it is small enough for it, along with you phone to still be pocketable. The Mojo has more inputs, more outputs and wider format support, it has it's own battery and when stacked with another device is portable but not really pocketable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back