New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Sep 29, 2016 at 11:53 PM Post #1,831 of 5,077
  Hello mate , i have a quest
at first sorry for my english
i have sell yesterday my onkyo dp-x1 , becouse i want a buy a phone for drive my music outside the home ..
i have the dragonfly red and senneihser hd600 and i use tidal for streaming music ..
what is best phone ?iphone  6s  or lg v10 ? or?
now i have one samsung s7 edge but i need use usb audio player pro , whitout this app , direct on my tidal hifi account dont work .. i try on my ipad air but the sound is only decent ...
any idea ? one phone android base work direct whit tidal on dragonfly red ?

If you want to use Android as just a transport buy yourself a Moto G (2nd or 3rd Gen), root it and install a custom rom CM13 works well, this is very easy to do. This model with CM13 work well with USB audio and because it is rooted you can get full volume control of the Dragonfly with all apps not just UAPP.

Here in the UK the Moto G is very cheap so makes a good player.

Sep 30, 2016 at 2:13 AM Post #1,832 of 5,077

Hi,

OK - lets see if we can state this as clearly as possilbe:

1. You cant buy ANY Android phone - current or otherwise - and expect it to drive the Dragonfly,  Ignore the hoopla re 'any version of Android after 5.xx' : the phone needs a sufficiently powerful battery and the manufacturer needs to implement USB audio properly. Of the 3 Android devices in my possession, only one works with the DF Black:

http://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/lenovo-tab-2-a7-10-7-tablet-sylena7tab

Given that its not a phone and few would be prepared to carry something that large around, you'll be better served with an Apple phone IMO for one simple reason : we know all current iPhone models work with nothing more than the Lightning-USB connector. The major issue seems to be around battery usage, and that's one area where the larger tablet / phablet form factor really shines.

2. I dont know what specific difficulties phone users face accessing TIDAL, but I've had no problems using Roon, Spotify, Youtube and other apps with the DFB. The only application that refuses to recognise it as my default output device is Audacity on my laptop but that's such a tiny fraction of AQ's target market that it really shouldnt concern us. I'm sure someone else here has TIDAL and can give you more info.

Hope this h

thanks for the help
I tried it with the iphone of my girlfriend and it works without any application, but while playing it feels like a sound, like a beep. I think I read about this problem to other people .. no way to solve?

Sep 30, 2016 at 2:23 AM Post #1,833 of 5,077
thanks for the help

I tried it with the iphone of my girlfriend and it works without any application, but while playing it feels like a sound, like a beep. I think I read about this problem to other people .. no way to solve?

It has been suggested that the new Apple Camera Connection Kit (CCK) that works with USB3 and has the charging port alongside the USB port overcomes the problems of popping/clicking/noise.

Sep 30, 2016 at 2:53 AM Post #1,835 of 5,077
It has been suggested that the new Apple Camera Connection Kit (CCK) that works with USB3 and has the charging port alongside the USB port

Link me in amazon pls ?

It's this one

http://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/MK0W2ZM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-MK0W2ZM-A-Lightning-USB/dp/B01DGDNL2G/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1475218363&sr=8-3&keywords=Lightning+to+usb+3

Sep 30, 2016 at 4:39 AM Post #1,836 of 5,077
I bought a third-party Lightning->USB cable for a mere $2 AUD shipped from China (via eBay), and it works well with my DragonFly Red / iPhone 6S+.

Worth trying if you don't want to buy the official Camera Kit from Apple.

Sep 30, 2016 at 6:48 AM Post #1,837 of 5,077
There have been reports that some of the non-MFi certified cables have stopped working under iOS 10. Don't know how true this is but be careful with non certified third party devices as there are no guarantees that they will continue working under future firmware updates.

Sep 30, 2016 at 6:51 AM Post #1,838 of 5,077
There have been reports that some of the non-MFi certified cables have stopped working under iOS 10. Don't know how true this is but be careful with non certified third party devices as there are no guarantees that they will continue working under future firmware updates.

Interesting - FWIW I'm on iOS 10.0.2 and haven't had any dramas, but I've admittedly only clocked a few hours of usage with the third-party cable thus far.

Sep 30, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #1,841 of 5,077
  I don't have any other iOS devices to test with. Do you think that the DF having popping with specific models could/would be fixed with any kind of software update?

There's a FAQ on the Audioquest website that discusses the problem I had and which you might have.  Or you can look at some of my (and others') recent posts on this thread.

From what I've read and the testing I've done, the problem is with Apple.  It affects a small percentage of iDevices including some 6S's and 7's. I don't know if Audioquest has reports of the same problem in other models.  Audioquest submitted a bug report to Apple in May, but neither Apple nor Audioquest has identified the cause.  The workaround is to buy Apple's USB-3 CCK instead of the standard CCK.

Sep 30, 2016 at 6:39 PM Post #1,842 of 5,077
  There's a FAQ on the Audioquest website that discusses the problem I had and which you might have.  Or you can look at some of my (and others') recent posts on this thread.

From what I've read and the testing I've done, the problem is with Apple.  It affects a small percentage of iDevices including some 6S's and 7's. I don't know if Audioquest has reports of the same problem in other models.  Audioquest submitted a bug report to Apple in May, but neither Apple nor Audioquest has identified the cause.  The workaround is to buy Apple's USB-3 CCK instead of the standard CCK.

Does this happen only when cell signal is on? If so, what band does your phone use? GSM or CDMA?

Sep 30, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #1,843 of 5,077
I admit that I havent bothered to register my DFB with AQ, but its a little disappointing that the 'desktop app' still hasnt been released. No firmware updates ? How about an update to detect whether or not the DF is plugged into a Windows computer and give users some sort of preamp capability so they dont get a sonic blast with the volume slider at '10' ......
eek.gif

Sep 30, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #1,845 of 5,077
It happens when I switch to Airplane mode and turn wi-fi and Bluetooth off.

Bummer. It's hard to believe the issue is some sort of random manufacturing defect versus slight variations of internal specs for different carriers. My iPhone 7 Tmobile 10.0.0.2 works fine with DFR + official CCK. I use Apple Music and iAudiogate. No problems with cell and wifi turned on either. I doubt AudioQuest is going to get any help from Apple since DFR is not MFI certified. I suppose another possibility is that the CCK cable has undergone some version changes and perhaps specific versions have a problem. My CCK cable is at least 3 years old.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back