New desktop USB DAC&AMP - FiiO K3 (E30),384K/32b,DSD DOP,typeC
Dec 30, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #121 of 208
I understand you as dsd also not so important to me. But just trying to make everything work as it should be. As fiio states that it should play till dsd256. But with foobar is some unexplainable problems. For me it also seem a little bit complicated with foobar2000. Forhaps need to try other programs. Just to make sure it works till max as it should :) Never have used jriver. Does it support dsd ?
Yes, of course. You can download it and test with the free trial.

Dec 30, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #123 of 208
I understand you as dsd also not so important to me. But just trying to make everything work as it should be. As fiio states that it should play till dsd256. But with foobar is some unexplainable problems. For me it also seem a little bit complicated with foobar2000. Forhaps need to try other programs. Just to make sure it works till max as it should :) Never have used jriver. Does it support dsd ?
You can bitstream directly with JRiver MC, when the DAC supports it: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DSD
There is a free trial version of JRiver MC24 https://www.jriver.com/download.html

Dec 30, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #124 of 208
You can bitstream directly with JRiver MC, when the DAC supports it: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DSD
There is a free trial version of JRiver MC24 https://www.jriver.com/download.html

Have to say big thanks, really appreciate the help. Set to stream section to DSD in JRIVER and now receiving full DSD mode in fiio control panel and sample rate is correct. So now i know that it's real DSD bitstream, not converted to PCM. So after this have to say Jriver is a lot better there. Will try it and perhaps will buy full version, because it made dsd work. Fiio K3 really is capable to decode DSD256, only there are some problems with Foobar ASIO support. Fiio should keep in mind this. Seems that foobar components not working as it should. Happy now

Dec 30, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #125 of 208
Have to say big thanks, really appreciate the help. Set to stream section to DSD in JRIVER and now receiving full DSD mode in fiio control panel and sample rate is correct. So now i know that it's real DSD bitstream, not converted to PCM. So after this have to say Jriver is a lot better there. Will try it and perhaps will buy full version, because it made dsd work. Fiio K3 really is capable to decode DSD256, only there are some problems with Foobar ASIO support. Fiio should keep in mind this. Seems that foobar components not working as it should. Happy now
Happy that this is working now.
JRiver MC is a capable player, with lots of video and photo functionality I don't use, you can set it to Audio only mode, which makes it a bit easier to handle, but it is still not very intuitive to use.
I am using it for over 6 years now and still discovering new things....

Note when the gear/setting symbol (top right) lights up blue you know the audiopath is bitperfect, so hasn't been changed along the way.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #126 of 208
Happy that this is working now.
JRiver MC is a capable player, with lots of video and photo functionality I don't use, you can set it to Audio only mode, which makes it a bit easier to handle, but it is still not very intuitive to use.
I am using it for over 6 years now and still discovering new things....

Note when the gear/setting symbol (top right) lights up blue you know the audiopath is bitperfect, so hasn't been changed along the way.
Thanks i will keep this in mind. I see there is so much to find there. I think i will use it for audio mainly. But i like that there possibility to use any other way.

Dec 31, 2018 at 9:15 PM Post #127 of 208
Anybody using the line out? I recently upgraded to the K3 from the E10K. On the E10K, I can hook up my desktop speakers to the line out and the volume is controlled from the speakers only. When I hook up my speakers to the K3, it seems like the volume knob on the K3 controls the speakers as well which is annoying.

Dec 31, 2018 at 10:24 PM Post #128 of 208
Anybody using the line out? I recently upgraded to the K3 from the E10K. On the E10K, I can hook up my desktop speakers to the line out and the volume is controlled from the speakers only. When I hook up my speakers to the K3, it seems like the volume knob on the K3 controls the speakers as well which is annoying.

Or handy. Consider those who have active monitors with volume controls on the back - which are supposed to be used with an active pre-amp. My JBL LSR-305s are excellent desktop monitors, but the controls are on the rear. With the K3 - I can turn them on and control them with the FiiO. For someone who has volume controls on the speakers, you have two options:
1) Full volume on K3 and control volume with speaker controls.
2) Full volume on speakers and control volume with K3

FiiO did good with the design IMO - caters for everyone. Just needs some adjustment as to how you use it.

Jan 1, 2019 at 4:07 AM Post #129 of 208
Here are my thoughts on the nifty little K3. Enjoy. :)
https://primeaudio.org/fiio-k3-review/

FiiO K3 top down.jpg

Jan 1, 2019 at 4:46 AM Post #130 of 208
Here are my thoughts on the nifty little K3. Enjoy. :)
https://primeaudio.org/fiio-k3-review/

Thanks for your honest and informative review of this wonderfully built and sounding dac. As i have it and tested can say the same about it's sounding. It's really flat in all frequencies and all iems and headphones i have really shines. The final result is very musical ant "correct" sound, having character of headphones you have but not colored by dac. Also frow my experience with mobile listening there it also shines. Using usb player pro as many and there are no problem at all. Sound is amazing with it. Plays all hi rez files, only dsd isn't available there because it needs asio driver for windows. Dac receives dsd signal from usb player pro as the green led is turning on, but only some noise is heard. So forhaps in the future it will be possible to decode without windows drivers. But i also agree that for this price ( soundwise and for much more) there is one of the best dacs you can get now. Fiio done everything right there. It's versatility, good sounding combo is amazing. After your test with meze classic want to test it too as i wanted to order it long time ago. No knowing it's a good match it will be easier to decide. Thanks. Wanted also hd650 butt forhaps for more power demanding headphones as these you will need separate amplifier.

Jan 1, 2019 at 4:52 AM Post #131 of 208
Thanks for your honest and informative review of this wonderfully built and sounding dac. As i have it and tested can say the same about it's sounding. It's really flat in all frequencies and all iems and headphones i have really shines. The final result is very musical ant "correct" sound, having character of headphones you have but not colored by dac. Also frow my experience with mobile listening there it also shines. Using usb player pro as many and there are no problem at all. Sound is amazing with it. Plays all hi rez files, only dsd isn't available there because it needs asio driver for windows. Dac receives dsd signal from usb player pro as the green led is turning on, but only some noise is heard. So forhaps in the future it will be possible to decode without windows drivers. But i also agree that for this price ( soundwise and for much more) there is one of the best dacs you can get now. Fiio done everything right there. It's versatility, good sounding combo is amazing. After your test with meze classic want to test it too as i wanted to order it long time ago. No knowing it's a good match it will be easier to decide. Thanks. Wanted also hd650 butt forhaps for more power demanding headphones as these you will need separate amplifier.
I think you could be right about the HD650 needing a more powerful amp but I don't have one to test. I tried to buy the Massdrop HD58X last week but they don't ship to Thailand. :frowning2:

Yes, the 99 Classics are so good with the K3, just beautiful to listen to.

Jan 1, 2019 at 9:35 PM Post #132 of 208
Dear friend,

Thanks for sharing the information. But we tested the foobar and from the picture we show the DSD256 works fine as well. :sweat:We will report to other users if they failed to get DSD 256 work next time.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jan 1, 2019 at 9:49 PM Post #133 of 208
Or handy. Consider those who have active monitors with volume controls on the back - which are supposed to be used with an active pre-amp. My JBL LSR-305s are excellent desktop monitors, but the controls are on the rear. With the K3 - I can turn them on and control them with the FiiO. For someone who has volume controls on the speakers, you have two options:
1) Full volume on K3 and control volume with speaker controls.
2) Full volume on speakers and control volume with K3

FiiO did good with the design IMO - caters for everyone. Just needs some adjustment as to how you use it.

My issue with this is that I always have my headphones plugged in. Since mine are open back, you can hear them from the outside. If I start to turn up the volume knob on the K3 to turn up the sound for the speakers, the headphones will be louder too. Might keep my E10K just for the speakers for now.

Jan 2, 2019 at 12:58 AM Post #134 of 208
Sorry if this has been suggested already but have you checked the audio device settings in Windows?

Sorry to bring this up again, i got a question, after i set the 384k quality, why does Spotify skips all songs? 192k however brings it back to normal, just curious on this.

EDIT: now the problem exists only in spotify.

@FiiO, please kindly help me out, i'm kinda curious on this.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2019 at 1:05 AM Post #135 of 208
Sorry to bring this up again, i got a question, after i set the 384k quality, why does my windows in general doesn't want to playback any sound? spotify just skips to all songs and games doesn't play sound at all, however at 192k its normal, is it defective unit or my pc need configuring? (I rarely use DACs in the first place, hence my stupid question).
Some older games simply don't have support for the newer high-quality files (32-bit).I haven't tried Spotify with that setting and can't test it until I get home. Your system isn't defective though, just that some applications are limited to 24bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back