New DENON "Music Maniac" & "Urban Raver" Lines: D7100, D600, D400 & C300 Impressions Thread
Oct 17, 2012 at 5:56 AM Post #1,141 of 1,588
BTW, for those of you who haven't seen it in person, the frame looks and feels a lot like the Nokia Lumia's polycarbonate shell.

Oct 17, 2012 at 6:17 AM Post #1,142 of 1,588
I really enjoy these. Just wondering if a fiio e17 out of my galaxy note2 jack cable will be any good ?

Oct 17, 2012 at 9:05 AM Post #1,144 of 1,588
dizzyraider,

Good writing and you exactly expressed what I always feel as for AH-D600.
Very well executed headphones under hard denigration from those who expected straight succesor of D5k/D7K (too much), and hard comparison to those predecessors.

Oct 17, 2012 at 9:48 AM Post #1,145 of 1,588
Quote:
Though I might chime in on this as well.

Having the RS1i as well as the HD650 for home use, I wanted to pick up a closed set that also won't be too much of a downgrade in terms of sound quality. After doing some reading and looking around, I had my heart set on the D5K. I though the wood look is very tasteful and I've read nothing but positive feedback from those who have had the chance to listen to it. Wanting to find a pair for the right price, I sat on it for too long and then Denon made the announcement for the new line. As most of you who have looked into the marketplace now must know, D5K is now either hard to find or being sold at a premium. That's when I started looking at the D600 as a real option.

Not wanting to spend 5 bills on a brand new set of headphones without first knowing what it may sound like, I elected to wait a bit and see what some of the early adopters say regarding their experience. Also I thought that because unlike the D5K which had wooden cups, the D600 does not and thus doesn't look as elegant, so it seemed likely to me that the market price could come down a bit as it wouldn't hold the old D5K's price point (Amazon has it for $400 new as we speak). As expected, some reviews of the D600 started to pop up as more and more members got their hand on it, but it seemed that many were disappointed with what they found in the D600.

Two weeks ago I noticed OneCall had an open box for $359 available, I decided to take the plunge and check this set out myself. OneCall (Authorized Denon dealer with full warranty) was awesome as they shipped the item out and provided me the tracking number the very same day I ordered. Two days later I had the D600 at my front door. Opened the package, I was surprised to find a completely seal brand new set with all the seals still in tact, it seems that OneCall had sent me a brand new unopened set of D600.

I popped open the box and found the D600 nicely packaged, and of course I immediately plugged the D600 into my setup to see how they sound.

First thought, the D600 is big. At least it looked smaller to me from the pictures.
Second thought, Damn these things are comfortable....

I sat there for a while just listening

40 minutes later...

I had decided that I was completely satisfied with my purchase. It wasn't that I sat there analyzing these cans for 40 minutes and trying to figure out whether they are worth it, but it was the fact that I just found myself sitting there enjoying the sound that came out them.

I'm not going to speak for other as everyone has different taste and preference, as well as what they expect from a product of a certain price range. But I will leave you with my thoughts on these D600 after 2 weeks of listening.

I'm not sure why there are such negativity surrounding this set (actually I kind of do, as most of them came from previous D5K or D2K owners looking for an upgrade)
Since I've never heard them I guess I won't be able to make the comparison. My approach to the D600 was that I was going to judge it by what it sounded like to me, and not how it sounds comparing to others cans that I own. I came in understanding that the D600 is really a different line to what the D7K, D5K, and D2K was, so when people mentioned how it didn't sound the same, that really wasn't a surprise. 

I didn't find the D600 to be horrible sounding cans, and definitely not as one member mentioned "non-audiophile' quality (I guess this could also be up to interpretation as to what constitutes audiophile grade....) I found them to have a good amount of detail with slightly stronger bass then probably a flatter set, but it wasn't a bad thing as the bass didn't sound sloppy to me. It is definitely a good complement to the others sets that I have. The D600 are incredibly comfortable to wear, and for these past 2 weeks I have found myself reaching for them over my other two cans on many occasions.

So if you were or are looking at the D600, I truly suggest that you either go to a local store that may have a set for you to try out, or order from a place that has a good return policy. Because in the end, I know I was definitely glad that I gave them a chance to make an impression on me :)

(I apologize for this long ass post....)

Good post!

About the previous line vs new line thing, a friend of mine compared the D5K with the D600 and stated that the D5K has a warmer midrange and more balanced tonality while the D600 sounds a bit cleaner with stronger bass, which can be good or bad.

Personally, I very much enjoy the D600 for the awesome comfort, and powerful smooth sound. They don't sound bright but still have sparkle and energy up top. The bass is massive and sometimes a bit too much, but most of the time is stays within control and goes very low. These are fabulous movie watching cans. 

Main issues for me is a slight recession in the upper mids (I think) and a resonance in the bass. But overall I think they do very well as general-purpose cans on the go or at home. The comfort, the remote for my iPad, the engaging but still soft sound, the isolation etc. And some extra bass is nice when on the go anyway, on trains or in generally loud environments. 

They really shine with Yello, portraying seismic bass, lots of detail, clear soundstage and speedy transients. These are not sloppy at all..

Oct 18, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #1,148 of 1,588
just listen to those d5000s in your pic and forget about these d600s

btw, i am enjoying the stupid bass on these 600s.   i'm listening to Bat for Lashes new record and it makes many booms.  it's like having beats without the shame of having beats.

Oct 19, 2012 at 2:23 AM Post #1,149 of 1,588
I owned the D600 for about 3 weeks, and I think I posted some semi-harsh criticisms during that time; in fact, I might have posted that they were not audiophile quality. I still stand by that statement though. But I do admit that these headphones are far superior to anything Beats. What's more, I'll admit to missing their amazing comfort; they may have been the most comfortable headphones I've ever donned. And yes, I will admit to one further thing: the D600 sure had some very seductive bass, but unfortunately the bass was plagued by unpleasant resonances--and that was the main reason I returned them, well that and their conspicuous lack of treble energy.  Also, I agree with the general sentiment that these headphones would be a good deal at 299 greenbacks, say, or $349 even, but there are simply too many amazing offerings in the $500 dollar price bracket to ever justify the the msrp. But then again, I suppose everything is relative to your expectations and past headphone purchases, so I can see why some people would consider the D600 a good deal even at the msrp. 

Oct 22, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #1,151 of 1,588
Quote:
Heard Denon AH-D400 is a piece of garbage, is it? Could get one for about 200$. are they worth it?

how would you rate them compared to dt1350, hd25-1 or the new UE6000? 
I am looking for a new pair of portable headphones.

Probably won't surpass 1350 and 25-1 in sound quality alone, but should at least be on par with UE6000. The 6000 has pretty bloated bass, which seems similar to what the D400 is all about. Bling factor is also a plus with D400 (depends on taste ofc).

Also, about the D600, having listened to stock D5000 for more than a year, I honestly cannot say that D600 has bloated/uncontrolled bass. Compared to the D5000, the D600's bass is tighter and more controlled, despite not reaching as deep (D5000 still wins the sub-bass war). I can sometimes read bass notes I couldn't identify with the D5000. Overall the D5000 is warmer, D600 is airier. Treble is really nice as well, it extends enough to sparkle, while not as prone to sibilance as the D5000. I generally dislike rolled off treble, which is why I find the likes of M-80 and HD 650 to be terrible cans. Okay, I may get a lot of bricks thrown at me here, but that's how my ears perceive things. You may argue that this $1000 dac/amp and that $300 cable will make the 650 sound perfect and not veiled, why not just buy something with decent treble extension in the first place. 

So yes, if people expect the D600 to sound similar or even an upgrade from D5000 of course they would be let down, as they have different sound sigs even though not by much. 

Oct 22, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #1,152 of 1,588
Quote:
Heard Denon AH-D400 is a piece of garbage, is it? Could get one for about 200$. are they worth it?

how would you rate them compared to dt1350, hd25-1 or the new UE6000? 
I am looking for a new pair of portable headphones.

I owned the D400 for a few days.  It is truly one of the worst sounding headphones ever made and not worth even $200.  If you want to hear what I hoped the D400 would sound like, get the UE6000- it is excellent for bassheads with good sound across the range and neutral highs- worth every bit of the same $200.  I highly recommend those.

Oct 22, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #1,154 of 1,588
Quote:

Also, about the D600, having listened to stock D5000 for more than a year, I honestly cannot say that D600 has bloated/uncontrolled bass. Compared to the D5000, the D600's bass is tighter and more controlled, despite not reaching as deep (D5000 still wins the sub-bass war). I can sometimes read bass notes I couldn't identify with the D5000. Overall the D5000 is warmer, D600 is airier. Treble is really nice as well, it extends enough to sparkle, while not as prone to sibilance as the D5000. I generally dislike rolled off treble, which is why I find the likes of M-80 and HD 650 to be terrible cans. Okay, I may get a lot of bricks thrown at me here, but that's how my ears perceive things. You may argue that this $1000 dac/amp and that $300 cable will make the 650 sound perfect and not veiled, why not just buy something with decent treble extension in the first place. 

So yes, if people expect the D600 to sound similar or even an upgrade from D5000 of course they would be let down, as they have different sound sigs even though not by much

Agreed with above- treble is not rolled off, just not peaky IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back