New DENON "Music Maniac" & "Urban Raver" Lines: D7100, D600, D400 & C300 Impressions Thread
Oct 14, 2012 at 6:01 AM Post #1,127 of 1,588
Oct 15, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #1,128 of 1,588
these headphones(d600) aren't that bad.  i'm still using them,  because they are still new to me.  i just wish i didn't drop $420 on them.  back when i got my d2000s i got them for $270 or something like that.  if i bought (my d600s) for $339 which is their current best price, i would feel better about the whole affair.

i think people that are looking for cans right now should consider just getting the d2000s (i just google shopped them for $349) and know you got the last of the best denon had to offer at this price range

i pray they never break (my d2000s that is)

Oct 15, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #1,129 of 1,588
^ Agreed, I personally find the D600 very decent, at least for portable use, they sound great straight out of an iPod, and the mic/remote is a plus :) Compared with the 2 old flagships, the D600 is more airy sounding, with slightly less bass presence than the D5000, maybe a little bit more mid-bass than the D7000, and sub-bass is worse than both. I prefer female vocals on the D600 than the D5000 TBH. They are not sibilance-free, but noticably less so than both the predecessors, and the highs still extends nicely enough to not sound dark/veiled. 

Certainly not quite worth MSRP though. Whether or not it's worth 350-400 bucks is subjective, but considering the Beats Pro is also 400 bucks the D600 crushes it in every way. If you want something that is portable, with good sound and isolation, and happen to have an iDevice, the D600 is a great choice. Just my 2 cents of opinion. 

Oct 15, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #1,130 of 1,588
Quote:
^ Agreed, I personally find the D600 very decent, at least for portable use, they sound great straight out of an iPod, and the mic/remote is a plus :) Compared with the 2 old flagships, the D600 is more airy sounding, with slightly less bass presence than the D5000, maybe a little bit more mid-bass than the D7000, and sub-bass is worse than both. I prefer female vocals on the D600 than the D5000 TBH. They are not sibilance-free, but noticably less so than both the predecessors, and the highs still extends nicely enough to not sound dark/veiled. 

Certainly not quite worth MSRP though. Whether or not it's worth 350-400 bucks is subjective, but considering the Beats Pro is also 400 bucks the D600 crushes it in every way. If you want something that is portable, with good sound and isolation, and happen to have an iDevice, the D600 is a great choice. Just my 2 cents of opinion. 

They sound great with non-iDevices too you just have to use longer cable which at least provided while other companies will force you spend extra money and you are lucky if compatible and affordable cable is available (UE6000 can use V-Moda cable for example) otherwise you will have to get expensive custom made cable

Oct 15, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #1,131 of 1,588
A pair of brand new D400 sold on ebay for about $150. 3 Months after release and they're super down already. I might pick up a pair of D600 in 6 months when they get down to that level 
deadhorse.gif

Oct 16, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #1,132 of 1,588
Quote:
They sound great with non-iDevices too you just have to use longer cable which at least provided while other companies will force you spend extra money and you are lucky if compatible and affordable cable is available (UE6000 can use V-Moda cable for example) otherwise you will have to get expensive custom made cable

The plugs into the phones are regular mini jacks so I don't think they should be that hard to make/find, unlike the HD 598 for example with the awkward 2.5 mm jack. The only problem is that they are double entry so single entry cables won't work.

P.S. just let my roommate have a listen on the D600, now he is in the process of "rediscovering" his music with them 
etysmile.gif

Oct 16, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #1,134 of 1,588
if i would have waited one week i would have saved $80. if i would have bought them for $499 from amazon i would have returned them.....and to be honest, i would have then gone ahead and bought them again from fumfie for $339.  then i would feel like the fox who got the chicken.  the $80 would then be wasted on something else.

you sir, will wait and wait and get them for the true correct price,.... the future price.

the moral of the story is.......wait, the future will reveal itself.

i think denon might rethink the next batch if they slump in sales

Oct 16, 2012 at 2:17 AM Post #1,135 of 1,588
Quote:
A pair of brand new D400 sold on ebay for about $150. 3 Months after release and they're super down already. I might pick up a pair of D600 in 6 months when they get down to that level 
deadhorse.gif

They sold that low because the seller forgot to put a reserve price lol. Im sure he's pissed now, he just lost $250.

Oct 16, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #1,137 of 1,588
Well, compared to the other hi-fi home theater names that have some presence in the headphone world like B&W, B&O, JBL, Bose or Yamaha, Denon did a commendable job with their new cans, considering the new ones have almost nothing to do with the old ones that Fostex made. The P5 is just a uncomfortable and muddy mess with no treble presence every time I try it, the only thing it has going for it is the sleek B&W design. The D600 is a bit dorky looking at first sight, but now I've finally brought myself to appreciate it. Waiting a bit for the street price to settle down, and I think the new Denons can sell well enough. D7100 has been as low as 800 bucks, still 1200 at amazon though, but at least we can hope.

Oct 16, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #1,138 of 1,588
Quote:

The plugs into the phones are regular mini jacks so I don't think they should be that hard to make/find, unlike the HD 598 for example with the awkward 2.5 mm jack. The only problem is that they are double entry so single entry cables won't work.

P.S. just let my roommate have a listen on the D600, now he is in the process of "rediscovering" his music with them 
etysmile.gif

No No No-- I went through this already, these are not standard 3.5mm plugs, they have an indent that keeps them snapped in, otherwise standard plugs fall out very easily.

Also, I agree, these sound very good- maybe not $499 good but they have a smoothness and richness that is very pleasing- and they at least isolate outside noise which the D2/5/7 series did not at all.

Oct 16, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #1,139 of 1,588
Quote:
No No No-- I went through this already, these are not standard 3.5mm plugs, they have an indent that keeps them snapped in, otherwise standard plugs fall out very easily.

Also, I agree, these sound very good- maybe not $499 good but they have a smoothness and richness that is very pleasing- and they at least isolate outside noise which the D2/5/7 series did not at all.

Thanks for the clarification, they do fit in a mini plug headphone out so I just kinda assumed that. And yeah isolation is very good, almost as good as the QC15 actually. I don't like the Bose for normal use outside of planes/trains because after I take them off my ears become awfully sensitive to all kinds of background noise. 

Oct 17, 2012 at 5:36 AM Post #1,140 of 1,588
Though I might chime in on this as well.

Having the RS1i as well as the HD650 for home use, I wanted to pick up a closed set that also won't be too much of a downgrade in terms of sound quality. After doing some reading and looking around, I had my heart set on the D5K. I though the wood look is very tasteful and I've read nothing but positive feedback from those who have had the chance to listen to it. Wanting to find a pair for the right price, I sat on it for too long and then Denon made the announcement for the new line. As most of you who have looked into the marketplace now must know, D5K is now either hard to find or being sold at a premium. That's when I started looking at the D600 as a real option.

Not wanting to spend 5 bills on a brand new set of headphones without first knowing what it may sound like, I elected to wait a bit and see what some of the early adopters say regarding their experience. Also I thought that because unlike the D5K which had wooden cups, the D600 does not and thus doesn't look as elegant, so it seemed likely to me that the market price could come down a bit as it wouldn't hold the old D5K's price point (Amazon has it for $400 new as we speak). As expected, some reviews of the D600 started to pop up as more and more members got their hand on it, but it seemed that many were disappointed with what they found in the D600.

Two weeks ago I noticed OneCall had an open box for $359 available, I decided to take the plunge and check this set out myself. OneCall (Authorized Denon dealer with full warranty) was awesome as they shipped the item out and provided me the tracking number the very same day I ordered. Two days later I had the D600 at my front door. Opened the package, I was surprised to find a completely seal brand new set with all the seals still in tact, it seems that OneCall had sent me a brand new unopened set of D600.

I popped open the box and found the D600 nicely packaged, and of course I immediately plugged the D600 into my setup to see how they sound.

First thought, the D600 is big. At least it looked smaller to me from the pictures.
Second thought, Damn these things are comfortable....

I sat there for a while just listening

40 minutes later...

I had decided that I was completely satisfied with my purchase. It wasn't that I sat there analyzing these cans for 40 minutes and trying to figure out whether they are worth it, but it was the fact that I just found myself sitting there enjoying the sound that came out them.

I'm not going to speak for other as everyone has different taste and preference, as well as what they expect from a product of a certain price range. But I will leave you with my thoughts on these D600 after 2 weeks of listening.

I'm not sure why there are such negativity surrounding this set (actually I kind of do, as most of them came from previous D5K or D2K owners looking for an upgrade)
Since I've never heard them I guess I won't be able to make the comparison. My approach to the D600 was that I was going to judge it by what it sounded like to me, and not how it sounds comparing to others cans that I own. I came in understanding that the D600 is really a different line to what the D7K, D5K, and D2K was, so when people mentioned how it didn't sound the same, that really wasn't a surprise. 

I didn't find the D600 to be horrible sounding cans, and definitely not as one member mentioned "non-audiophile' quality (I guess this could also be up to interpretation as to what constitutes audiophile grade....) I found them to have a good amount of detail with slightly stronger bass then probably a flatter set, but it wasn't a bad thing as the bass didn't sound sloppy to me. It is definitely a good complement to the others sets that I have. The D600 are incredibly comfortable to wear, and for these past 2 weeks I have found myself reaching for them over my other two cans on many occasions.

So if you were or are looking at the D600, I truly suggest that you either go to a local store that may have a set for you to try out, or order from a place that has a good return policy. Because in the end, I know I was definitely glad that I gave them a chance to make an impression on me :)

(I apologize for this long ass post....)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back